Macross Plus Reviews

• Jun 09, 2015

First saw this on Sci-fi back when it was called that. They had and anime block for a bit and they first showed Macross Plus, I least I think. I kinda liked it at first since I was a fan of Robotech and Super Dimensional Fortress Macross so I thought it would be good. When it was over I did my research and found out Bryan Craston voiced Dyson. Also that he tried voice acting for anime before his Malcolm in the Middle days too. Some consider this the Top Gun of anime and I think came out in 1995 on Starz, a premium channel. I won't spoil much of it but if your a fan of anime, Top Gun, Robotech, or even Super Dimensional Fortress Macross give it a watch. This is pretty good for the mid 1990's anime and you can get it on the Amazon Instant Video Store. At least that's where I found it but it's also I think on Youtube as well. I also want to say that back then it was hard for anime fans to keep up with there hobby. It was these anime blocks like on Sci-fi and Cartoon Network did people really get into anime. Even before robotech and all that stuff in the 1980's even.

• Apr 28, 2015

Easily one of the best 90's anime. Breathtaking animation, killer music and an all round touching story of friendship in a fantastical setting.

• Apr 18, 2015

AND WHO THE HELL DIDN'T LIKE THIS!?! it's only literally the greatest thing ever filmed! I witnessed non anime fans sit enthralled by this master piece. Did I mention it's so pretty I question why people were so impressed by Avatar?

• Sep 13, 2013

A classic and I tend to enjoy this one more then Macross II

A classic and I tend to enjoy this one more then Macross II

• Christopher H Super Reviewer
    Sep 01, 2013

A four episode OVA series that acts as the first official sequel in the Macross timeline ("Do You Remember Love?" was an abridged version of the series while "Macross II" was quickly retconned by series creator Shoji Kawamori) that boasts groundbreaking combination of traditional cel and computer-generated animation that still looks sublime even by todays standards. A much more small-scale and personal story, its starts out interesting enough with the deadly rivalry between two test pilots that used to be friends but are now bitter enemies (almost like a much more compelling version of "Top Gun"). Unfortunately, as the OVA goes along it starts focusing more on the test pilot's childhood friend Myung, leading to a rather uninteresting love-triangle that is not helped by the fact that Myung is such a joyless stick in the mud. After a surprisingly filler-ish third episode, the anime descends into a boring and trite rogue-AI plot containing a sloppy eleventh hour soap opera twist (creating a significant plot hole) and an ending that just cuts off anticlimactically. It's a shame because the OVA does a good job of getting into the mind-set of a test pilot, the action is cool, and it also boasts a decent supporting cast that end up being under-utilized. On a side note: Macross Plus was one of the earlier works of Shinichiro Watanabe (co-director) and Keiko Nobumoto (screenwriter). Both would collaborate again on the anime series "Samurai Champloo" and the legendary "Cowboy Bebop". Meanwhile, the International dub features the voice-work of pre-Malcolm in the Middle fame Bryan Cranston as the arrogant test pilot Dyson. That's right, the guy who would go on to win Emmy's for his portrayal of Walter White on "Breaking Bad" was dubbing animes as a part-time job in the early nineties. That's just awesome.

• Jul 29, 2012

If you love planes and mecha, this is for you. A little too sombre perhaps and dramatic. But hell, it's Macross.

• Jul 14, 2012

Totally awesome!!! The Top Gun of Robotech!!!

Totally awesome!!! The Top Gun of Robotech!!!

• May 23, 2012

5/5 Aunque no tengas nada que ver con el universo Macross ni hayas visto Robotech o no te animaste siquiera a ver algo de animacion japonesa , no puedes dejar de ver esta joya .

• Feb 01, 2012

I've watched my fair share of animated films over the years but this has to be one of the most beautifully directed pieces of work ever created, I still find it hard to believe it's from 1984. But as anyone will tell you, beauty isn't all that matters. So let's dig a bit deeper Macross Plus is a science fiction film with a love triangle thrown in for good measure. Isamu and Guld are test pilots fighting to be number one in a new government fighter mech project thing. they are long term enemies after something which happened in their youth with third protagonist Myung, who completes our love story element. We know from an early stage that we should be rooting for Isamu but there are hints (from Guld) that there is something dark in their past which is why they are such strong enemies (I predicted what this was very early on) Myung is the 'producer' for a computer generated musician known as Sharon, she is the most popular musician in the galaxy. The scene where we are introduced to Sharon is actually very cool and reminded me of another great science fiction film, The Fifth Element, mainly due to the music being very similar. So, the story progresses as one would predict with conflict between Guld and Isamu before Sharon becomes self aware and needs to be taken down. The fact the story is predictable is unimportant though as this story is told beautifully. The future has been beautifully imagined as a sprawling utopia. Technological advancements are abound, some of which are readily available today such as the trusty touchscreen devices they use (although I doubt we have mechs like this available yet). As with every Japanese film there needs to be something the story is challenging, in this instance I feel there are a couple of things they were aiming for. The film was made in 1984, a time when technology was fastly progressing and it was a key fear for society. Sharon becoming self aware is a clear argument against the dangers of technology, but let's not forget that Sharon was also a media icon. Yes, this is something else I believe the story was trying to warn us about, the problems of fame. Seriously, see for yourself. A self aware celebrity computer brainwashes the minds of certain characters and takes over technology in an attempt to destroy our heroes. Doesn't sound anything like any musicians I know, well it doesn't until you look at it more as an idea. The idea that the draw of celebrity is toxic to future generations as we all fight to become famous. This film warned us about the dangers of shows like Big Brother, in a way... And on that bombshell, I leave you by saying this film actually surprised me. I wasn't expecting much from it and was surprised by how beautifully crafted it is. As a relatively new anime fan I can safely say I will be looking out for more films in the future as this was something special.

• Jun 03, 2011

A great Anime from here with some style and some great voice acting and ANIMATION For fans DONT MISS THIS GREAT ONE AND SOME EPIC LANDSCAPES!