Made - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Made Reviews

blkbomb
½ March 24, 2012
Ricky Slade: I'm a tall drink of water, I gotta stretch my shit out.

"Welcome to disorganized crime"

Made is the re-teaming of Swingers stars Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn. It's also the directorial debut from Favreau. Now, if you liked Swingers, and odds are you do, then more than likely you will enjoy Made too. It looks, feels, and sounds a lot like Swingers. What wins you over is the same thing that did the first time around and that would be the chemistry between Favreau and Vaughn. They're great on screen together.

Made follows two friends as they are sent on a job by a small crime boss. They aren't given many details as to what they are going to do on this job. Vaughn again plays the partying womanizer, while Favreau again plays the less obnoxious friend. Along the way, Vaughn's character gets the two into a little trouble, with his loud mouth and his need for attention. I may like the storyline for this one better than Swingers, but I don't like the movie as a whole, more than Swingers.

There's a lot to like from this film. It has extremely funny dialogue and situations. Favreau and Vaughn are funny together, and there is a good role from P Diddy. Overall it's just a really fun movie, which is exactly what you would expect. It may not be one of the best crime comedies out there, but it is better than average.
August 7, 2009
Probably the funniest movie i've seen at this point of my existence. probably the funniest movie you will see this week if you pull your head from your ass and give it the same fair chance you gave to I Am Number Four. Vince Vaughn looks cool in any suit. he makes the word "fuck" sound like poetry to my ears. Jon Favrauaeuraue needs to stop dicking around with directing action movies and comic book bullshit and write another script. Faizon love has comedic timing because he is a a real actor and not another fat, bald, black man picked from a club in L.A. to be in films. i would be honored if Peter Falk asked me to shave his wrinkled balls for two bucks at a Republican rally because he is a real actor in a sea of imposters. jesus man, even P. Diddy has a few funny moments. and the little girl never laughs at Vince Vaughn and neither does anyone else which means... what? That this movie knows his character is a prick and does not know he is funny which creates tension and then sympathy for the other characters which is why a man falling on something and getting his balls hurt and going, "mother-- ooohoooo!" has not made me laugh in quite a while.
½ November 26, 2009
Made has some of the best dialogue. It is extremely well written and a great effort from John Favreau. It is even more well put together than Swingers, having a more polished feel to it. Vince Vaughn and John Favreau's banter really made this a memorable movie.
½ May 31, 2006
Ricky Slade: Here's what I'm gonna ask of you... We're going to be spending the night in New York, so it worked out well for all of us. I want you to take it back to the business class, I want you to round up a couple of honeys... At our hotel room we're gonna have kind of a pool party. A California gangster-style, you know what I mean? Kick ass pool party thing.

The team from Swingers return with a mob comedy. Two guys are working odd jobs for a mobster, including boxing and body guarding, and are eventually sent to from LA to New York to help out on a deal.

Ricky Slade: Did you just let the SCREECH in the fucking club?

The movie is mainly about hilarious rants that Vince Vaughn gets into, between this movie and Swingers Vaughn is at his best. Besides Vaughn, everyone else is also good. Peter "Columbo" Falk is hilarious as the west coast mob boss, while P Diddy is also surprisingly very funny as the east coast mobster, when dealing with Vaughn.

Ricky Slade: We need guns.
Bobby: We don't need guns.
Ricky Slade: I'm telling you man, I'm pretty sure we need guns.
Bobby: I listened to them and they specifically said we don't need guns.
Ricky Slade: That's all the more reason why you do need a gun.
Bobby: You couldn't even get a gun.
Ricky Slade: You wanna bet, you wanna bet me if I could get a gun?
Bobby: You couldn't get a handjob from the bridge and tunnel posse.

Jon Favreau makes good work of writing, directing, and starring along with Vaughn and playing it as the straight man, who like the rest of us, just need Vince to shut up for a second.

The plot is fine, works well enough as basically the breaks between the bantering between Vaughn and Favreau, as is the soundtrack which fits well with the club scene that these guys inhabit for a lot of the movie.

This is a very funny follow up to go along with Swingers.

Ricky Slade: You must be the 'Red Dragon'!
November 3, 2007
Vince Vaughn at his annoying best.
½ November 20, 2006
The interplay between Favreau and Vaughn is hilarious. Picture Swingers getting caught by The Sopranos.
KevinTheMovieManiac
October 26, 2008
Very funny, I loved Sam Rockwell's character, that scene where Vince Vaughn throws the drink in his face cracks me up everytime.
Dracula787
½ January 9, 2008
Made, is the film that reunited Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn, and is often seen as the spiritual successor of their 1996 cult film Swingers. Favreau again writes the screenplay, but this time he directs as well.
The film centers around a pair of bumbling construction workers who decide to run an errand for their local mob boss to make ends meet. The two are sent on a mission to make a ?drop? in New York.
That?s an extremely simple plot, and one should never take this seriously as a mafia film. There is no real drama or tension in the crime elements in this story, nor does there need to be. This is a fairly pointless movie, and there?s nothing wrong than that, Swingers was also pointless. These films are meant less as a narrative works than as delivery methods for the entertaining banter between Favreau and Vaughn. While this can work, it places a lot of pressure on a single element of the film, and if that element doesn?t completely deliver, the movie is in pretty big trouble.
Luckily, this entertaining banter does eventually deliver, but only after a very boring first act that wastes a full half hour of a ninety minute film on unneeded exposition. However, the film really does pick up as soon as the duo get their mission and head for New York. I enjoyed the second and third acts to some degree, but they are hardly transcendent. Vaughn is at his best here, but Favreau doesn?t adequately support him as an actor. Favreau has the vital role of the straight man here, his reactions to Vaughn?s antics are supposed to be providing the real laughs here, but he doesn?t really deliver. The comic timing of the film?s editing are just not quite on here, had the editing been more on track I suspect there would be twice as many laughs here as there are.
This is not a great film but it did pass the time, I can?t quite recommend it, but it has its moments and there are worse ways to kill an evening.
½ June 22, 2014
I don't understand WHY this is considered a "comedy"... To me, it was an irritating, tedious and grating film, thanks in no small part - oh, let's just admit, thanks in LARGE part - to Vince Vaughn's FULL RETARD performance. I was praying for his character to get whacked in the first 5 minutes of the film. I always enjoy Jon Favreau, because he has control. Vaughn, on the other hand, , just goes off the deep end with obnoxious ad-libs until he sucks any HINT of comedy out of a movie. This was more like ANTI-HUMOR.
April 28, 2014
Good enough Jon Favreau/Vince Vaughn basic comedy.

The two worked well together on the screen doing this basic thing - like they did with Swingers. It surely didn't deserve an Academy Award, but I liked watching it...
½ January 19, 2014
1/19/2014: A very good cast and a fun interesting story, but not a great movie. Vaughn's character was a little too over the top obnoxious, which hurt the movie.
½ June 4, 2012
jon and vince work well together but vince vaughn puts this movie over the top for me...he makes me laugh n thats all i need
July 18, 2009
This was obnoxious and I wanted to punch Vaughn's character just like Favreau did throughout the film! It was entertaining and the supporting cast was good. You come to respect Favreau's character Bobby and his drive to want to better his life, especially at the end with the little girl which is by far the best scene in the movie. I didn't love this one and the story is forgettable, but a job well done in Favreau's directing debut.
March 21, 2012
Pretty funny dynamic betwen Favreau and Vaughn. The mob jokes are funny, but it's nothing that hasn't already been done before.
½ January 19, 2012
it's a quirky little movie but I think what made this really watchable was Jon Favreau. he's just so fun to watch and i love how he can display his emotions with just a look on his face. Vince Vaughn had some majorly annoying moments, but some of it was entertaining nonetheless.
½ December 17, 2011
Vince Vaughn is outstanding. Everything he does is wrong and he's painfully annoying. But he isn't a mean spirited person, he's actually trying to help. And the way Vaughn manages to barely miss the mark is fantastic. Plus it's amusing seeing 2 guys who grew up on Mean Streets, Godfather and Goodfellas thinking they're characters from those movies.
½ April 2, 2011
I love reading reviews of people who don't get this movie.

To quote another RT Critic:
"The plot seems to be nothing more than a translucent bridge to the next scene where Vaughn can run his mouth and Favreau can play off him as the longsuffering friend"

Translation:
Yes: the plot does seems to be a vehicle for Vince Vaughn to be over the top, dumb, and hilarious with John Favreau playing the straight man.

He literally wrote out a working formula for a lot of great comedies, and then cited this formula as THE reason for not enjoying this comedy.
The icing on the cake is that this particular reviewer gave the Transporter 2... four stars.
March 10, 2011
Well-written and well-acted. Jon Favreau does a spectacular job of writing and directing this film, but, honestly, Vince Vaughn steals the show with his hilarious acting. The balance between Jon Favreau's character and Vince Vaughn is what makes the entire film worth watching. "Made" is a genuinely comical and entertaining film with a superb cast, From Peter Falk to Vincent Pastore to Famke Janssen, to the small cameos from Jennifer Esposito, and Sam Rockwell.
September 3, 2010
"Dark & funny enough thanks to great performances Vince Vaughn & Jon Favreau but not better than Swingers."