Lust in the Dust - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lust in the Dust Reviews

½ August 15, 2014
Somehow it manages to be outrageous in a very predictable way.
½ June 14, 2014
LUST IN THE DUST aspires to be a Western spoof, but the fact is that it's just not that funny. Divine plays Rosie Velez, a former dancehall girl who embarks on a journey to Chili Verde. Along the way she meets Abel Wood (Tab Hunter), a mostly silent gunman who is clearly meant to be a parody of Clint Eastwood's "Man with No Name" character. The first half-hour of the movie is ok and had some good one-liners, but once the plot kicked in the movie got really boring and hokey. The drive for the plot is a stash of gold hidden somewhere near Chili Verde, and people have been looking for it a long time. Also included in the mix is an outlaw gang and a "cantina" owned by Marguerita Ventura. All of these people are after it, and all they have to go on is a limerick that's been passed down for 30 some-odd years. Despite the obvious flaws, there were some positive elements be had. Among them are Divine, who does play a more subdued character than usual, but still gives an interesting performance. There was also a small role early on with Henry Silva playing a Mexican, although the humor derived from him was mostly due to the ridiculous accent he puts on. There was also a couple of songs, each sung by one of the leading ladies. Other than that, the movie was a mess plot-wise, and the ending was entirely too convoluted and drawn out. It's a shame that Divine didn't live longer because it was at this point that she really came into her own as a (semi-)serious actor. The material she was given to work with wasn't too great, but it's worth at least one viewing for her fans. For everyone else, it probably isn't worth your time.
May 9, 2014
awesome spoof of spaghetti westerns
April 5, 2014
It has Divine but it isn't the same without John Waters. It wasn't horrible, but I won't see it again.
themoviewaffler.com
December 9, 2013
Making a Western in the eighties must have seemed a bold idea. Making a camp, farcical, musical one with a female impersonator in the lead may have been outright foolhardy. Lust in the Dust is a film that on the surface should be a delight; a mixture of the high camp grotesquerie and satire that has served John Waters wayward work so well combined with the independent spirit and nose for contemporary issues in a grindhouse package that had produced such films as Eating Raoul and Death Race 2000 for director Paul Bartel.
When strong thighed Chanteuse Rosie Velez (Divine) arrives in the small desert backwater of Chilli Verde with her savior Abel Wood (Hunter), a mystery surrounding missing gold, a limerick and the existence of two tattooed buttocks unfolds. Add a rivalry between Rosie and the pneumatically upholstered Marguerita Ventura (Kazan) that could turn murderous and a gang of outlaws arriving on the scene also looking for the treasure and revenge. The plot is well worn, all the better to hang a series of set pieces, which, depending on your tolerance for high camp and the dubious charms of Divine as both an actor and singer, is either nails on the blackboard excruciating or a gay delight.

The problem is that the film seems so geared towards cult status, aiming for a raucous 42nd street or Scala Cinema crowd that positively demands interaction. It goes for bad taste but Bartel's film chops are too skilled to make a deliberately grubby movie.What you get is a mixture of sub par Carry On innuendo mixed with a rich visual aesthetic that wouldn't disgrace a mainstream Western ( The films title comes from the nickname for the film Duel in the Sun, scandalously sexy and cleavage heaving in its day). The authenticity also stretches to the casting of such familiar faces as Juliette's dad and long time Clint Eastwood collaborator Geoffrey Lewis and John Ford regular Woody Strode. Throw in gimlet eyed character actor Henry Silva and one time Batman nemesis Cesar Romero and you have no lack of named performers who can do this stuff in their sleep. Even Tab Hunter is giving it his full Clint impression as Abel Wood.

Made as a showcase for Divine, who had previously worked with Hunter on Polyester, the former Harris Glen Milstead has always been an acquired taste. Briefly hitting the UK charts with a cover of the song "Walk Like a Man", but mostly known for her work with John Waters and in particular the original version of Hairspray. In Lust in the Dust the mixture of high camp and low brow comedy clashes with the labored drag schtick that Divine peddles here. Always working best as part of an ensemble, Waters always managed to bring the best out of her. Waters likes his grotesques and is unafraid to put them front and center, aiming his barbs at a square society that values surface over character, and if he can get someone to eat a dog turd on camera then all the better. You can tell Divine has gone mainstream with this Western, no fresh steamer here, a clearly fake dead vulture is as stomach turning as it gets.
In the end, what we have is a film uncertain in its approach. Afraid of letting itself go. It wants to be vulgar but not to disgust. It wants to flame and be camp, but not so it offends or be too flagrant in its homosexuality. It's trying to be good bad taste and no one wants that. Or to put it another way, don't feed me a Mars bar and tell me it's dog shit.
(Review by Jason Abbey)
August 20, 2013
Awesome cat fight, drag queen monologues, and tons more--A Divine Western!!
July 29, 2013
This is all sorts of awful. Amazing.
April 7, 2013
Even if Divine was in it, it hardly made me laugh.
½ April 3, 2013
Seeing this movie out of whim, it was the first time I heard of many of these stars in the movie. It was more like lackluster in the dust, to be perfectly honest.
366weirdmovies
½ January 23, 2013
Four people (including overweight drag queen Divine as a dancehall girl) scheme to find the gold buried in the desert town of Chili Verde. This goofy Wetsern spoof labors most of the jokes but it's fairly watchable, and Lainie Kazan does have a great musical number ("Let Me Take You South of My Border").
January 1, 2013
A couple funny jokes. I expected more.
December 31, 2012
I love this movie so much I bought the DVD , Divine and Tab Hunter are fantastic, its an enjoyable romp, people who dont like this have no humour, its great
½ June 12, 2012
Dancehall girl, Rosie Velez, lost in the desert, is helped to safety by gunman Abel Wood. In the town of Chili Verde, at the saloon of Marguerita Ventura, a word of a treasure in gold brings Abel into conflict with outlaw Hard Case Williams and his gang.
½ March 2, 2012
"Lust in the Dust" can best be described as the worst John Waters movie that Waters never made. It stars Divine, and features a lot of distasteful sex humor that isn't nearly as effective as Waters was in his prime. There's not a single laugh (or even smile) in the desperate, incredibly unappealing film.
I can see how Divine became a pop culture icon for the gay community, and while I consider myself to be pretty free-thinking, I've always found him to be unsettling. Even in the more family friendly "Hairspray", he's creepy and unlikable. And that was a good movie. I've appreciated Paul Bartel's sense of humor as a director before in films like "Death Race 2000", but here its a lot cause.
I don't know how anyone during the filing process could have seen this becoming a successful project. It's a mess from beginning to end as it meanders from low point to low point. In fact, this film reaches a new low point in a lot of people's careers, but I kept coming back to the film's focal pint Divine. Watching his annoying, disgusting performance here is simply painful.
Tab Hunter sleepwalks through his role, Lainie Kazan almost matches the star in the competition for the most unappealing female here and Henry Silva is thoroughly wasted in his ridiculous part. And despite the similarities, Waters would never write a film that is this forgettable. And the humor here is just gross and juvenile, not the giddy, go-for-broke stye Waters exemplifies.
"Lust in the Dust" is a glorified wannabe that does pretty much everything wrong. It's a casting nightmare, every single joke falls flat and the film runs at a snail's pace. For comedy westerns like this dud, Mel Brooks set the bar impossibly high a decade ago.
December 11, 2011
the old west has given us many legends of heroism...many tales of courage and valor.
March 18, 2011
good laughs thru out...a bit campy tho but hey worth the watch
January 19, 2011
This might be my new favorite movie!! "You could eat off this floor. And YOU probably will."
½ January 18, 2011
The absolute, measure everything against it, worst movie I have ever watched.
November 17, 2010
it was ok but i would not rave about it/ a bit out dated now