Absinthe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Absinthe Reviews

May 8, 2014
I tried to watch this several times, but couldn't make it past the first ten minutes. The sound quality is bad, so it is difficult to understand what is being said without closed captioning (which was not available on TCM). The acting is extremely melodramatic, which makes the dialog even more difficult to understand in the sing-song mid-Atlantic accent that was expected of theatrical actors at the time. So - my rating is based on the first ten minutes, where I caught about 10% of the dialog and had no idea what was going on other than the fact that everyone seemed quite distraught. It made me put my hand to my forehead and audibly sigh with despair and overt facial expression.
½ April 10, 2014
Absinthe and hardship made her do it
February 21, 2014
Stiff and creaky original version of the much remade weeper. Chatterton is too theatrical in her role to buy in her later scenes of dissipation. Watch the more enjoyable Lana Turner version instead.
½ February 19, 2014
"Ruth Chatterton got Best Actress nomination and Lionel Barrymore a directing nod for the first talkie version of the old sentimental play about an all-suffering mother."
½ December 11, 2013
Ho boy. It's amazing that this story gets done and done and done over and over again. You would think that this not very subtle play of coincidence would get boring. This is the one that started it all. Such a shame.
May 12, 2010
Ruth Chatterton is wonderful and brilliant as always. The story and the co-actors are no good at all.
February 11, 2009
The very first movie that ever made me cry in front of someone while watching it. I was quite young, but still adept at not outwardly crying from films - this movie broke me.