MacArthur - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

MacArthur Reviews

September 3, 2016
A good Biopic
It portrayed well the character of the General
May 28, 2015
Sadly, the reviewers are correct who say the script is dead and Peck's performance is wooden. He's just too nice to play this megalomaniac. Douglas MacArthur deserves complexity, edginess, and borderline insanity in his portrayal, the kind George C. Scott gave to Patton. This movie is hagiography, even when it purports to show the less saintly side of MacArthur. It needs to show how his genius and divine sense of himself were as much his downfall as his success--i.e. his hubris.
April 19, 2015
Many do not find MacArthur a good movie but I am deeply impressed by Gregory Peck. A brilliant portrayal of General MacArthur.
½ March 30, 2014
While not as compelling as fellow war hero biopic Patton, MacArthur is more than serviceable. After all, what movie with Gregory Peck isn't?
½ December 13, 2013
Not as good as Patton, Mac.
TheDudeLebowski65
September 6, 2013
Douglas MacArthur was one of the most famous Generals in the U.S Military. He was one of 5 generals to attain the rank of 5 star general. His life was a series of accomplishments almost attaining legendary status. This is a fine biopic of the late General, one that is effectively directed and acted. Gregory Peck delivers one of his strongest performances since his role of Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird. The film is directed by director Joseph Sargent who has previously helmed The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. This is a terrific war film that boasts a great cast, a well written script, effective dramatic elements and a plot that will certainly appeal to war film fans who desire to know the story of Douglas MacArthur. Peck commands the screen with such ferocious intensity that he is perfect for the part. I think it's hard to imagine someone else in the role; he truly has made it his own. I really enjoyed the film, but I felt that it was second only to Patton, which is the definitive war biopic of a U.S General. This would be second. The acting and plot just takes a hold of you, and you are entertained from the first frame onwards. There are a few aspects missing, but it's only natural that there couldn't be a longer film, because MacArthur's career was long and illustrious. For that this film is, it's an accomplished war biopic about complicated man, who was just as grand as he was flawed. To this day, MacArthur is a figure that is revered and criticized. The film shows in great part why he was like. He was a man that disobeyed orders from the very top, and had his own agenda on how to win a war. This is a fine film worth seeing if you want one of best military biopics after Patton of course.
½ June 21, 2013
Boring, shot like a TV movie, and miscast. Using the same team that made the masterpiece Patton without great writing, Coppola, great directing, Franklin Schaffner, great DPing, Fred Koenekamp, this film does not interrogate the subject so much as it drags us along. Gregory Peck is not a great actor, and his MacArthur is one note, as all his performances are. Joseph Sargent made few good films, and only one great, The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3. A blech film than died quicker than the army left on Bataan to rot.
April 6, 2013
Not a bad biopic but it pales in comparison to Patton a similar film from the same era. Peck gives a pretty good performance and has sufficient gravitas. Macarthur's time in Australia carries interest though we are told that the Australian troops were undisciplined, untrained and inexperienced. This makes the Americans appear more heroic. In fact Australian troops had had extensive experience in Europe before the war in the Pacific began, so if anything the reverse was true. But I guess that's how the Hollwoodisation of history happens.
November 19, 2012
A nice movie that presents itself greatly to the man. Without a doubt this movie wanted to be like the more successful Patton. But Patton was treated a little more truthfully with his ego being a deciding factor into his mistakes. Here MacArthur was treated too sympathetic with little regard to his ego, which was equally if not much larger than Patton's. A wonderful film, great acting from Gregory Peck.
½ September 29, 2012
As good as the film is, its stellar moments showed it had the potential to be much more than it was. The actor playing Truman was fantastic. Gregory Peck as MacArthur shone when the script allowed him to, but the development of the character seemed somewhat inconsistent, at least for one less familiar with MacArthur as a personal figure.
August 27, 2012
Less engrossing than Patton, but nonetheless it is a good film. A good performance by Peck as the egotistical MacArthur.
June 26, 2012
good bio-pic but a little long in the tooth
½ May 26, 2012
Lots of insight into Douglas MacArthur the strategist, the tactician and the military commander - very little about Douglas MacArthur the man. I didn't learn anything about the General that I couldn't have gleaned from old newspaper clippings and newsreel footage.
April 5, 2012
A good telling of the life of one of America's most famous and infuriating generals.
January 21, 2012
Peck is dignified in this interesting biopic of the controversial figure of Douglas Macarthur.
January 15, 2012
Stodgy and lacklustre biopic of the Wartime hero with Gregory Peck as the eponymous lead. Peck seems uncomfortable in the role and his understated acting style just doesn't suit. He even looks fidgety in the trademark aviator sunglasses. The script doesn't sparkle or challenge and the action sequences, many intercut with vintage footage of battles and their aftermath, feel leaden and lack emotion. The story of this man should be perfect for a movie with big characters, political intrigue and hugely significant world events playing out across the screen but, instead, we get over two hours of exposition and badly directed flannel that as a history lesson completely fails to inform or engage.
December 30, 2011
A rather episodic, but none-the-less heroic bio-pic. Gregory Peck gives a splendid and tastefully unbiased performance as Douglas MacArthur, while the other two notable performances, the portrayals presidents Roosevelt and Truman, act as ironic dramatic foils. A fine, and smartly patriotic film.
July 11, 2011
alot better than I was expecting...very sympathetic (to Macartur) retelling...Peck is very believable....certainly educational
June 19, 2011
Gregory Peck is simply outstanding and I'm glad that this picture was made because after Patton and Chaplin, I was starting to lose all faith in Bio Pics. What those films strongly lacked that this film strongly conveys, is personal stuff. I did not feel so far away from MacArthur like I felt very far away from Chaplin, Patton, and John Merrick in The Elephant man, I felt like I was this man's friend, I cared about him, and I wanted him to be happy in the end. Peck makes the film superb, it should be shown in every history class.
flixsterman