Mad Monster Party - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Monster Party Reviews

March 17, 2017
A nice classic to watch around Halloween time for the family.
March 7, 2016
My favorite Rankin/Bass movies ever!
October 25, 2015
Always a Halloween favorite since i was a kid!
October 10, 2014
45 years before Genndy Tartakovsky released his graveyard smash, "Hotel Transylvania," Rankin-Bass pioneered the monsters-meeting-in-one-locale-for-comic-fun genre. This groovy, musical, B-film assembled all the major monster antagonists popularized by the old Universal horrors of the 30s-50s. Their comic interplay is still fresh and original. (Dracula: "Francesca, you have always been my type. O-negative, isn't it?") The obvious inspiration for Tartakovsky, "Mad Monster Party" contains Rankin-Bass's signature gummy-armed puppetry, but the increased ridiculous humor, witty dialogue, and pop cultural gags makes this a departure for Arthur Rankin and Jules Bass' normal conservative holly-jolly Yuletide television specials.

Mad Monster Party has a very interesting voice cast; even though the list of monsters and ghouls was quite expansive, there are only four actors providing principle vocalizations. Boris Karloff loans the croons to his stop-motion alter ego, Professor Frankenstein, inventor and master of all monsters. Phyllis Diller plays, basically, a green version of herself, named The Monster's Mate. Gale Garnett voices Francesca, professor Frankenstein's masterpiece creation; I really wonder what kind of dirty thoughts were going through the old man's head during Francesca's creation, as she is the 1960s equivalent of Jessica Rabbit: red hair, Bond Girl face, and very, very prominent boobs. (Again, another huge departure for Rankin-Bass's team.) But the grand prize in voice-work goes to Allen Swift who must have lost his voice by the end of the recording session; Swift provides the speaking roles and noises to not only the nerdy main protagonist Felix Flankin, (putting on his best Jimmy Stewart imitation,) but every other character in the film including Yetch, Dracula, Werewolf, and even mafia Chef Machievelli!

The songs are catchy and bursting with the decade's free-spirit, particularly the love ballad "Never Was A Love like Mine" sung by Gale Garnett. Also notable is the hilarious "Mummy" rock song performed by four British skeletons in mod haircuts and guitars (hmmmmm...I wonder who they could have been in another life?) "Mad Monster Party" has been a Halloween classic for my family for years and I find it shameful that casual moviegoers haven't embraced it like other ghoul-themed spooktaculars like "Tim Burton's A Nightmare Before Christmas."

The only major drawback I had with this film was that several scenes seemed to be pointless "filler" in order to extend the movie's length time from mere television special to full-length feature; Arthur Rankin and Jules Bass' incredible track record of successful, 45-minute holiday specials include, (but is not limited to,) "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer," "Jack Frost," "The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus," and "Santa Claus is Comin' To Town." A scene trim here or there would have served this film well, particularly in early sequences; (did we really need to see every single monster coming on board the ship, or learn about all the monsters' sleeping habits in the castle?) But these fillers were not as horrendous as the studio's later bore "Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July," which took a 45-minute short and stretched it like taffy into a full-length movie. Overall, this film is a winner, a nice departure for the stop-motion studio, and I hope it will be rediscovered by future generations.
March 16, 2014
MMP is a clever and entertaining movie featuring stop-action puppet characters. It is humorous, maybe a little lightweight on the plot, and it is fun to hear the voices of Karloff, Diller, etc.attached to their characters. Older children would enjoy it and adults will find some of the inside jokes and references to 1960's American culture to be insightful and funny. Worth seeing once for it's quality animation and silliness.
December 6, 2013
For someone who's usually a fan of camp and the offbeat this one didn't do it for me. It's like the Rankin-Bass empire decided that after all of the syrupy holiday kitsch they just had to scratch some sort of self indulgent itch to rebel and create this possibly drug induced creation in need of some serious time editing. It would be painful to watch except that it's too uninteresting to pay attention to for any significant length of time. I wasn't one of those who grew up with it, maybe that's the problem? My daughter doesn't like it either after about 10 minutes so to each his own.
October 26, 2013
The best on this film is BORIS KARLOFF.
October 14, 2013
A Halloween classic!
October 9, 2013
One of my favorite movies of all time. Boris Karloff does an excellent job and Allen Swift KUDOS what a range! He plays almost every single character and YOU cant tell its him! UNDERRATED!
½ October 6, 2013
I'm not a big fan of the Rankin/Bass specials, per se, but I do appreciate all of the hard work that goes into making them. It's nice to see them tackle a holiday other than Christmas or Easter for a change, and with Mad Monster Party, they finally tackle Halloween. Now to be fair, this holiday special doesn't hold up very well and is dated in a variety of ways, but the charm of it is still there. It's one that seemed to drop off the radar in terms of it being shown on TV. I can't recall a single time that this was ever on, so it's great that we have things like DVD and Blu-rays to keep stuff like this from disappearing completely. I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially since it features pretty much all of the major monsters AND Boris Karloff, but it's not perfect around the edges. It doesn't matter much though because the simplicity of it makes it hold up.
August 18, 2013
I just would like to say that the art style was beautifully done. The clay animation is superb and attention to detail was made extremely well. The creatures look very well done with their little twists to move away from the Universal Monster look, but they still hold true to their creature look. The movie definitely has some atmosphere and the scenery is beautiful. However the art style alone is not enough to save this film. At times this movie just drags on and I found myself getting very bored with it. The tone seemed to be very low and would drastically jump from time to time such as the dinner scene when a lot of things were happening at once. Then it all just stopped and I was caught up in all the excitement. But overall it just wasn't enough to keep me entertained. I mean with a name like Mad Monster Party, you would expect to have a little more flare and wonderment. The whole plot is about a mad scientist who is trying to retire by inviting his nephew to take over the family business, expect he is a klutz and is accidental prone. This is just a weird movie but its got that cult feel to it. I have always wondered why not many Halloween specials existed, so seeing this was a treat, but if you would like to see this be warned its very slow but still a pretty decent Halloween movie.
½ June 28, 2013
The only theatrical feature from Rankin/Bass
May 2, 2013
Favorite Claymation EVER done by Rankin/Bass
½ April 24, 2013
One of Rankin/Bass's less known but equally fun films.
½ November 17, 2012
76%

Missed this Rankin & Bass production as a kid, I'm sure it would have had more of an impact, back then.
½ October 20, 2012
Rankin and Bass's only feature-length, theatrically released stop-motion film was this wacky and surprisingly edgy send-up of classic Hollywood horror (specifically the Universal canon), with typically delicious design and animation, a script full of alternately hilarious and hilariously groan-inducing puns and gags (it feels like a direct descendent of the Marx brothers in all the best ways), a couple of pretty awful songs, and, of course, Karloff's exquisite voice. Great, ghoulish Halloweeney fun.
October 19, 2012
Stop animation has come a long way.
September 9, 2012
its no nightmare before christmas but it does have some of the campy charm of the 60s xmas stop motions. a little slow at times though.
August 21, 2012
When this movie was developed there was little to none stop animation being done... this was ground breaking & it's charm lies in its era based humour & slapstick routines & the amazing cast of A Listers,who at the time lent their voices to the characters & this charming and approachable horror flick :)
May 15, 2012
Uma coisa que n√£o entendo √ (C) porque algumas produ√ß√Ķes simplesmente desaparecem das programa√ß√Ķes. Este √ (C) o caso do filme Mad Monster Party. Uma anima√ß√£o com um nost√°lgico sabor de Sess√£o da Tarde e bolinho de chuva da vov√≥ de uma distante √ (C)poca em que a televis√£o tinha apenas 7 canais. Coisas de quem j√° chegou aos "...enta".