The Machinist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Machinist Reviews

March 11, 2016
The Machinist is intricate, intense and wound tight in the best way. Anderson's control over his tone, atmosphere and cinematography is impressive and when combined with a truly incredible performance by Christian Bale, this film ranks among the best psychological thrillers. I suspect the Academy would like to have Best Actor nominations back on this one, where the awful Jamie Foxx as well as Don Cheadle, Johnny Depp and Clint Eastwood were each nominated for forgettable performances that required minimal commitment compared to Bale's incredible weight loss and bodily punishment.
March 11, 2016
Dark and reminded me of the classic Twilight Zone episodes mixed in with Hitchcock. And how much weight did Bale lose for this role. Jesus.
½ January 25, 2016
Christian Bale.. A dangerous method actor gives us a sleepless thriller.. The movie in general wasn't five out of five but great.. Worth watching!
January 18, 2016
poetic and powerful
Bale is a genius
January 18, 2016
Exceedingly miserable and disturbing. I loved it.
December 27, 2015
The way the film looks alone, almost a grim feeling, is worth the watch. Not only is the story pretty intriguing from beginning to end, but the twists and shock value were better than some films in that genre because it never felt the need to go to the extreme, i.e. A Serbian Film. Bale gives perhaps the best performance in his career, and leaves you pretty disturbed at times. I loved this movie.
½ December 27, 2015
This movie is a slow burn, but as the story unravels, holy cow! It's just too hard to describe this, yet at the end, it all makes perfect sense! And it is totally worth the wait! It was, however, for me, really hard to see Christian Bale's body. Grossly so. But I must say, he did one heck of an acting job, and obviously went the full nine to play this role! I'd like to write more, but my mind feels totally blown right now.
½ December 20, 2015
The Machinist, directed by Brad Anderson (Session 9) is the story of an industrial worker who hasn't slept in a year and begins to doubt his own sanity.
Christian Bale's transformation is impressive as he lost 63 pounds for this film and literally became skin and bones. Up to that film Bale's screen persona was largely defined by athleticism and physicality. In the machinist he becomes a shadow of insomnia. The film is an alternative psychological thriller of great artistic value. It's end may be considered predictable but still it's cleverly given. Despite the efforts of Brad Anderson to impress through his direction, the film ends up being an absolute one man show by Christian Bale.
December 13, 2015
The Machinist would not succeed if it wasn't for Christian Bale, who keeps the story intriguing, and while the revelation at the end was very satisfying, a good portion of the movie is pretty dry.
Steve Grady
December 8, 2015
"The Machinist" is a superb film drama film of 2004. "The Machinist" has superb acting there is no overselling performances or weak every actor/actress in this film is great, this film especially has great acting from "Christian Bale" and "John Sharian". The plot "The Machinist" is amazing, it's so exciting through out the movie, another thing that makes this movie better is it be so unpredictable. The music in "The Machinist" is great, it makes the intense scenes so amazing. The drama in "The Machinist" is handled well the movie could've been handled very badly and been so many plot holes, but director "Brad Anderson" and writer "Scott Kosar" made the movie right. One of my favourite things about this film is that it's filmed so incredibly, the scenes are filmed perfect, there's no Shaking from the camera man, this film is so beautiful thanks to the way it was filmed. If you are a person who enjoys psychological drama films then I highly recommend you watch "The Machinist" as it is a superb film of 2004. I give "The Machinist" an 8/10.
½ November 30, 2015
Not a bad movie. The descent into madness is something I can appreciate.
November 25, 2015
Bale was out of this world!
November 14, 2015
To what extent does the fever of acting could take an actor, doing variety roles, breaking all stereotypes on sets to get into the character, appearance makeover, daredevil stunts whatever it is they do that to provide justice to their assigned role that shows their dedication and commitment to their profession that makes them unique among the masses and gains special recognition, here is an actor who went skinny down from being 173 pounds to about 110 pounds to fit into the character, Christian Bale well known for his acting versatility went to the extreme level for 2004 flick ''The Machinist'' and proved his dedication to the cinema.

This psychological thriller has good plot to present, though it seems having very sophisticated screenplay its non tedious and curious plot building makes its viewers to sit with full alert and making them exited as 'Trevor' goes in search of finding the cause and unveiling the bothering devil within, the typical haunting thriller background scores and frame to frame intensity of the scenes adds some plus points to the winning scores, ''The Machinist'' is to be viewed to watch its unusual storyline and for Christian Bale's extraordinary performance.
November 12, 2015
It's hard to understand this psychological-thriller movie. Regardless its hardness, this movie has great actors and terrific screenplay
½ November 11, 2015
Extremely underrated in all facets. Bale pulls off one of the best performances of the decade.
October 28, 2015
Does anyone remember this film and all the brouhaha around Christian Bale losing tons of weight for the part? Well, I finally got to view it and boy, is he running around in it like a skeleton! I thought this was going to be a straight up drama, but upon hearing that Bernard Hermanesque soundtrack, I realized that someone was amiss. The man who has not slept for a year, measuring daily his weight loss? Hmmm. It felt apropos for this time of year and I appreciated the spookiness set in a Western looking environment. Sparks flying in the factory in which Trevor Reznik (Bale) works, the emphasis on severed hands, a Bruce Willis plus pounds look a like with an extremely toothy grin and the route 66 house of horrors all combine to make this film an off kilter and engaging thriller. If investigated too closely, some of the narrative elements, i.e. Trevor's relationship with his mother, don't quite add up logically, but heck, the riding in cars with fateful choices to make keeps the story moving. Poor Jennifer Jason-Leigh, who has terrific acting chops, is wasted yet again on another hooker with a heart of gold role.
October 26, 2015
Christian Bale shows off his incredible acting skills.
October 23, 2015
Very symbolic, a lot of themes, overall great story and great film.
October 16, 2015
Has a distinct Hitchcockian feel about it...and that's always a good thing. Mix that with some great performances and a clever story and you've got yourself one extremely potent and memorable thriller.
September 27, 2015