Macbeth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Macbeth Reviews

December 5, 2017
What a creepy and haunting way to start off a movie. I love it! Very dark, very bleak, very bloody.

Some of the shots in this movie are outright gorgeous with the mountains marking the background and the sky as beautiful as could be.

This movie brings being haunted by your past ghosts to a whole new meaning. What shocking and terrible sight to see the man you've just slain standing right in front of you. Terrifying and shocking imagery displayed in this very movie. Ideas and images that cause nightmares.

That part with the mirrors. Holy crap! Does thine eyes deceive me? That was wonderfully done. It felt like a damn never ending nightmare. Polanski definitely didn't hold back with the shock factor in this one. Showing children dead and all bloodied up, you get the sense that things were very brutal and merciless back then.

What a terrific cast of performers. One would think they were watching a live play right before their very eyes. The actress who played Lady Macbeth did a wonderfully terrifying job. Apart from being beautiful, she can be frightening. Like in the one scene where she is naked. Even being naked she still manages to paint a sense of horror.

It's pretty crazy to see how a man can go insane with power and lose it. Talk about a great fight! That final battle was mesmerizing to watch. The choreography was great.

What a marvelous adaptation of Shakespeare's Macbeth. Truly a haunting and grueling journey for Macbeth that ended swiftly. Nevertheless, I will be revisiting this movie.
September 28, 2017
Roman Polanski takes the classic bloody William Shakespeare tragedy and gives it the edge it needs to be wonderful movie. We get some great performances and a dark tone that befalls the movie, and we see the tortured perspectives brought to life. It's compels the same reaction a live performance of this would, and makes most of the dreary atmosphere and melodrama. It is an undeniably wonderful piece of work among all of Shakespearean adaptations and Polanski's catalog.
March 5, 2017
Yorgos Lanthimos rec
February 2, 2017
No me convenció está versión de Macbeth, hay partes interesantes pero muchas otras muy aburridas y lentas, donde los actores no me parecieron lo suficientemente convincentes
December 20, 2016
An incredible rendition of Shakespeare's classic, there are many ways to adapt Macbeth to the screen, but Roman Polanski takes an incredibly original, psychologically challenging approach and it results in a greatly entertaining, supremely intelligent, and masterfully crafted work of cinema.
November 24, 2016
Playboy Productions, a William Shakespeare play and Roman Polanski directing it! Come on! It's great! One of the 2 best versions of the play (the other being Orson Welles' version, which itself has two cuts of it) and a must-watch film. Part of The Criterion Collection and on Blu-ray in the US.
November 22, 2016
Polanski captures one of the most fascinating aspects of Shakespeare's play, its grittiness. There's none of the pomp or spectacle that Shakespeare's adaptations usually rely on. Instead, the film strips the play down to its stark and ruthless core, and succeeds because of it.
½ October 16, 2016
Bela e delirante adaptao feita por Roman Polanski.
September 30, 2016
This was a bit of a stretch, but not too bad. Certainly the bloodiest film I have ever seen. A graphic film adaptation of the Shakespeare tragedy.
August 16, 2016
Definitely surpassed my expectations.
½ July 8, 2016
Darkness, madness, violence, triumph of evil. Typical compelling Polanski in other words. 9/10
½ July 8, 2016
June 7, 2016
Not really my thingy.
May 31, 2016
For kids today I think it's important for them to read literature and more importantly I think the should be able to understand what there reading. I believe if it was in our language and their language it would be easier for us to understand it. I feel like more kids would love to read it if it was in easier learning to know what is happening because we focus more on how to pronounce the words than actually knowing what's happening what's going on within the play. If they come out with a newer version of the play like they did for Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet more students around my age would be interested in watching it and comparing it to the play. Students like to compare movies and books to their lives and seeing how relatable it is to their life. More students need to give the play a chance and they probably won't and continue to label it "boring" and maybe even "dumb" because they aren't sure what's happening in the play. It's easier for them to label it like that than to actually give it a chance. I hope in the future they come out with a newer version of Macbeth so more people want to read it and they will finally get to realize the true beauty of Macbeth. They will will finally come to realize what they've been missing out on.Until that happens I will have to rate Macbeth 3 out of 5 stars. Because it's hard to understand the play. In fact take Act 1 Scene 1 for example: When the hurlyburly'sdone;
I come, Graymalkin.
Paddock calls. Anon!
Most students wouldn't know what that even meant! But if it was in English saying Graymalkin and Paddock are the names of "familiars," spirits who are companions and servants to the witches. Graymalkin is a familiar who takes the shape of a cat; Paddock takes the shape of a toad.
"Anon" means "soon" or "right away." The witch is calling out to her familiar, saying, in effect, "I'm coming, I'll be right with you." It would be much more easier to comprehend.
½ April 27, 2016
"Fair is foul, and foul is fair". Blood running in streams down from the fortress of Scotland, the river is filled with hunger of thy self. Polanski touched a nerve in the brain of Shakespear, a vision of pureness.
February 27, 2016
A masterpiece! Maybe the best Shakespeare film ever made. It's better than Justin Kurzel's new version in almost every way. Jon Finch and F. Annis in their best roles ever and Polanski at the peak of his powers. Why is it so good ? Because it's so well told and true to Shakespeare without following the play too closely. Some things are even better than in the play. This is the gold standard for every new version.
October 16, 2015
I just remembered that I watched this movie very briefly in high school. It looks absolutely beautiful. Perhaps the best cinematic version of Macbeth ever made.
½ September 5, 2015
one of the best made films of its genre....great costume and set design...
July 27, 2015
My personal favorite of all Shakespeare's plays -- Polanski conjures up a witches' brew of Olivier-like internal monologues, unflinchingly honest gore and a landscape as barren as the morality of its protagonist. Superb.