Macabre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Macabre Reviews

January 24, 2016
Buried alive in a coffin...not my little lamb...

A doctor has had some very bad luck. A serial killer kidnapped his wife and killed her, then two of his daughters after his wife suffer the same fate, and now his youngest daughter has been kidnapped and buried alive. He and the town will need to work together quickly to uncover his daughter and the man responsible.

"I remember the night your wife died better than you."

William Castle, director of House on Haunted Hill, The Tingler, 13 Ghosts, Straight-Jacket, Homicidal, The Old Dark House, Serpent on the Nile, and The Iron Glove, delivers Macabre. The storyline for this picture is interesting and worth following. The writing is uneven and some of the acting was cheesy. The cast includes William Prince, Jim Backus, Jacqueline Scott, and Ellen Corby.

"His two daughters are dead now..."

I came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) this past Halloween season. I thought this was well done and interesting. This wasn't perfect or an all time classic, but it has a nice classic horror feel for fans of the genre.

"Why should I get married? All men seem the same in the dark."

Grade: C+
July 7, 2013
At the beginning of this old horror movie from the 50s an ominous voice warns us to look after the other viewers as the things we are about to see are so frightening that some may fall ill. Luckily for me I was watching it alone so I didn't have to worry about anyone else and nothing in the movie could qualify as remotely scary. Macabre offers nothing in the way of scare or thrills and other than a decent story the direction and lack of pace kill of anything of interest.
½ October 27, 2012
The first of William Castle's "gimmick" films. Although Castle offered theater goers life insurance against "death by fright", the film is unsurprisingly more camp than fright. It's passable enough of entertainment and you do get to see Jim Backus in an uncharacteristic role as a tough police detective.
½ October 24, 2012
castle's first 'gimmick movie'
April 3, 2012
I will always remember the "Fright break" in this movie where you could go to the box office to get your $ back if you were too scared to watch the climax. To this day I remember one of the biggest scares in my movie life at the end of Macabre. Well done and fun. Ken K
½ January 29, 2012
the gimmick was the best about the movie.
2,5/5
September 18, 2011
This movie had audiences believe that it had promised $1000 in insurance in case anyone died of fear during the screening. Awesome!
½ January 9, 2011
Master Showman William Castle cranks out another enjoyable horror cheapie in which a doctor rushes to find his kidnapped daughter who has supposedly been buried alive in a local cemetery. Lots of jump scares and creepy 50s gore shock close-ups, the final reveal is much in the same spirit of House on Haunted Hill. Castle told patrons that he would pay out 1000 dollars of life insurance for any individual who died of fright. Jolly good. VF.
November 19, 2010
This cheap little treasure isn't the least bit scary, but it does have some excellent bad movie moments. William Castle's addition to the surprisingly lively (wink wink) buried-alive sub genre.
July 7, 2010
The mo brothers come up with a bloody but ultimately lacklustre effort. Not the best.
½ May 19, 2010
WOW... the first indonesian slash thriller that able to quench your bloodthrist straightaway.. thank you mo brothers !! storyline? who needs storyline for a freakin slash thriller movie..
May 10, 2010
In 'Takut: Faces of Fear' we were introduced to a creepy, yet somehow believable Dara. But...what is this retro fashioned, oldie tunes loving, zombieish monotonic-speaking Dara? Is it suppose to be scary?...
½ April 11, 2010
Too long, too slow ... boring !
January 30, 2010
Macabre (alias Rumah Dara in Indonesia) is the best thriller movie in Indonesia! nice story, shocking, and there are some comedy scene makes this movie must watch! Great!
January 25, 2010
AWESOMMMME!!!!! and its kinda have a psychological aftermath effect on me... gyahahhahaha
January 23, 2010
film Indonesia terlihat keren sekali. cuma, saya lebih suka Dara drpd RumahDara.
½ January 17, 2010
i've watched this movie with my 2 buddies yesterday at cinema, and we are laughing histerically throughout the movie, not because its comedy, but it was because of the poor acting and poor plot.

on the plus side, it was a great relieve to see a new genre in an Indonesian horror, we can do a slasher movie!

props to Mo brothers for trying though...
September 3, 2009
Ladyboys with chainsaws! :D (Mo Brothers film from 2009, not Bill Castles!)