Mad Dog and Glory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Dog and Glory Reviews

May 18, 2016
DeNiro when he still had IT. Bill Murray as a manipulative, backstabbing, but very personable hood! And Uma Thurman as the woman between them. Thoroughly enjoyed this, this trip down memory lane, when movies were movies.
½ May 9, 2016
This movie was playing in theaters at the same time as Groundhog Day, both featuring Bill Murray. I saw them back to back on the same afternoon in 1993 at a multiplex theater in Tenleytown, Washington, DC.

I remember being very disappointed with this film. Part of that, though, was that we saw Groundhog Day first, and it would have been very difficult not to be let down by anything after that.

I recently saw Groundhog Day again, which made me think once more about this film. I wondered if it might be worth giving it a second chance. My local library had a copy of it, so I checked it out and watched it last night. It's a reasonably decent film, I've decided, and I enjoyed watching it. But it's definitely not a must-see.
½ April 26, 2016
Cop falls in love with a gangsters girlfriend in this uneven and uninteresting comedy.
½ September 12, 2015
DeNiro can play a complete wimp and Murray can play a heavy--who knew?
½ August 17, 2015
- Watched for the 2nd time in the last few years. I like it, DeNiro and Murray play against type, and Caruso is excellent. A decent comedy if you're in the right mood.

- I hadn't seen this in ages, barely remembered it. Caruso has a great supporting role and the film is pretty entertaining overall.
June 30, 2015
A pointless, pointless waste of Bill Murray's nuance and Robert De Niro's mole, "Mad Dog And Glory" is a movie that never lets you get comfortable, in all the wrong ways.
½ October 13, 2014
All throughout the movie I just could not buy Murray as the tough guy heavy.
September 28, 2014
Watching Murray and DeNiro play against one another - and against type - was a sheet delight.
September 1, 2014
Bill Murray? What can I say?
½ March 10, 2014
Robert De Niro gets an unexpected shot at real happiness in this entertaining comedy drama.
December 7, 2013
A romantic comedy that guys will not mind watching - a good mix of cop / mobster action, fights and just enough romance to make it not too sticky sweat. Good formula - more writers should follow this style.
November 3, 2013
What an odd little film. After making Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, McNaughton collaborated with producer Martin Scorsese and delivered this gangster/comedy/love story. The result is hit and miss. The best thing about it is in its casting. Robert De Niro & Bill Murray reverse the stereotypes. Murray plays the gangster and De Niro plays the awkward, insecure introvert. Uma Thurman brings them together. Apparently, during filming, De Niro got mad at Murray and exclaimed, "Stop trying to be so funny all the time!" Murray took this to heart and his performance is the most interesting. He withdraws and purposefully acts "not funny." It totally works. Not surprisingly, his acting would improve immensely in his upcoming movies. It seems De Niro is a good teacher. That said, despite its great character moments, the story never fully comes together. It falters here and there and the plot seems contrived and awkward. Still, the supporting characters are great to watch as well. Especially, Caruso and Starr.
September 14, 2013
Probably the first dramatic performance I'd seen from Bill Murray (I didn't watch "The Razor's Edge" when it came out) and I remember being impressed. He held his own with Robert De Niro and did a great job executing the fine Richard Price script. De Niro plays a meet police officer who saves the life of mobster, Murray, who then gives him Uma Thurman for a week as a thank-you. This film also marked the first major feature directed by John McNaughton, following his terrifying and unsettling "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" and the quirky "The Borrower." Price delivers a script with some sharp dialogue and a tone that goes between romantic & sentimental and gritty & edgy fairly seamlessly. There's also a great supporting case that includes Mike Starr, Tom Towles, Kathy Baker, David Caruso and Richard Belzer. And although De Niro is the protagonist of the film, Murray really steals every scene that he's in. There's also a a nice score by the great Elmer Bernstein.
September 13, 2013
Not too bad, but it was a little contrived with some poor directing and acting in an 80s sort of way. Regardless, it kept me engaged with Murray as the gangster comedian, Thurman as his property and de Niro as the timid cop all struggling to come to terms with each other. My favorite part seemed to be that Thurman always hinted at not loving him, and that gave it some truth. I wouldn't be surprised if she left him the following week. I liked the red headed side kick of de niros, he gave it some nice character.
September 7, 2013
watched this a few days ago for the first time all the way thru. before had just seen bits and pieces of it and must say was pleasantly surprised. mainly watched b/c of robert de niro but uma thurman was good and had good chemistry with him. bill murray's part was a bit odd as a gangster but still quite interesting to watch. :)
½ August 20, 2013
"I'm the expediter of your dreams, pal"
½ August 19, 2013
I can;t help to think that this film was supposed to be something different and interesting but ended up neither this nor that. De Niro as the shy police officer is fully in his role. Uma Thurman is well cast as Murray'd thank you gift to De Niro. Murray is good but doesn't play a character different to the one he usually plays. Some parts are funny, some have a distinct dark feel. Yet, altogether, it doesn't sum up to a coherent picture.
June 3, 2013
You get Bill Murray as a mobster moonlighting as a comedian. You get Robert De Niro as a sensitive cop. They play their parts well, which I feel should go without saying given the caliber of actor here. They just have nothing to do. Despite it's best efforts, Mad Dog and Glory is a mostly boring film with a few sparse moments of real entertainment. It's too bad. It could have really been good, but it moves at such a slow pace. I suppose there's a reason this movie is mostly forgotten now.
May 19, 2013
It might not have a fresh or engaging plot, but it is still fun to watch.
April 26, 2013
Mad Dog and Glory. Two of the best screen legends sharing a movie together. Loved that De Niro and Murray were the stars alongside Uma Thurman. Very very entertaining movie. Just one of those run-of-the-mill 90s movies where you go along for the ride but its not really that great of a movie, fun to watch and formulaic but a good filler movie and Murray has a totally different role as a gangster which is fun to watch. Also needs to be stated that uma thurman is absolutely stacked, unbelievable tits. Not a bad movie at all and kind of an unrealistic concept but who cares just incredibly watchable, 5.5 or 6/10 maybe even 6.5