Mad Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Love Reviews

July 24, 2014
A queen is driven insane by the loneliness of her position.. True story of 'the mad queen of Castile'--An esoteric and richly endowed period piece!!
July 14, 2014
Its authentic title in Spanish release, "Joanna the Mad" is a better fit, it reminded me of The Duchess, but did a better job than that film of realizing its potential.
June 29, 2014
To me this was such a good example of what not to let a man drive you to. When you truly love someone and they do not return your love, (or even worse they abuse it), it can lead you to a level of passion that teeters on insanity. The message I got from this film is to not be like Juana.
January 27, 2013
Saw this movie after it was strongly recommended by friends. Ignore the 'professional' critics its a uniquely entertaining movie. The banter between husband and wife are classical.
½ May 13, 2012
True story, based on obsession
April 23, 2012
Interesting from a historical perspective, otherwise not much special here.
DragonEyeMorrison
April 12, 2012
It's from spain, so of course it has lots of tits. Can't remember much else.
½ January 19, 2012
Though not much interested in the Spanish history, I really loved the amazing sets and the very beautiful actress who portrayed the allegedly crazy queen. The way her obsession with her not so trustworthy husband drives her to the point of madness is really captured well.
½ June 30, 2011
Película de cine española dirigida por Vicente Aranda, basada en la historia de amor y celos de Juana I de Castilla, apodada "La loca" y Felipe el Hermoso. La película fue rodada en muchos lugares históricos de España y Portugal
½ January 15, 2011
December 22, 2010
She looks nothing like the actual queen. It was still an enjoyable film.
½ September 24, 2010
A very melodramatic film about true love and forgiveness during the medieval period.
June 15, 2010
A very interesting look into the troubled life of a queen. What terrible and fascinating things have happen to some of history's most important people.
April 26, 2010
High production values barely save this film from its overdramatized writing and its stubborn lack of nuance.
April 21, 2010
Good historical films are few and far between, however, Juana La Loca (a.k.a. Mad Love) is definitely a good one. It is indeed a rare thing for historical personalities who are not Elizabeth I or Cleopatra to get their own feature films, although historical fiction novels are quite numerous. So to see that Juana de Trastamara did get her own film, and made by film makers from her own homeland, I was more than delighted.

Juana's story is nothing but tragic, largely due to the fact that she was an impassioned woman who was married to a vicious philanderer. Whether or not she was truly insane, we shall never know for certain, for due to the series of fateful events, she found herself from being the third-born child of Isabel I of Castile and Fernando II of Aragon to being the heiress and then Queen of Castile. Power plays around her by the men closest to her: her father, her husband, and later her son, must have played a factor to some degree of the tales spun about her that have made her legendary.

The film is treated well, in terms of cinematography, costumes, sets, movement of plot, and acting. Pilar Lopez de Ayala makes a very charming Juana, indeed. Acting as the wife who is obsessed with the handsome husband who shuns her over-eager attentions, Ms. Lopez de Ayala succeeds well in bringing out the sympathies of the audience. What person who has ever been in love could not imagine what they would do if they were in her shoes? Her acting is very convincing as the Spanish Infanta who goes from being an innocent girl, into a jealous wife, to a dignified queen -- for as history does show, Juana may have been the subject of several scandals in her day, but there is also evidence that she never forgot her upbringing as the daughter of Isabel I.

Perhaps the one segment that could have been removed was the inclusion of the Moorish courtesan, but otherwise, this is a great film. Certainly, when Juana's husband Philip lies dying, little sympathy can be mustered for him, but more can be generated for Juana's sorrow. Overall, a great presentation of a life and personality that should not be, and has not been, forgotten.
April 19, 2010
February 7, 2010
I know the critics don't like it, but I do. Pilar Lopez perfectly portrays a woman driven mad by love - her desire to love and to be loved by an unfaithful husband is a very real phenomenon still relevant today. Brilliant acting by the leads...the movie uncovers the madness of the upper classes and royalty, how far a woman is willing to go for undivided affection, and how little a man has to do to break a heart.
½ February 1, 2010
No se guardo mi resenia... A grandes rasgos comente que la interpretacion de Pilar Lopez de Ayala es increible y sorprendente. Estoy realmente enamorado de esta gran actriz que se lleva la camara por completo. Por otra parte, la pelicula es casi perfecta. El texto tiene muchas cosas que son dignas de anotarse.
January 24, 2010
I know this particular part of Spain's history is very dramatic, but I think the movie could have been less stiff and dense and it would have been more interesting. The "soup-opera" atmosphere plus the voice over did not do it for me at all. It would have been more engaging if there was more human feeling to it, more real emotion and some lightness, but even the "happy" moments were to heavy to enjoy the movie.