Mac & Devin Go To High School - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mac & Devin Go To High School Reviews

February 26, 2014
This movie is easily one of the most pointless, mind-numbing and profit-hungry endeavors in the history of filmmaking. Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa stars in this film directed by Dylan C. Brown which I had heard absolutely nothing about until i watched it with a group of friends. It turned out to have a very thin and boring plot and to be filled with promotions and marketing for a Snoop and Wiz album. The story is about two high-school students, one honor student, Devin, played by Wiz Khalifa and one rotten apple, Mac, played by Snoop Dogg, who becomes unlikely friends and the honor student comes to the realization that he can learn more from the rotten apple than he thought.

There are so many problems with this film that it's hard to even know where to start. The fact that it's only 75 minutes long, but cuts away from the story on several occasions for music sequences or scenes where a talking blunt preaches facts and statistics about cannabis, should tell you the small amount of actual story or character development the film contains. The few moments of story and character development that the film have are all so predictable to anyone who have seen a few high school films that watching this becomes redundant. Taking an obvious pro-cannabis stance, but still depicting the heaviest smoker as an unmotivated slacker who's been in high-school for 15 years, is a very strange choice and makes me wonder if the creators ever gave this any thought or if they were just trying to find a convenient excuse for Snoop Dogg looking older than a High-school kid.

The acting from the majority of the cast is poor at best and sometimes even so horrible that it borders on groundbreaking. The only performance that I would categorize as decent is Snoop Dogg's, which isn't strange considering that he just uses the same speech patterns and mannerisms that he's been using in the music industry for years, whether that is an act and gimmick or Snoop Dogg's real personality I'm not sure. I don't think that "Mac and Devin Goes to High School" even qualifies as half a movie and the only reason to watch it would be to examine an exercise in complete cinematic failure. It's also the first movie that I've given 0% to so far.
½ February 22, 2014
One of the worst pieces of trash netflix has to offer.
February 18, 2014
best fucking movie to get high 2
January 17, 2014
a brilliant film but must be watched high to have the best effect
½ December 25, 2013
This movie sucks donkey balls.
½ October 29, 2013
It could have at least been funny...
October 20, 2013
One of the greatest achievements in filmmaking from our generation.
October 13, 2013
Im a avid cannabis smoker, a rap listener who listens to Snoop's and Wiz's music and I also love to watch movies. If added all these elements together you would figure I would LOVE this movie. But this movie was terrible, Wiz was clearly a novice when it comes to acting; he over did his character in my view. The plot was awful I know it was suppose to make as little sense possible, but they could've tried harder. I didnt even find the jokes that funny, it had its moments but hit or miss; mostly miss. Watched it twice(Sober & the influence) still didnt do nothing for me.
½ September 2, 2013
Horrible attempt at trying to be like how high
½ August 1, 2013
The worst movie ever
June 24, 2013
great movie for smoking weed
June 8, 2013
If you don't smoke the good this movie won't be good. It's targeted towards stoners. Follow the on screen instructions and you're golden for a very funny movie with the talent of Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa.
Plus songs.
½ June 5, 2013
movie sucks. not funny and really lame
June 2, 2013
its funny stuff to watch
½ May 31, 2013
it was a funny movie but really short
May 25, 2013
a great movie i really liked it the best movie ever made
May 12, 2013
I hope its a good movie
May 10, 2013
Mac and Devin is the most well thought out and funniest movie i have personally seen.
This movie had the perfect mix of drama and comedy while keeping the theme of just living your life. this movie has a ton of pulse pounding moments and pop culture references to keep the movie interesting. another noteworthy fact if the perfect blend of animation and reality, some would say better then who framed roger rabbit. this is a must see movie that everyone and their mothers need to see.
May 10, 2013
This movie understands the one thing most movies this day and age, seem to forget about, and that is a good, well rounded, story. The story revolves around two loveable scamps who get into mischief one day, when principal Skinfloot gets them in trouble. Then they get high, for almost an hour and a half, while a talking joint guides us through the movie.
April 30, 2013