Mad Dog Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Dog Time Reviews

May 1, 2015
A fun time at the theater until this movie stared.
July 31, 2014
One of my favorite movies, apparently like marmite, you love it or hate it, I love it
½ May 26, 2014
The film occupies some strange universe in which every dilemma can be fixed by characters shooting each other - there is no direction or purpose in this picture, only chaos.
April 24, 2014
Funny parody of Miller's Crossing type gangster movies... Helps cure one's 'ennui'!
½ April 5, 2014
I'd read terrible reviews of this film, but I did enjoy writer/director Larry Bishop's biker film "Hell Ride," so I was curious about this film. The film has an unbelievably strong and diverse cast, which includes Richard Dreyfuss, Gabriel Byrne, Jeff Goldblum, Ellen Barkin, Diane Lane, Gregory Hines, Burt Reynolds, Richard Pryor, Billy Idol, Paul Anka, Rob Reiner, Michael J. Pollard, Henry Silva, Joey Bishop, Larry Bishop and Kyle MacLachlan, but a weak script and a very odd representation of 1950s gangland that I think was trying to approximate a kitschy recreation of Rat Pack films like "Robin and the Seven Hoods." The story, such as it is, involved mob boss Dreyfuss getting out of a sanatarium while his many underlings vie for empire with guns and words. The story unfolds in a very clumsy manner and ends up feeling like a collection of scenes than as a cohesive whole. However, the stellar cast manages to make the film endurable, but that's as far as it goes. Pretty weak stuff.
March 1, 2014
My favorite! Also called "Trigger Happy"
½ January 6, 2014
An alternate reality, gangster flick. Slow paced, but still really enjoyed it. Proof that movie critics and myself are diametrically opposed in what we look for in movies. Plus, Billy Idol has a cameo. I wouldn't classify it as a comic-caper movie - it's a tad more serious, but still has some laughs.
December 23, 2013
MAD DOG TIME is such an abysmal and worthless waste of time, it's not even really worth reviewing. This film feels like it never ends, and the humor is so totally unfunny.
½ October 30, 2013
Also, known as "Trigger Happy," to describe this film is like this: some dark place where there is some turf war between I guess two different gangster squads who seem to be mental and obtain guns without permits or effort, leading to even more concern that the US government needs to enforce gun control. Other than that, I have absolutely no idea what this movie is about and this is how I would describe it: excruciatingly, annoying, incoherent, awful, and pure and utter torture. Everyone in this film is just dreadful. The scene featuring singer Billy Idol is putrid. The scene featuring Paul Anka singing with Gabriele Byrne is appalling (what on Earth was Anka thinking!). The shootouts are truly inept, slow, and stupid in every department. Dreyfus and Goldblum must be at low points here in their careers, as I cannot imagine movies with them worse than this. This is as bottom-of-barrel as it gets. You'll go mad and perhaps should the tape or VCR or DVD that you watched this monstrosity off of. Ranks among one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
½ September 6, 2013
The story is about Vic played by Richard Dreyfuss who is a crime boss sent home and is ready to resume his job as supreme leader of the mob. Mickey Holliday who is Vic's enforcer and right hand man played by Jeff Goldblum is trying to have everything squared away for Vic's return which may complicate his personal life since he is having an affair with Vic's girlfriend Grace Everly played by Diane Lane and Rita Everly played by Ellen Barkin both at the same time because they're the Everly sisters, get it? However, there has been a number of other gangster fighting over to take control of the territory especially Ben London played by Gabriel Byrne who is Vic and Mickey's rival. Then we have the comedy and OMG it is horrendous! All they do is constantly shoot each other and this just happens over and over! Roger Ebert quoted that this movie is the equivalent of staring at a blank wall and I totally agree with him because he hated this movie so much. There was barely anything going on in this movie. This movie pisses me off so badly! What was so funny about it? Nothing! I am forced to give it a rating I haven't given any movie a long time. Mad Dog Time gets a I-don't-give-a-fuck/10!
August 25, 2013
This is not your typical Sam Slade or Dashiel Hammett dime-novel-turned-movie shtick. This actually made my smile of the day.
Gabriel Byrne plays as comic relief, who knew that his wit could be turned to satire? Ellen Barkin as the femme fatale takes a gorgeous turn and Jeff Goldblum as suave Micky Holliday is cool hand luke for sure.
I did find Richard Dreyfuss a bit understated, but the rest of the cast made good in support including Billy Drago - always a villain and a wicked sense of humour.
Guns and bullets as a relief for pathos this is not, but certainly not a typical hollywood product either.
July 21, 2013
*Zero Stars*
I have seen bad movies, really bad movies, atrocious movies, and then there are movies that are unexpectedly worse then anyone can comprehend. That's Mad Dog Time. It's a painfully awful, stupid, idiotic, boring, and horribly scripted piece of trash. A complete waste of time and talent. Set in a different planet were men in flashy tuxes kill each other, talk, kill, talk, then kill. Worst part is that it doesn't make sense. The head bad guy wants to see which one of his men can shoot the best. So what does he do? He make them play in a cowboy-styled shootout. If they're both your best men, why kill one and risk the other just so you can see which one is the best? Roger Ebert gave this zero stars, so I figured that I had to watch it in order to see how bad it was. My expectation was already very low. But it was worse than I thought. Way worse. Do not, I repeat DO NOT watch Mad Dog Time.
½ July 1, 2013
An enjoyably off-center black comic parody of gangster movies--Tart mobster story!!
April 17, 2013
I really enjoyed this bit of satirical mayhem as a full on cast of stars, go ahead, count 'em, rip through undiscovered treasure of a gag on I'm-tougher-than-you mob films that I'd never even heard of before. Gabe Byrne particularly sparkles, given crazy dialogue, but then everyone's great. A very nice surprise.
½ March 8, 2012
Kind of bizarre. Not for everyone. Dark and quirky humor. But I liked it.
July 8, 2011
An absurd farce (and loving homage to) the gangster genre, complete with ample doses of surrealism and existentialism. It's totally off-the-wall, but it works.
½ May 9, 2011
Evidence that good actors can make legendary crap.
½ April 5, 2011
Pure Larry Bishop - surrealist noir, badass cold-blooded killers, and Shakespearean-level dialogue comedy (puns and wordplay). Bishop always creates his own culture with his films. He cuts the cops and morality out of the story with little more than a shrug of the shoulder and a smug cocked eyebrow, not even bothering to write an explanation into the story - there needn't be an explanation. This is an exploitation film, it can exist in any world, however realistic or unrealistic it chooses to be. Bishop amputates the gangrenous limb of socially acceptable morality so quickly because it is uninteresting. Far more interesting is the morally ambiguous cast of colorful characters Bishop is so adept at writing. Bishop himself plays a much-talked about nihilistic (of course) killer: "you wanna hear my philosophy on life? To hell with goddamn everything."
½ March 11, 2011
Larry Bishop is the worst filmaker of history of cinema !!
½ February 15, 2011
One of those movies I can't help but like despite how bad some parts of it are (the script, Jeff Goldblum, giving Ellen Barkin the lead female role and Diane Lane like 2 seconds of screen time). With a few adjustments, this could've been a lot better. You can't take your eyes off Gabriel Byrne the whole time, he just kills it.