Madame Curie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Madame Curie Reviews

jjnxn
½ November 23, 2009
Stiff, self important film of a brilliant woman. Greer is fine if a bit grand but the usually wonderful Pidgeon is wooden and declamatory.
½ August 29, 2009
For whatever reason, I love this movie, certainly more than most of the reviews I have read. Greer Garson is absolutely wonderful. The production values are top notch, excellent direction and inspiring screenplay. It's beautifully done.
½ June 20, 2009
I love this movie. The role seems so fitting for both Gree Garson and Walter Pidgeon. At times the movie comes off as ... sterile is perhaps the best word to describe it ... but in a strange way that works.
½ February 13, 2009
Every young girl should watch this movie. It's so inspiring! And there are all sorts of great lines about the nobility of SCIENCE.
December 31, 2008
Garson and Pidgeon work their usual dramatic magic here, but my favorite scene is the first time she comes to the laboratory.
July 3, 2008
want to see this because it was nominated for best picture at the oscars
April 30, 2008
perfect real couple!
½ March 20, 2008
I liked "Madame Curie" quite alot, actually. For a very old film picked by my CHEMISTRY teacher (two things working against it), it turned out to be a nice, romantic, smart, enthralling, and quite liberating surprise. I enjoyed its encouragement of women in scientific fields, and I enjoyed the general triumph through which our protagonists underwent. I thought it was surprisingly well-acted and extremely well-directed, and the fact that it was based on a true story was overwhelmingly satisfying. It's an empowering tale, and a well-made one at that, and I found myself enjoying the entire experience. My only complaint is the death of a specific character came a bit too quickly and randomly for it to be explored enough for the audience to feel response or emotion to it. If it had occured earlier in the film, or had more film AFTER it happened, perhaps the right chord would have been struck, or at least struck a bit harder. But overall, a great movie that pays tribute to an angel.
March 7, 2008
Decent film, focusing more on sweet romance than scientific discovery. Artificial and slightly cheesey, but no more than you'd expect from a 40's Hollywood biopic.
October 29, 2007
Surprisingly great. I thought it was going to be really boring, but it was a great film.
October 25, 2007
I liked what I saw, but missed the last part of it...
September 25, 2007
Another fantastic Garson/Pidgeon film. Very well done.
June 11, 2005
½ May 21, 2004
The movie [i]Madame Curie[/i] was based on the true story of Pierre and Marie Curie, the first to discover radium. From what I know of the story (which admittedly isn't much), the movie is very accurate in terms of what happened and how things happened. With all things, there is dramatization, but I found it to be less so in this film.

It's a beautiful film about amazing people that only gets stopped up by stilted dialogue and some bad acting, but in this case, all of this is made up for in the story and how the movie is pieced together. There's some great effects here--one that especially stuck out in my mind is the night that Pierre proposes to Marie--the camera is simply focusing on the staircase and the two doors in the Curie household, with light under Pierre's. You can see his shadow, pacing around.

They also made good with the soundtrack--it didn't stick out to me as cheesy or typical--it fit right into the background of the film. The film makers also used silence to their advantage, however. When Marie and Pierre's father are at the house, waiting for him to return for the ceremony that night, and Pierre's father is finding out about his death, they show Marie getting suspicious, and the silence is just uncomfortable.

Overall, this film was very enjoyable, and while I was watching, I couldn't help but think that Marie Curie is exactly the right kind of female role model for girls to have. (I also couldn't help thinking that it was fantastic that early Hollywood made a movie about this intelligent woman and actually focus on her science.)

[b]A-[/b]