Made in Dagenham - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Made in Dagenham Reviews

½ February 1, 2014
Nice film about equal rights and female comradery.
½ February 1, 2014
Really good take on a fabulous true story.
December 22, 2013
A didactic drama that falls away at the sides.

21/12/2013
FiLmCrAzY
½ December 22, 2013
An inspirational story for women's rights and good on them, however this movie is just boring. Bob Hoskins is brilliant and the cast is brilliant but not my sort of movie!
½ December 5, 2013
In spite of being an interesting story and having good cast and performances, it is not as thrilling as it could have been.
October 21, 2013
Fun and smart movie. Worth it for a few great scenes- the scene where Sally Hawkins tells off her husband for acting as though caring for the family rather than abusing them makes him special, is a great scene. It's about a fight for equal pay and equal rights that is still going on
September 12, 2013
Excellent Film These are the films the UK is very good at.
September 4, 2013
Sally Hawkins is brilliant ! Would have liked to see more of Rosamund
Pike, to see her get involved in the strike. Sometimes the movie was moving too slow but overall it is pretty good.
August 21, 2013
Made in Dagenham is a gem of a film, thought-provoking, entertaining and emotional. It tells the true story of the 187 women working as machinists for Ford Dagenham plant who's fight for better pay and conditions played a key part in the battle for equal pay nationally and internationally. A sparkling performance from Sally Hawkins as Rita the leader of the group is complemented by excellent performances from the whole cast including Bob Hoskins, Geraldine James and Jaime Winstone. Aside from the serious issues the film also provides a wonderful wallow in nostalgia for the late sixties. I highly recommend this film.
July 9, 2013
From the maker of Calendar Girls, this is a real feel-good woman's drama. I really enjoyed it, and loved Sally Hawkins, who I thought was also great in Happy-Go Lucky. I appreciated the real-life clips of the actual strike in the 1960s, on which this film is based. And I was captivated by Rita's powerful speeches about equal pay for women. I was also especially impressed with Miranda Richardson's portrayal of the Labour politician Barbara Castle.
May 9, 2013
Great story very well told. Excellent performances.
April 5, 2013
A worthy British feelgood ensemble piece, with lots of period detail both physical and social. It tells a great story well, but somehow it didn't really grab me. I hope that isn't because I'm an unreconstructed male chauvinist - I#d rather believe it's a bit too worthy and formulaic.
½ April 1, 2013
Brilliant feel-good film about a group of female workers at Ford Dagenham fighting for their rights for equal pay.
½ March 24, 2013
Sally Hawkins along with a stellar ensemble British cast are superb in this important, inspiring and feel good dramatisation about a group of factory workers who banded together and brought about equal pay for women. A well written and made film with authentic attention to 60s period detail.
March 21, 2013
Cope? How will we cope? We're women. Now, don't ask such stupid questions.
½ March 18, 2013
An inspiring an uplifting look at a neglected piece of history, the movement to ensure women's equal pay! Never preaching, rather full of heart and a humanist look at the spark that lit the fire that spread world wide to mark a water shed moment in the long journey of women's struggle for dignity and enforcing their right in the workplace.
½ March 17, 2013
I had an impression this was going to be a Ray Winstone, Danny Dyer vehicle based in Essex. Let's just say it's not LOL. It's a very well thought out true life story, which are always the best. I wasn't born when the movie was set so was an interesting insight to how workers were portrayed back then.
½ March 15, 2013
The latest in the line of feelgood British working class/labour history movies ... following the lead set by Brassed Off, The Full Monty, Billy Elliot et al. Now it's time for the feminist parable.

Thoroughly enjoyable with a good ensemble cast, as the nasty men get their rightful comeuppance, including the ones in the union. though Toby Ziegler turning up as a nasty man gave us a bit of a turn.
March 14, 2013
It's an old cliché, but it still holds true; you can't beat a good story well told. Made in Dagenham takes us back into this little pocket of the world, brings the place to life, makes us invest in the characters (through a series of excellent performances from both the lead and supporting cast), and brings to light a story I, for one, had no knowledge about in a way that was both very powerful and deeply moving. It manages to handle a series of plot points without ever becoming overstretched, and I defy anybody not to end the film smiling, with a real sense of pride in what they had achieved. There are a few points in the film, however, where you could see it on the verge of tipping over into over into over-sentimentality or maybe making it a bit too simplistic and easy (the most blatant of these was when a Union delegate stands up and asks to hear what the ladies have to say...cue speech), but the tone of the film, and the amount of real emotion it displays (and you have invested within it) mean that on every twist and turn you are still totally with it, and that is a real credit to those in front of, and behind, the camera. Overall then, this is a little gem of a movie, that should serve as inspiration to all who see it, as well as a thoroughly entertaining watch.
March 13, 2013
An entertaining, but curiously, slightly frustratingly middle class image of working class struggle.