Mad About English - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad About English Reviews

½ September 26, 2009
Certainly interesting look at the way English is learnt in Beijing in preparation for the Olympics. Amazed at how some tackled it with a militaristic and even "religious" fervor.
August 28, 2009
An interesting documentary feature about the excitement and effort of people in China give to learn English language after won the bid to the Olympics

In here, we see several methods people can do to learn English. The most interesting methods is no doubt the English Camp, where around 10,000 students gathered in one camp, learning English using method that more similar to motivational brainwash camp.

Above all, the movie able to capture perfectly the effort and determination they bring themselves to upgrade and make sure they do their country proud.
½ August 23, 2009
Brilliant, wonderfully shot and extremely funny documentary that delves deep into the Chinese soul and culture as it opens up to foreigners; absolutely essential viewing for any China or language enthusiast!
½ August 10, 2009
This one left me torn. Although it's commendable that the people are so committed and enthusiastic about learning English, this also shows some quite horrifying examples of how NOT to teach English! As a teacher myself and someone who has taught mainland Chinese, drilling the students on translating terms and memorising them just does not work ... no matter how hard you work at it. From a filming point of view, I'd like to have seen more about the group of old folks learning, particularly Jason.
½ June 23, 2009
Impressive docu-movie that has educational value and makes for good family viewing as well.
½ January 3, 2009
indeed very touching to see how everyone study so hard for the Olympics - a historic moment that China is under the spotlight. what's more, they do not study because they love English culture (like we do when we learn Italian, Spanish or Japanese...), but they actually study for the "country's face"! Patriotic to the extreme! Truly inspiring!
December 24, 2008
An inside look at how a nation comes together to prepare for the Olympic Games. Loved all the faux pas portrayed... ;)
½ November 7, 2008
A unique glimpse into China's prep for the Olympics. Conveys the passion and patriotism of a people as they prepare for one of the world's biggest events. Very entertaining indeed.
September 15, 2008
entertaining...yet irony...
½ September 12, 2008
A lighthearted look at various members of the Chinese society, at varying ages, their motivations to learn English and their individual endeavours. Could be a little too over the top for the documentary genre though. I would have loved to see more depth as well.
September 11, 2008
It's a surprisingly AWESOME production from Singapore. It's very real, very eye-opening and amazing, and very funny. Don't be afraid, just try! Go watch!
½ September 9, 2008
It's pretty much a conventional documentary, no surprises. But the fervor with which the Chinese learn English is amazing, and very inspiring. How many Singaporeans are going to pick up a foreign language or fight for a volunteer position for the coming 2010 Youth Olympics?
September 6, 2008
what a crazy crazy crazy mad rush to learn english! this is a great documentry to watch for a couple of heartwarming laughs. entertaining yet you feel some sort of irony after watching it.
September 6, 2008
It starts out a little amatuerish looking but then it becomes quite funny after that. Though there were some boring parts... its amazing to see how crazy these ppl can get about learning english. There is a line that i liked in the film which goes something like "I'm learning english because I pity the world for not knowing how to speak mandarin" or something like that. which is good because I wouldn't want china to lose their roots.
and i really think that bootcamp for learning english is just too harsh.