Mad Max - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Max Reviews

½ April 22, 2017
2017-04-20
i felt it very uncomfortable to watch
April 10, 2017
For a movie of its time the action sequences were impressive.
½ March 21, 2017
This was something I hadn't revisited since the VHS days, so I was pleased to give it a spin on Blu-ray with the recent Anthology release. The story is simple and while I dug the film overall as I'd expected to, the ending always feels slightly anticlimactic for me for some reason that I can't quite articulate.

Still, well worth a look and something any action fan deserves the chance to revisit.
½ February 10, 2017
a classic full of action
January 15, 2017
Great low budget action movie from the 70s, the movie that started the great franchise. It's stunning how marvelous and interesting this movie is, how skillfuly executed by Miller. And of course the very young Mel Gibson. Sadly they forgot how to make movies without CGI, movies that look way compelling and realistic without CGI.
December 25, 2016
Mel Gibson's family is killed buy a biker gang. He goes after them. Pretty good!
December 20, 2016
By the artful direction of George Miller, these films each stand as thriller-masterpieces with practice stunts and action to immerse their viewers.
½ December 19, 2016
A decent cult action movie full of great stunts and car crashes that make the best of a very low budget, even though the story takes a bit too long to speed up, making the entire beginning a little dragged and reaching its narrative core with only fifteen minutes left to end.
December 17, 2016
Dark, Thrilling And Pulse Pounding, George Miller's Mad Max Is A Brilliant Piece Of Post-Apocalyptic Action With Mel Gibson At The Front Of It All.
December 4, 2016
Survived the test of time, created an eerie and disturbing universe of post-apocalyptic life.
½ November 27, 2016
Painful to watch. On Blu-ray.
November 24, 2016
If you're like me, you wanted to watch the original Mad Max movies after seeing Fury Road, which is easily one of the best films of the decade and a landmark in cinema. So when I came to watch this original, I was left disappointed. In its 93 minute runtime, not much actually happens that really matters until well into the third act, and even then it doesn't really pick up speed until the final 20 minutes. Pacing is a problem in this movie. Mad Max had the right elements to be a mixture of The Warriors and Death Wish, but drags endlessly. And the saddest part is that with a modern day George Miller, these elements could have been tightened up, to really drive the elements that lead Max to go from jaded police officer to vigilante. It's just a shame we spend so little time on the latter, that it clearly means that The Road Warrior will promise a more exciting film.

The cast is alright, but ultimately nothing really shocking here. Mel Gibson, who is great, fades into the background much like Tom Hardy's take on the character. But with it being a movie focused on Max's origins, it's problematic. And while it's interesting to see how he gets his car, how he loses his family, and how he lived in a world much like our own (surprising since in about 10 - 20 movie years, the world is apocalyptic), so much could have been removed or reshot so that the stronger parts of this movie take place earlier on, and we can see how bad-ass this character is.
½ November 19, 2016
This is a great movie! It looks amazing on Blu-Ray.
½ September 22, 2016
an amazing film and excellent build up of gibsons character (which i believe is the biggest purpose of this film)
½ September 22, 2016
While it could use more action, the "Mad Max" that started them all has enough weight to the narrative to save it from aging as badly as it could have.
½ September 16, 2016
More plot than the others to get in the way of the action, and things are perhaps a little too civilised, but what action there is is outstanding, it's full of colourful characters and awesome vehicles, and Hugh Keays-Byrne's Toecutter is one of my favourite ever movie villains. It's almost as though this one tells all the necessary story, allowing the sequels to exist as the extended action sequences they are. This is where Max gets mad.
September 8, 2016
Mad Max sure has all the madness we would expect, and it's great like that.
½ August 29, 2016
The Apocalypse is now Max's, full of rage and death
August 14, 2016
82%
While essentially watchable for Keays-Byrne as Toecutter distinctively, Mad Max is slow to start but delivers the goods for those who are patient enough to wait.

V: 73%
½ August 9, 2016
Mad Max traz com perfeição corridas e acidentes acompanhado de uma ótima direção do George Miller e atuação de Mel Gibson