The Machinist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Machinist Reviews

½ August 4, 2016
A suspenseful, dark mind game that grosses you out a bit but keeps you riveted. Bale at his best, per usual.
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
Very different than I thought, Had a fight club feel to it, Although the plot never goes anywere you get sucked in to it and Christian bale was fantastic, A good film that's not as confusing as you might think and worth watching.
½ July 19, 2016
Relying on a bluish palette of desaturated colors, Anderson creates a tense atmosphere of nightmare, but it is Christian Bale who deserves especial merit for his unbelievable dedication (mostly physical) in this intriguing thriller about the unbearable weight of guilt.
½ June 26, 2016
It is not just Christian Bale's sunken eyes, prominent bones, and pale appearance that haunt us. Director Brad Anderson and the shockingly dedicated Bale are able to achieve a dark, disturbing mentality through sheer talent (and some audience manipulation.)
June 11, 2016
Mysterious alienation.
½ May 26, 2016
Christian Bale kills it as Trevor, an insomniac dealing with what is real and what is not. His journey is bizarre, even if the outcome is predictable, but it still makes for an incredibly enticing film that always holds your attention.
½ May 23, 2016
Stunningly dark film, exploring a guilt syndrome, visually mesmerizing, music is haunting. Tour de force of Christian Bale.
½ May 6, 2016
very boring and strange
½ April 28, 2016
This movie is full of suspense and action and is a bit stomach churning too. I wouldn't watch this while eating popcorn. This is one of Christian Bale's most incredible performances. The storyline is invigorating, and the ending is mind blowing. Truly an unbelievable psychological thriller.
March 19, 2016
Surprisingly, very good, despite the almost total absence of colour from most scenes.
½ March 14, 2016
Different type of movie, worth watching; outstanding acting by Christian Bale as usual!
March 11, 2016
The Machinist is intricate, intense and wound tight in the best way. Anderson's control over his tone, atmosphere and cinematography is impressive and when combined with a truly incredible performance by Christian Bale, this film ranks among the best psychological thrillers. I suspect the Academy would like to have Best Actor nominations back on this one, where the awful Jamie Foxx as well as Don Cheadle, Johnny Depp and Clint Eastwood were each nominated for forgettable performances that required minimal commitment compared to Bale's incredible weight loss and bodily punishment.
March 11, 2016
Dark and reminded me of the classic Twilight Zone episodes mixed in with Hitchcock. And how much weight did Bale lose for this role. Jesus.
½ January 25, 2016
Christian Bale.. A dangerous method actor gives us a sleepless thriller.. The movie in general wasn't five out of five but great.. Worth watching!
January 18, 2016
poetic and powerful
Bale is a genius
January 18, 2016
Exceedingly miserable and disturbing. I loved it.
December 27, 2015
The way the film looks alone, almost a grim feeling, is worth the watch. Not only is the story pretty intriguing from beginning to end, but the twists and shock value were better than some films in that genre because it never felt the need to go to the extreme, i.e. A Serbian Film. Bale gives perhaps the best performance in his career, and leaves you pretty disturbed at times. I loved this movie.
½ December 27, 2015
This movie is a slow burn, but as the story unravels, holy cow! It's just too hard to describe this, yet at the end, it all makes perfect sense! And it is totally worth the wait! It was, however, for me, really hard to see Christian Bale's body. Grossly so. But I must say, he did one heck of an acting job, and obviously went the full nine to play this role! I'd like to write more, but my mind feels totally blown right now.
½ December 20, 2015
The Machinist, directed by Brad Anderson (Session 9) is the story of an industrial worker who hasn't slept in a year and begins to doubt his own sanity.
Christian Bale's transformation is impressive as he lost 63 pounds for this film and literally became skin and bones. Up to that film Bale's screen persona was largely defined by athleticism and physicality. In the machinist he becomes a shadow of insomnia. The film is an alternative psychological thriller of great artistic value. It's end may be considered predictable but still it's cleverly given. Despite the efforts of Brad Anderson to impress through his direction, the film ends up being an absolute one man show by Christian Bale.
December 13, 2015
The Machinist would not succeed if it wasn't for Christian Bale, who keeps the story intriguing, and while the revelation at the end was very satisfying, a good portion of the movie is pretty dry.