Machete Maidens Unleashed! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Machete Maidens Unleashed! Reviews

½ September 8, 2015
Not as good as 'Not Quite Hollywood' but still a fun and interesting highlight reel of some crazy looking stuff.
½ July 26, 2015
A great and fast paced documentary about exploitation films in the Philippines from Mark Hartley, the man behind Not Quite Hollywood and Electric Boogaloo. 90% of films covered is Roger Corman stuff and the doc can double as New World Pictures tribute. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
October 6, 2014
Very well done but it's essentially just a mini Roger Corman doc and most of the movies are beyond obscure now. But then, WENG WENG!
March 8, 2014
From the same writer/director of "Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation!" comes a new documentary about the many exploitation films made on the cheap in Marcos' Philippines in the 70s and 80s. While it's a fairly thorough documentary on the subject, what it lacks compared to "Not Quite Hollywood" is that many of the Australian exploitation filmmakers in that documentary went on to much greater things, which gave this exploration and celebration of Ozploitation more credible and significant. The biker, women-in-prison, midget super spy films made in the Philippines were quirky and unique, but they were simply exploitation, made my filmmakers who for the most part, never rose above exploitation. "Not Quite Hollywood" played out like an origin tale for Peter Wier, George Miller and other, which this film was lacking. I did enjoy when the documentary began to explore the Filipino filmmakers, which was new to me, but the American produced films were not a lot more than a fun celebration of his exploitation sub genre. And related to this, when the cover the production of "Apocalypse Now" it seems kind of out of place when the rest of the film is covering films like "The Losers" or "The Big Doll House" Still, there are many fun interviews with the likes of Roger Corman, Steve Carver, Joe Dante, John Landis, Jon Davidson, Jack Hill, Brian Trenchard-Smith, Joe Viola, Sid Haig, Christopher Mitchum, Dick Miller, Pam Grier and R. Lee Ermey, and the film has a breezy pace that serves it well. If you've seen and enjoyed the films covered here, you'll probably enjoy this doc. I think I'm looking forward to director Mark Hartley's next film, which is focusing on exploitation films by Cannon.
November 18, 2013
Soft bodies for hard cash
October 26, 2013
Very informative and entertaining
October 4, 2013
Enjoyable stories about the exploitation films made in the Philippines.
August 14, 2013
Insights and reminiscences of cheap movies made for a specific clientele - with or without a movie rating. This documentary is a B-movie heaven explaining how they were often filmed (& shot up) in the Philippines. These were predecessor flicks for Predator, Jaws, Rambo, Terminator, Indiana Jones, Foxy Brown, Star Wars, & Buffy tVS; among others, these drive-in and direct-to-video films had action, strong (& often topless) women, and always great titles.
July 30, 2013
Interesantisimo documental, iimprescindible para los amantes del cine clase-b, e independiente porque no,Excelente.
July 9, 2013
It's ultimately the same story as any Roger Corman bio, but it's a fun highlight reel. good doc
½ May 15, 2013
Um documentário esclarecedor e divertido sobre os tempos em que os filmes Grindhouse se realizavam nas Filipinas, um país em plena lei marcial mas de mão-de-obra barata onde valia quase tudo num filme!
½ March 27, 2013
Pretty standard movie documentary but if you love exploitation movies, there's a lot of good stuff here.
½ January 19, 2013
I remember first reading about this documentary way back when and, consequently, I was really looking forward to it. I finally got the chance to see it and Machete Maidens Unleashed! is just as much fun as I had hoped it would be. Talking to a variety of Corman regulars, including Roger Corman himself, Joe Dante, Pam Grier, Sid Haig, Jack Hill, Allan Arkush, and also some great interviews with people like John Landis, the documentary's focus is on Roger Corman's productions produced in the Philippines throughout the 1970's. The documentary is pretty fast and furious, and doesn't stand still for a minute. As a consquence, it feels a bit too short. I think it's because I was enjoying it so much that I wanted more of it. It's a minor complaint, but it definitely seemed to go by too quickly and left me wanting more. If you're interested in movies like The Big Doll House, TNT Jackson or Humanoids from the Deep, then you're bound to love this it. It's pretty gritty, very honest and, above all, very entertaining. Highly recommended for exploitation fans.
November 17, 2012
There is a ton of history about filming in the Philipinnes that I've never heard before.
August 30, 2012
This is a movies lovers documentary. It's a real interesting look into B films of the 70's that were predominately filmed in the Philippeans. I know that sounds dreadfully specific. But these were the film makers that pushed the envelope for what makes a bad movie. Thanks to them action, comedy, and nudity can all go into one film and be accepted by the masses. Unless your interested in the origin of B film I'd skip it. But I would then call you a Criterion Creationist. Good movies don't just appear they evolve from bad ones.
July 26, 2012
It's everything you could hope for. If you're a fan of the genre, you've probably already seen it. If you haven't, you should.
½ June 8, 2012
Not as good as 'Corman's World' or 'Not Quite Hollywood', 2 docs it heavily resembles.
½ May 9, 2012
Amazingly fun film looking at the low budget Exploitation cinema that proliferated when production companies headed to the Philippines. Features a lot of fun clips and interviews with the people who survived the experience, and is a helluva lot of fun for anyone looking to increase the list of film that they need to track down.

Highly recommended.
DrStrangeblog
April 14, 2012
Really fun & informative documentary detailing a branch of the profitable 1970s exploitation market and the pros and cons of filming in the Philippines. These are the locations that spawned the popular women in prison (WIP) genre including Big Doll House, Women in Cages and Big Bird Cage and talks with the actors, directors, and crew about their experiences. John Landis offers the most hilariously glib observations and we also hear from Sid Haig, Joe Dante, and the low-budget producer extraordinaire himself Roger Corman. The films were profitable in part because they were so cheap, cutting corners by having dangerous stunts performed by untrained actors, primitive living and working conditions, and borrowing the Filipino army for big action scenes!

Favorite title: Jeanie Bell starred as the black ass-kicking heroine in TNT Jackson, so following its success what do you call a film starring a white ass-kicking heroine? Firecracker!
April 12, 2012