Mad Dog and Glory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Dog and Glory Reviews

blkbomb
December 5, 2011
Milo: You love her? I own her!

"A cop who'd rather be an artist. A mobster who'd rather be a comic. And a woman who'd rather be anywhere but between them."

A lot of great people were at work in Mad Dog and Glory. Robert De Niro, Bill Murray and Uma Thurman make up the all-star cast. John McNaughton, who directed Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer directed it and Martin Scorsese produced it. With all that talent I expected a much more lively and much funnier film. What I got was an enormous disappointment. There wasn't much I liked about it. I was even taken aback by the performances from De Niro and Murray. They aren't bad, but they don't seem as good as we know they are.

A cop saves a mobster's life in a holdup. In order to pay the cop back for saving his life, the mobster gives him a girl that he owns. The girl and the cop fall in love and now they have to decide how to stay together and not have Milo go crazy and kill one or both of them. That plot just isn't all that interesting to me and it is even less interesting on screen then it is on paper.

Mad Dog and Glory ended up being bland, and that is not something you expect when watching a Bill Murray or De Niro film. When I think about it McNaughton directed Henry... in sort of the same fashion. He made everything as dull as possible. In that movie it made sense though. This is supposed to be a comedy and should have been approached much differently. This pretty much shows why he faded away as a director and never really made anything as good or better than Henry.
½ August 17, 2010
People are never happy with where they are. You can always do more, even if you think you have what you want. It's never enough when you get there. For Wayne "Mad Dog" Dobie (Robert De Niro) the thought of a good retirement and health care as a police forensic photography, but he craves to be an artist. He craves to have a girl. He craves to be a tough man, the American ideal like John Wayne. One night he stops by a convenience store and in his own way saves Frank Milo (Bill Murray) from a robber. Frank wants to re-pay Mad Dog for saving him so he gives him a girl named Glory (Uma Thurman) for a week of... whatever. It's in that week that Mad Dog takes to first steps to be the person he wants to be, the problem is that when the weeks up Frank, who happens to be a mobster, wants Glory back to work off the rest of the tab she owes him.

There's some weird casting in this. De Niro is the quiet, sky photographer while Bill Murray is the crime lord. It's different and it works. The pair play off each other in a way that is mesmerizing on screen. Bill Murray goes beyond his usual schtick and allows a peak at a dark demon that underlies his character who also spends time as a Mafia stand up comic. This film is one of Uma Thurman's greatest performances, balancing out a naive girl who has learned some street smarts since being under Franks thumb.

Frank tells Mad Dog when they meet that he had the ability to fulfill his dreams and that's basically what the film shows in a warped sort of path. Mad Dog and Glory is a great movie with some classic performances that may have been forgotten over the years. It's a lost gem of the early 1990's.
½ July 17, 2010
Whatever happened to director John McNaughton? Not since "Wild Things" have I heard his name mentioned. Apparently he is still making stuff but seems to have fallen into T.V. obscurity despite showing some early potential.
This, his follow up to the brutal and violent "Henry: Portrait of a serial killer" follows the story of shy and retiring police detective Wayne Dobie (Robert DeNiro), ironically nicknamed "Mad Dog" due to his gentle nature and lack of machismo. By chance one evening, during a liquor store hold-up, Wayne saves the life of Frank Milo (Bill Murray), who it later transpires is a local influential gangster. As a form of gratitude Milo sends a gift to Wayne in the shape of Glory (Uma Thurman) for Wayne to have "fun" with for a week. After reluctantly accepting, Wayne finds himself falling in love and determined to save Glory from the control and ownership of Milo.
Director McNaughton begins this film with excellent use of black and white bursting into colour with the smoke of a crack-pipe during a drug deal. With this edgy beginning it looks like we will be treated to another gritty urban tale like his previous film. However, as the story progresses it falls into romantic comedy territory, which doesn't really gel with some genuinely dangerous situations and characters. The shift in tone doesn't really work and the film can't seem to decide what it wants to be. There's also an uncomfortable message running through it, of glorifying macho behaviour. DeNiro's character is never really accepted until he displays his macho potential and all the other male characters walk around with there chests puffed out and their fists clenched, leaving the females nothing more than cowering damsels in distress in need of saving. This is all a bit of a shame really, as the performances are excellent. DeNiro and Murray could easily have been cast in each others roles to good effect but by being cast against type it keeps them very interesting to watch. David Caruso is also brilliant, reprising his confident "NYPD Blue" type policeman.
These fantastic performances are what make this film a standout and worthwhile. Its hard to be overly satisfied with its different tones and uneasy balance with humour and while not entirely successful, it is at least ambitious and does things differently.
½ June 4, 2007
I really enjoyed this film, one to just sit back and relax with. Love the more humble parts De Niro plays as well as the powerful.

Was this the first film perhaps, to have a crime boss in therapy? before Analyse This/That and The Soprannos?
garyX
½ May 18, 2007
A pretty decent comedy drama with some odd casting, but lets face it, these you could watch these guys in nearly anything...the plot actually has a little depth considering it's lighthearted approach too.
April 3, 2007
One of the most underrated films around.
½ March 7, 2012
Mad Dog and Glory is a mediocre drama that's a bit weak on story. The film follows "Mad Dog" Dobie, a Chicago cop, who is befriended by Frank Milo, a mobster, after Dobie saves his life, but things turn ugly when a girl comes between them. The film has a good cast that includes Robert De Niro, Bill Murray, and Uma Thurman, and both Murray and Thurman give interesting performances. However, most of the story is underdeveloped, which causes a lot of the intrigue to fizzle out. Mad Dog and Glory starts out interesting enough, but doesn't follow through.
½ June 29, 2006
This film's flawed writing has some skewed logistics and minor awkwardness, but for the most part it provides two talented performers some great material to work with. Acting against naturally expected stereotypes, Murray and (especially) De Niro turn in fantastic character portraits. Clumsy direction and an uninspired performance from the beautiful Uma Thurman don't detract from the entertainment factor of this movie. I really enjoyed it.
½ July 5, 2009
I think this one was one of the first times i saw Bill Murray in a semi serious role and i was shocked on how well it was done. Good flick all around.
½ May 25, 2007
Bill Murray is a great villian.
June 3, 2013
You get Bill Murray as a mobster moonlighting as a comedian. You get Robert De Niro as a sensitive cop. They play their parts well, which I feel should go without saying given the caliber of actor here. They just have nothing to do. Despite it's best efforts, Mad Dog and Glory is a mostly boring film with a few sparse moments of real entertainment. It's too bad. It could have really been good, but it moves at such a slow pace. I suppose there's a reason this movie is mostly forgotten now.
November 3, 2012
It's as a comedy, well a dramady. But it isn't very funny, outside a few Murrary zingers. The lead performances are good, especially scenes between Murrary and DeNiro. Kinda hope these two hook up again.
½ July 29, 2012
I just couldn't buy Bill Murray as a Mob Boss. They really should have chosen someone else. I never took his character seriously. De Niro is good in this, and so is the beautiful and sexy Uma Thurman.
July 7, 2011
Good movie with interesting roles with Robert DeNiro as a shy, wishing he was strong guy, while Bill Murray was the tough Mafia bad guy and Uma Thurman did a splendid job as Glory.
March 21, 2011
Mad Dog and Glory is one of those movies that is very intriguing. It's not interesting because of the plot, however. Actually, the plot isn't anything special. The fascinating thing about this film is the characters, and the brilliant performances by the actors playing these characters. It's one of those character-studies that require close attention with viewing. I hope to revisit this film soon, because I'm sure it takes multiple to really understand.

Robert De Niro plays Wayne, nicknamed Mad Dog, a police officer that's not satisfied with his job, or really anything in his life. After a holdup in a corner store, Wayne ends up saving the life of Frank Milo (Bill Murray), a mob boss who like Wayne, sometimes wishes he spent his life doing something else (he won't tell you that though). Frank, as advised by his therapist, offers Wayne a favor. Wayne is rewarded with a week of personal service from Glory (Uma Thurman), a woman who works for Frank. Wayne ends up having a connection Glory, which creates a problem between him and Frank.

Mad Dog has a little bit of humor to it, enough that the actors can work off of it. Bill Murray does an especially good job. He's got the charm necessary for the role, along with this sense of unhappiness underneath. Not to mention that he was a believable mob boss. Who knew Bill Murray could play a gangster.

Robert De Niro is also perfect in the title role. Like his other roles, this character is an average guy who is full of anger, locked down deep inside him. I don't think there's ever been an actor who's does a better job of that than De Niro.

Check out Mad Dog and Glory. It's available to watch instantly on Netflix. Then, watch it again. I know I will be returning to it soon.
½ June 14, 2010
Wanna know something? With such an interesting premise, this movie could have actually been awesome with the right execution. Turns out this movie kind of backfired in my opinion. There were some entertaining scenes, but not enough to compare with how many ridiculous scenes there were. In my opinion, "Mad Dog and Glory" is a film to forget about.

You've got Robert De Niro, Bill Murray, and Uma Thurman. How can you go wrong right? That's exactly what I thought until I was about 30 minutes into this movie, where everything started to get awkward and boring. Basically Bill Murray plays this rich guy, and Robert De Niro is an insecure detective who doesn't have any balls. He "SAVES" Murray, and Murray repays him by giving Robert Uma Thurman for a week. Basically they fall in love, and that's a problem, considering Uma belongs to Bill. That's basically the whole movie. It's kind of an interesting plot, but the way this movie gradually get's more and more boring, is something that is very disappointing to me.

The performances in this movie are just really weird. Everyone has this really tranquil vibe, and everything just seems very uncomfortable. Either that or the actors just didn't give a shit. Either way I didn't really like it. I mean usually, you can't go wrong with these actors, and none of them were terrible, but they weren't as good as they should have been, that's all I'm saying.

Basically this movie is boring boring, sex, boring, really bad comedy, and so on and so forth. There's really nothing that stands out in this movie. No particular favorite scene or anything.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that this movie could have been a lot better if these things were changed: If the actors gave more enthusiastic performances, if the chemistry between Murray and De Niro wasn't REALLLY weird, if the script was a little more decent, and the film wasn't as dull in certain scenes. It could have been great, but overall, "Mad Dog and Glory" was just a weird boring movie to me, and that's all.
January 19, 2010
Enjoyable little gem of a film featuring two great actors. Bill Murray is hilarious especially his "Botulism" line. De Niro gives a strong performance as well. Rumor is that Murray actually broke his nose when filming there fight scene. Hate David Caruso, but he played a cocky asshole so he was a natural for the role. Thurman was nothing special could have cast anyone. The guy that played "Harold" was also quite amusing. Overall nice little flick with plenty of laughs.
December 12, 2009
Sad and poignant. An underrated effort from both De Niro and Murray, playing against their respective types. Thurman may have never looked more beautiful, and David Caruso really kicks some ass. I would like to see an alternate cut, or at least the excised footage as some extra material somewhere but nooooo.
½ October 2, 2009
*** (out of four)

A mobster (Bill Murray) lends his girlfriend (Uma Thurman) to a police officer (Robert de Niro) after the cops saves his life.

The film has some problems, but for the most part it is an original and delightful comedy with standout performances from the actors.
September 8, 2009
The cast has talent, the story had potential, but the film never delivered. The chemistry didn't seem like it was there and the movie never quite gelled together. I didn't know whether to classify this as a comedy or an action type of film but it doesn't even really fit in either. Don't waste your time this forgettable early 90's flick, it wasted mine.