Lymelife - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lymelife Reviews

May 2, 2016
Lacks emotional depth? Somebody needs to stop watching movies while they're doing all sorts of other stuff, because this movie is full of emotional depth. Or maybe somebody is used to watching Hollywood fake emotions that are so far removed from reality that they can't spot realistic emotions.

Whatever the case with no-nothing reviewers, this is an excellent movie that presents a unique storyline, characters you can actually care about, and a wonderful look and feel, complete with glorious '70s wardrobe, hair, cars, and style.
½ May 1, 2016
Another quirky coming-of-age x dysfunctional families story. Partially amusing.
November 2, 2015
Good performances, a bit strange, ultimately forgettable.
December 26, 2013
An oddball comedy, focused around a dysfunctional family. It's definitely of the dysfunctional drama, but isn't quite the same calibre of Ice Storm (1997), but the performances are good and story is interesting. It's quirky and funny, well worth the watch with some big name characters (including Alec Baldwin) who give subtle and interesting performances.
Market Man
December 11, 2013
Just a typical coming of age indie flick. It's got some great acting but the film lacks focus; it jumps around between too many conflicts without really having a story. There's also has an abrupt ending making it unsatisfying. With that said, I was never bored when watching the film probably due to the strong characterization. Nothing groundbreaking, worth watching, but it follows the same formula as most indie movies.
November 7, 2013
Kind of liked it at first, but it didn't go anywhere. The relationship between the two teens absolutely doesn't work. Rory Culkin never shows any personality and Emma Roberts eventual interest in him is not believable. He is totally passive and she totally bosses him around. The two wives go in and out of having New Yawk accents. Of the two, Jill Hennessy is the more believable. Timothy Hutton overdoes the hurt husband wandering around in a stupor. Alec Baldwin does well with an unchallenging role. I was interested at first and in the middle, but the story just trails off into an unexplained ending.
June 23, 2013
Rory Culkin literally carries this melodrama on his back.
½ May 20, 2013
Serviceable acting but that's it.
½ March 21, 2013
I actually quite enjoyed this movie. Emma Roberts is a beautiful actress that sweetens up every movie.
February 6, 2013
A very forgettable movie, not bad performances but nothing spectacular.
½ August 28, 2012
When I first started to watch this film, I thought that it was going to be a dark comedy or a comedy-drama. Actually, though, it's not a comedy. Not at all. But this is still a very well-made movie. I admired the performances by Rory Culkin and Emma Roberts and Timothy Hutton. I also liked Rory's brother Kieran as Rory's older brother. When we first meet his character, we see him as a kind, loving son and brother. He appears to be charming. But when he finds out about his brother getting beaten up at school, he drives to the kid's house, drags him out on the front lawn, and beats him senseless. It's a nicely nuanced performance. There are also some good scenes where the characters get angry at each other and yell and scream (There's a well-staged argument between Alec Baldwin and Jill Hennesy that could be upsetting, but it's a well-acted scene.). This is a good film, but remember this: This is not a comedy. My rating: 3 stars out of 4 stars.
August 6, 2012
Quite good but fizzled out at the end.
July 27, 2012
Fantastic little gem of an indie flick. Solid all around. Sylistic. Quaint. Emotional. Highly recommended. Executive Producer is Martin Scorsese something I was delighted to discover during the end credits. Check this one out.
½ June 19, 2012
Rory was incredible!
½ June 12, 2012
Low-rent THE ICE STORM-style indie, with shades of THE SQUID AND THE WHALE. Ain't bad. Good performances.
hunterjt13
May 23, 2012
In a 1970s bourgeois neighborhood a naive teenager copes with his father philandering and his mercurial love interest.
I think Flixster Super Reviewer Pamela De Graff said it best: "We've seen Lymelife's somber imputation in other movies about suburban values and relationships, Lymelife's is not a pensively warm-hearted slice of life, nor merely a bleakly cynical condemnation of the American dream. It's a reasoned, dryly tongue-in-cheek indictment of yuppie hypocrisies and contradictions."
And I liked the acting -- particularly by Keiran Culkin, who has grown up into a smarmy smart ass.
Overall, I think writing more would be redundant as I found De Graff's review to be spot on and more intelligently written than I can attempt here.
May 23, 2012
The best parts of Snow Angels (empathetic, vivid) and unfortunately the worst parts of The Ice Storm (just the tiniest bit shrill or gaudy), as awkward as that might sound if you're familiar with either of those. (But The Ice Storm was stunning, so even its worst qualities aren't that bad...)

It's a complex whirlwind of grotesquery, tracing a young man's coming of age and his parents' separation, thick in the late-70s Long Island culture and in the horrific-as-shit explosions of infidelity, lost identity, and frustration. Everyone in the cast delivers exquisite performances, even in spite of a script that occasionally goes haywire.
May 20, 2012
Hit the spot in every way... family dysfunction, cathartic beatdowns... Not to mention the acting, who was casted, and the way everything transitioned was absolutely perfect to me.
½ April 29, 2012
the final moments are INTENSE
April 23, 2012
as much as i dislike emma roberts, this was a pretty great film. i like the realism and the photography aspect to it. and it was really refreshing to watch a recent film based in another decade :)