MacGruber - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

MacGruber Reviews

½ September 21, 2017
[i]MacGruber!! Making life saving inventions outta household materials![/i]

MacGruber MacGyver was originally a reoccurring character on the American TV show [i]Saturday Night Live[/i]. The character was created by SNL writer Jorma Taccone who also directed this movie. Actor Will Forte who portrayed the character of MacGruber (in both SNL and this movie) also wrote for the character alongside Taccone. If it isn't evident enough already, the character of MacGruber is of course based on, a parody of, the classic secret agent TV series [i]MacGyver[/i].

The idea behind MacGyver was an ex-special forces type bloke who worked for a fictional agency of the US government, and the fictional Phoenix Foundation. An expert in physics and physical sciences, he usually solves problems with his ingenuity and array of trusty everyday objects such as a penknife, duct tape, matches etc...So yes, essentially it was another version of the [i]A-Team[/i] but for adults. The idea behind MacGruber is of course to spoof this entire concept tenfold.

The plot: Some baddies led by the dastardly Dieter Von Cunth (Val Kilmer) take possession of a nuclear warhead with the intention of using it to blow up Washington D.C. Col Jim Faith (Powers Boothe) hunts down MacGruber in order to enlist his help in stopping this act of terrorism. At first MacGruber declines, but after a nightmare surrounding the death of his fiancée (killed by Von Cunth), he agrees. But MacGruber has one condition, that he can use his own hand picked team. Faith agrees and MacGruber assembles his boys...only to accidentally kill them; so he ends up going with Lt. Dixon Piper (Ryan Phillippe) and Vicki Gloria St. Elmo (Kristen Wiig).

The idea behind MacGruber isn't anything specifically new, we've all seen spoofs of action/secret agent movies, a lot of it comes down to Will Forte. Now I don't know a lot about Forte. I have seen the original MacGruber skits on SNL, but I didn't know of Forte before hand and I don't really know of anything he's done after. All I know is this guy really knew how to play this character, had him down to a tee. His arrogance, egotism, narcissism and juvenile behaviour; Forte handles this characters fragility with aplomb, he makes it look easy and fresh despite the fact its definitely not a fresh angle (I think we've all seen [i]Rambo[/i] spoofs before right? yup).

[i]'Well then, I'll just have to put together my own dream team...of killer stoppers'[/i]

I think the best example of the state of MacGruber's mind is when a passer-by hurls a rather tame insult at his car (a 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata). MacGruber responses with his own tirade of (much worse) insults and that seems to be that. Later on Dixon comes across MacGruber's personal notepad and flips through it only to discover every page is covered with insane doodles of anger. Top to bottom, smothered with rantings and scribbles of rage. Clearly MacGruber is unable to take being mocked (despite dishing it out himself). It builds up inside him until he unleashes it upon the offender whom he eventually stumbles across (with his car).

But watching MacGruber break down is a regular and hilarious occurrence in this movie. The man is essentially a selfish man-child and throws tantrums when things awry. When MacGruber is first introduced to Dixon he destroys him with insults. He sneers at Dixon despite Faith highly recommending him for his skills. Dixon wasn't good enough for MacGruber because he had his own team of commandos. That is until MacGruber accidentally blows his team up. After Faith shuts down the operation we then see the U-turn by MacGruber as he starts to literally beg on his knees, offering sexual favours to both Faith and Dixon for their help. Its both embarrassing and extremely funny watching MacGruber acting the tough guy, only for it to crumble and reveal his true inner self when it goes tits up. Again none of this is anything original, far from it, but its the way Forte does it.

Yes the humour throughout this movie is somewhat childish and daft. Its toilet humour, sophomoric by the bucket load, but at times the craziness is just laugh out loud funny. When MacGruber distracts some bad guys by stripping naked and sticking a piece of celery between his butt cheeks. When MacGruber dresses Vicki up as himself for the sting operation he somewhat cunningly devised and delivered (not), its ludicrous. Then in the next scene they dress Vicki as one of Cunth's henchmen and Dixon disguises himself as MacGruber to infiltrate a warehouse. All the while MacGruber watches and waits in safety, having expressed to both partners that everything [b]should[/b] work just fine. Also the fact that MacGruber refuses to use guns (preferring to rely on household materials just like the SNL sketches and original TV series) for most of the movie...until he realises guns are actually cool to use.

In comparison to the SNL skits I'd say the movie isn't quite as good simply because the incredibly short skits just worked better that way. Every skit was basically the same utilisng the same set, the same bomb to defuse, but with different characters helping MacGruber. Some sketches were self-contained micro stories, whilst some had a continuing storyline. But overall they were literally a few minutes long and were totally off the wall. Bite-sized nuggets of throwaway comedy. Having to extend this into a full length movie was always gonna present problems.

Did they overcome these problems? Well sort of, whilst the movie is indeed enjoyable, its only really enjoyable in chunks. Naturally these chunks tend to be when Forte is front and centre doing his thing. The other characters are fine but not really that interesting. Its cool to see Kristen Wiig return from the skits but maybe they should of used some of the other characters too, like Darrel (Charles Barkley) or Kyle (Josh Brolin). Watching MacGruber struggling with political correctness and his clumsy racism towards Darrel (a Nordberg type character) is priceless; they really should have included more of that in the movie. I can see why the movie has become something of a cult, and I can also see why the movie bombed at the box office. For people not in the know this movie will have looked like regurgitated trash, which I fully understand. But that's a shame because this movie and its main protagonist are far wittier than most might expect.
August 19, 2017
4/5. One of the most underrated comedies ever made. Hilariously funny.
August 6, 2017
update: just tried watching it again on the CMT channel, still sucked ass!!!
½ July 31, 2017
Ok action comedy spoof movie starring will forte , Kristen wigg, and wwe superstars. That's the only reason I like this movie is because their are wwe superstars in this movie. I liked the idea of a spoof of macgyver but the execution that this movie has is bland or the emoji meh like the emoji movie that just came out. Bland boring movie that I would never see ever again but if I have to I would see it.
July 6, 2017
Extremely stupid but is much funnier than it has any right to be. If you like absurd and dumb humor this is one of the better ones out there because there are some actual attempts at humor here, and will forte is hilarious.
July 5, 2017
A ton of insane jokes. They totally commit. So funny.
June 19, 2017
This movie is a classic. So many lines are quotable and it goes down easy, with many moments making you laugh until you cry. Lets pound some cunth
March 4, 2017
MacGruber is a fine spoof movie but nothing special. Repeated gags get old, but enough cheesy jokes to make it work.
½ December 20, 2016
this is without a doubt one of the best parodies ever made, if you gave it a bad rating you either just don't get it or you can't see the humor, this probably in my top 5 favorite comedies of all time, it's hilarious and i haven't met anyone with a good sense of humor that didn't thoroughly enjoy it.
November 30, 2016
Hilarious movie. Very under rated.
November 15, 2016
MacGruber has its moments but it tries way to hard to be funny and tries to take a 10 minute sketch and make it into a full length film.
½ October 31, 2016
Terrible 'comedy'. I did not laugh at all.
½ August 31, 2016
MacGruber is the hysterical big-screen adaptation of the SNL character, played brilliantly by funny-man, Will Forte which is a play on the super-spy, MacGyver with the difference being that MacGruber is an idiot and his inventions make no sense! The story follows MacGruber getting a team together to battle his arch nemesis, Dieter Von Cunth...(the joke writes itself), played perfectly by Val Kilmer who's clearly having a blast being a part of the madness. The film also stars Kristen Wiig and Ryan Phillippe as MacGruber's back-up team after something tragic, but hilarious, happens to the last team, and they bring a great dynamic to the proceedings. This is the directorial debut of SNL alum and Lonely Island member, Jorma Taccone, who also co-wrote the film, and his sense of comic timing and no-holds-barred, R-rated approach help elevate the material drastically. MacGruber is just plain FUNNY and for every joke that doesn't land, there's 3 or 4 more sight gags that really do, even if they are extremely immature. This is one of the best SNL-adapted films to date, in the same company as Wayne's World, A Night at the Roxbury, and The Blues Brothers and if you don't laugh at the cemetery sex scene...we can't be friends.
July 25, 2016
As offensive and crude as MacGruber is, it's a hilarious and entertaining action comedy that benefits from Will Forte's solidly inept and goofy performance.
½ July 19, 2016
I saw this at a party, which is probably the only way this was enjoyable.
July 15, 2016
Hilarious, raunchy and one of the better SNL movies
½ July 2, 2016
The s****est movie I will ever see. And that is saying something considering I've seen human centipede
April 7, 2016
Don't be fooled. This movie sucks more than you think it does.
March 20, 2016
Surprisingly funny film. What is also a surprise is that Will Forte did not forge a career as a pretty funny film actor after this, at least I've not seen him in any other main comedy roles.