Mad Monkey Kung Fu - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Monkey Kung Fu Reviews

July 10, 2016
I adore this flick. Great comedy and fight sequences. Love the textbook revenge story.
February 28, 2016
I'm kind of a sucker for marital arts films that feature comic kung-fu styles like "Drunken Master," which director Chia-Liang Liu (who I always think of as Lau Kar Leung) also directed. However, despite solid production values and some clever fight sequences, the lead actors in the film, one of them being Lau Kar Leung, just aren't as funny or as charismatic as Jackie Chan and the comedy often comes off more annoying than funny; kind of like my reaction to most Jim Carrey films. Still, the fight sequences are done well enough to make this film worth checking out for fans of the genre.
½ August 4, 2015
A master of monkey-style kung fu is framed and blackmailed by an evil dude. His sister becomes an indentured servant and his hands are crippled in payment for his supposed crimes. Years later, he's a street performer with a trained monkey. He befriends a petty thief named "Monkey" ... who acts like a monkey. They run afoul of crooked tax collectors, and he trains Monkey in monkey-style kung fu. Naturally, the man behind the tax collectors is the man who framed him. The film kind of drags in the middle, but starts and finishes with bravura comedic kung fu sequences. Well worth a watch for Shaw Brothers fans.
½ July 21, 2014
77%

Was there a connection between the gay jokes and monkey style? I don't knoow.
½ July 6, 2013
Having lost the great Liu Chia-liang 2 weeks ago, I felt bad about still having this one on my shelf and never having watched it. Many said it was one of his best, and at the very least they were right. It might even be THE best film he's ever made. The Monkey Fist fighting style is crazy and hilarious and unlike anything out there.
April 14, 2013
Mad Monkey Kung Fu is formulaic in premise not only for a martial arts film but for a revenge film in general. But it does have a lot of good Kung Fu both small in scale and uber large where one master of the monkey fu takes on what seems like hundreds or combatants.
As one would hope for with a film about monkey styled kung fu, this film also tends towards the lighter side of things adding a lot of humour.
Where people might find fault is the fact that this is old style kung fu. It's not the fast past realistic action we see today and the humour is also dated. But if you are a fan of this style of martial arts film, Mad Monkey Kung Fu should delight and entertain easily.
½ November 25, 2012
Repetitive and uneven "Mad Monkey Kung Fu" never reaches the heights it is capable of and with each passing sequence of tomfoolery, the humor only threatens to get better. That being said the acrobatic skill of the two leads is hard to brush aside even when this seemingly family-friendly gung fu film meets head-on with visceral mean-spiritedness. Director Liu Chia Liang portrays a master of the monkey fist in his first starring role. Hsiao Ho is a pickpocket cum student cum monkey fist master looking to settle a score with Shaw Brothers baddy Lo Lieh for framing and ordering the crippling of his master.
½ June 30, 2012
Mad Monkey Kung Fu is corny and cheesy even by 70s Kung Fu standards and the story may be too slow and messy for some. Good thing though that the fight scenes are fantastic, the athleticism is admirable, and the choreography is really cool.
September 4, 2011
I liked this movie, but I could do without some of the terrible things that happens to the monkey master. Lo Wei, who was in 5 fingers of death was the villain. By the way, 5 fingers of death is an absolutely awful movie; but I digress. The training of the student who the monkey master trains was really great. The final fight scene was terrific and you will see why the movie is called Mad Monkey Kung Fu.
August 26, 2011
Easily one of the darker martial arts movie. It begins with the title character getting tricked, crippled, and his sister forced to be a mistress by the villain. Lau Kar Leung then must train a mischievous thief in the ways of Monkey Fist in order to redeem himself and save his sister.

The fights are not anything special, but it does have some excellent training montages. A training fight near the end is noteworthy, and so is the crazy acrobatics that are used by the pupil.

A decent martial arts movie, but not of the best of Lau Kar Leung.
October 4, 2010
A Great Kung Fu Eastern with a funny superior Fighting Style
½ June 19, 2010
First shaw bros movie I ever saw.... boy have I neglected certain martial art cinema pieces I usual only watch golden harvest, and Jackie chan or sammo hung films. I heard of shaw bros of course, but never gave them any time... This movie is very gd for 79. The stunts and choreography for 79 is very impressive it's no police story like jackie chan tumbling through windows and flipping of buildings ot hanging on buses. But as I mentioned for 79 it's pretty damn awesome!

And the story is pretty engaging for a martial arts movie.
½ August 21, 2009
One of my all time favorite Kung Fu movies! A definate must see for any kung fu flick junky, or practioner.
½ July 21, 2008
One of my all time favorites!!!
May 2, 2008
This film is mad and brilliant. The fighting in this is genius.
January 15, 2008
Rolig film om hur master Chen blir stympad i sina händer så han inte kan använda sin apstil i kung fu och måste träna upp en ung kille för att rädda sin syter.
November 20, 2007
Pow..pow!! You need this film in your collection!
November 13, 2007
More or less everything you could want in an oldschool kung fu classic. Lau Kar Leung and Hou Hsiao are pretty much the best master-student pairing ever, and the choreography during the last several fights is blindingly fast and intricate. Definitely holds a current spot in my top five Shaw Bros. films.
½ November 9, 2007
Lau Kar Leung directing in top form with Shaw regulars: a classic! It's heavier on the comedy than his more recent "Drunken Monkey" or work in the early parts of "Drunken Master 2". The Hung Gar variations on display may annoy some in the effort made to emulate a twitching monkey. Nonetheless, it really delivers in the end. I recommend seeing this widescreen, in Cantonese with decent subs.
October 17, 2007
4 stars for the 4-strike palm:):)