Les Aventures de Rabbi Jacob (The Adventures of Rabbi Jacob) (The Mad Adventures of 'Rabbi' Jacob) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Les Aventures de Rabbi Jacob (The Adventures of Rabbi Jacob) (The Mad Adventures of 'Rabbi' Jacob) Reviews

November 9, 2013
One of the funniest films I've ever seen. Funes at his finest. Even if you don't speak French , fasten your seatbelt for a great ride.
October 17, 2013
Very fun and super fast paced!
TheDudeLebowski65
July 1, 2013
Rabbi Jacob is a fine French comedy that features the impressive talents of famous French actor Louis de Funes in one of his greatest roles. If you enjoy French comedies and you understand the gags, you're sure to really appreciate this one for what it is. The comedy is sharp, well written and above all smart. This is effective tasteful comedy that manages to make you laugh due to the great acting of Funes, who is always great in his roles. Funes commands the screen with such intensity that you are sucked into his performance. He has as, kill that few comedic actors had. Rabbi Jacob is a fine picture that is a must see for fans of the genre, and it is a fine comedy that is a classic of French cinema. This is pure comedy gold, the way it is meant to be seen. Nowadays, comedies rely on crude, vulgar jokes to create its humor. However with this classic, you get effective, well written comedy that is over the top fun, yet very tasteful. Louis de Funes was a comedic genius, a true talent, not like the so called comedians of today. His skill as an actor in the comedic medium is to be admired, and enjoyed to the fullest. I view him as one of the comedy innovators and if you come across his work, due to yourself a favor, and check it out, you'll be glad you did. With that being said, Rabbi Jacob is a perfect starting point for Funes' work and in my opinion is one of the defining foreign comedies that like I stated, if you understand the language, you'll laugh hard from the start of the film onwards. Louis de Funes has made other great movies of course, but Rabbi Jacob is really the one that sticks out the most and for people that want to get into this talented actors filmography, this is the film to watch. A masterwork of Foreign comedy, Rabbi Jacob is flawless and worth seeking out.
June 3, 2013
Divertido, com humor quase inocente... Lembra os bons tempos de filme dos Trapalhões e Mazzaropi ...
June 2, 2013
Victor Pivert (Louis de Funès) é um homem que não tem nada contra imigrantes, desde que negros, judeus e árabes não se aproximem dele. Durante a viagem para o casamento da filha, ele se mete em diversas aventuras que o fazem mudar seus preconceitos. Para sair das confusões Victor precisa se passar por rabino, sendo até mesmo confundido com um negro quando o escapamento de seu carro estoura em seu rosto e o deixa coberto de fuligem.
½ February 23, 2013
A hilarious meshing of ethnicity, culture, religion and life--A model of its genre!!
June 9, 2012
ridiculous but some good lighthearted laughs to be had, i am starting to understand the whole jerry lewis complex a little better.
½ September 10, 2011
marrant, toujours avec de Funès, et des scènes classiques comme la 'panthire'...et un bonne perspective sur le racisme/xenophisme qui peut heureusement changer quand on rencontre vraiment l'autre...
½ March 23, 2011
Fun, film where everything comes together at the end.
February 8, 2011
I saw this when I was a small child, too young to even know what a Bar Mitzvah was. So I didn't get half the jokes, but it didn't matter: it was still hilarious. Then I saw it again a few years ago, and it's still hilarious! A xenophobic French businessman fires his Orthodox Jewish chauffeur for refusing to drive on the Sabbath, and has to walk home as a result. On the way, he stumbles into an Arab assassination plot, and by a mix of ridiculous circumstances ends up on the run with the target of the plot (who is also an Arab), with both men disguised as rabbis! They could easily have played this for slapstick and sight gags, and there's plenty of that for the kids. But it's a smart film, with the faux "Rabbi Jacob" trying to pass himself off as a real rabbi, while the real Rabbi Jacob he's being mistaken for is never far away. And all the while dodging assassins. It's sort of like "The Defiant Ones" meets Mel Brooks in France, and it definitely works. Great fun for all ages: four stars.
December 15, 2010
very amusing (although ridiculous) French farce about a bigot who pretends to be a rabbi in an effort to escape a gang of revolutionaries
½ August 22, 2010
A classic Louis de Funes flick that I watched with my parents. Not as funny as it used to be when I was younger, but still good silly fun.
July 25, 2010
I laughed my head off ! :))
½ June 18, 2010
Depuis le temps que j'entends parlé de ce film. Réputation justifiée. Complètement ridicule! :) Je précise... j'utilise ce terme de façon favorable, dans le sens de grotesque et caricatural. Louis de Funes, un des meilleurs acteurs français de tous les temps!
½ May 13, 2010
A great comedy starring Louis De Funes. As always, a good comedy, but the humor is a little old. The older audiance is going to love this one, but i doubt the younger generation is going to love it.
January 29, 2010
I remember watching this in high school French class. I barely understood any of it. But, i laughed anyways because it was ridiculous.
January 7, 2010
Every single minute of this movie is funny/hilarious. Uncomparable!
½ December 31, 2009
haha bonne comédie :P
December 13, 2009
Hysterically funny comedy about a bigoted white catholic frenchman who, along with his jewish chauffeur, is forced into helping hide a muslim political leader marked for death until he can return to his own country. One of those European films that is very much American in tone and execution. It doesn't try to be "smart", it merely tries to be funny be employing a great deal of slapstick. Don't Miss It!
½ December 13, 2009
Louis de Funès was a genious. This movie is so funny and fresh that you hardly believe it was made so many years ago. I love his mimics and body language, he can communicate without words. Utterly enjoyable.