Macbeth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Macbeth Reviews

February 2, 2017
No me convenció está versión de Macbeth, hay partes interesantes pero muchas otras muy aburridas y lentas, donde los actores no me parecieron lo suficientemente convincentes
December 20, 2016
An incredible rendition of Shakespeare's classic, there are many ways to adapt Macbeth to the screen, but Roman Polanski takes an incredibly original, psychologically challenging approach and it results in a greatly entertaining, supremely intelligent, and masterfully crafted work of cinema.
November 24, 2016
Playboy Productions, a William Shakespeare play and Roman Polanski directing it! Come on! It's great! One of the 2 best versions of the play (the other being Orson Welles' version, which itself has two cuts of it) and a must-watch film. Part of The Criterion Collection and on Blu-ray in the US.
November 22, 2016
Polanski captures one of the most fascinating aspects of Shakespeare's play, its grittiness. There's none of the pomp or spectacle that Shakespeare's adaptations usually rely on. Instead, the film strips the play down to its stark and ruthless core, and succeeds because of it.
½ October 16, 2016
Bela e delirante adaptao feita por Roman Polanski.
September 30, 2016
This was a bit of a stretch, but not too bad. Certainly the bloodiest film I have ever seen. A graphic film adaptation of the Shakespeare tragedy.
August 16, 2016
Definitely surpassed my expectations.
½ July 8, 2016
Darkness, madness, violence, triumph of evil. Typical compelling Polanski in other words. 9/10
½ July 8, 2016
June 7, 2016
Not really my thingy.
May 31, 2016
For kids today I think it's important for them to read literature and more importantly I think the should be able to understand what there reading. I believe if it was in our language and their language it would be easier for us to understand it. I feel like more kids would love to read it if it was in easier learning to know what is happening because we focus more on how to pronounce the words than actually knowing what's happening what's going on within the play. If they come out with a newer version of the play like they did for Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet more students around my age would be interested in watching it and comparing it to the play. Students like to compare movies and books to their lives and seeing how relatable it is to their life. More students need to give the play a chance and they probably won't and continue to label it "boring" and maybe even "dumb" because they aren't sure what's happening in the play. It's easier for them to label it like that than to actually give it a chance. I hope in the future they come out with a newer version of Macbeth so more people want to read it and they will finally get to realize the true beauty of Macbeth. They will will finally come to realize what they've been missing out on.Until that happens I will have to rate Macbeth 3 out of 5 stars. Because it's hard to understand the play. In fact take Act 1 Scene 1 for example: When the hurlyburly'sdone;
I come, Graymalkin.
Paddock calls. Anon!
Most students wouldn't know what that even meant! But if it was in English saying Graymalkin and Paddock are the names of "familiars," spirits who are companions and servants to the witches. Graymalkin is a familiar who takes the shape of a cat; Paddock takes the shape of a toad.
"Anon" means "soon" or "right away." The witch is calling out to her familiar, saying, in effect, "I'm coming, I'll be right with you." It would be much more easier to comprehend.
½ April 27, 2016
"Fair is foul, and foul is fair". Blood running in streams down from the fortress of Scotland, the river is filled with hunger of thy self. Polanski touched a nerve in the brain of Shakespear, a vision of pureness.
February 27, 2016
A masterpiece! Maybe the best Shakespeare film ever made. It's better than Justin Kurzel's new version in almost every way. Jon Finch and F. Annis in their best roles ever and Polanski at the peak of his powers. Why is it so good ? Because it's so well told and true to Shakespeare without following the play too closely. Some things are even better than in the play. This is the gold standard for every new version.
October 16, 2015
I just remembered that I watched this movie very briefly in high school. It looks absolutely beautiful. Perhaps the best cinematic version of Macbeth ever made.
½ September 5, 2015
one of the best made films of its genre....great costume and set design...
July 27, 2015
My personal favorite of all Shakespeare's plays -- Polanski conjures up a witches' brew of Olivier-like internal monologues, unflinchingly honest gore and a landscape as barren as the morality of its protagonist. Superb.
July 24, 2015
Produzido em grande escala, esse filme - quase que com o texto integral de Shakespeare - de Polanski se beneficia tambm pelo bom elenco.
May 16, 2015
1971 is a year director Roman Polanski will never forget. For it is that year, in which he made this definitive version of William Shakespeare's Macbeth. 1971 is also the year in which the infamous murderer and cult leader Charles Manson got a life sentence in a California prison for the grisly murders of Polanski's pregnant wife Sharon Tate and several family friends in 1969. It is hard not to imagine that this intense personal tragedy did not influence Polanski's craft. The timing of the film speaks unspoken volumes. The film is brutal, harsh and unrelenting. According to Shakespeare, the characters are full of sound and fury, but signify nothing and that is exactly how Polanski films Macbeth. Polanski's adaptation of Macbeth is most likely the closest to The Bard's original intention of the play. A tale of lust and revenge where prophecies and lies mix with shallowness and false bravado. Hallucinations and ghosts are commonplace, while honor and courage are in short supply. This is the medieval world of Macbeth, Macduff, Duncan, Malcolm, Banquo, the three witches, and Lady Macbeth. Daggers are in the character's minds, meanwhile the audience's eyes feast upon stunning cinematography, their ears fill with Shakespeare's dialogue, and feelings of relief come over the viewer that such a world existed only in the past. In addition, a feeling of despair and sorrow arises once the viewer makes the connection that such brutality also touched the life of the director. Any student of Shakespeare, Roman Polanski follower, or film buff in general should take time out to view this film.
½ April 26, 2015
71%
Macbeth is one of the least potent tragedies of Shakespeare and it so happens to one of his overrated works as well. There is no real tragedy as the drama has a continuous even downpour from the very beginning and it's hard to feel sympathy to the titular character. Macbeth lacks the real emotions that made Julius Caesar and Shakespeare's greatest tragedy Hamlet what they are.

Polanski's Macbeth is uneven, but it stays true to the source material. It's performances are mostly unsatisfactory and the ending evokes more laughter than tears or sorrow. However, Polanski is able in creating a rich atmosphere, mood and feel of the dark time.