Madhouse Reviews

• Apr 28, 2018

what can be done when your sister is insane and out to get you on your birthday? but your real problem turns out to be that your uncle, who you thought to be a nice guy, is even more insane

• Jun 18, 2017

Cool little chiller. There's some pretty charming characters, and an interesting (if somewhat incoherent) storyline. The ending was not what I was expecting.

• Apr 28, 2015

I really enjoyed this slasher type movie. Pretty decent story although some very sad scenes...namely the little deaf boy that gets killed by the dog. While the evil twin sister's motives and goals are pretty well defined, the true protagonist is left unexplained. We know who the person is, but not why certain actions are performed. Very well acted overall, and very moody.

• Oct 27, 2012

Banned in the UK way back but seemed relatively tame after I just watched Saw. A disturbed priest throws a 25th birthday party with corpses as guests for a woman and her twin sister who suffers from a disfiguring virus and holds childhood grudges.

• Jun 08, 2012

Not as bad as some entries on the DPP list it has to be said, but I found it quite monotonous and boring. Nothing remotely horrific about it.

• Nov 03, 2011

This movie has so many titles. I have a VHS copy and its title is "Madhouse". It was not all that great. It's a thriller, or at least tries to be one. It had one too many twists for its own good. It wants to be something, but there are just too many holes.

• Aug 27, 2011

While Madhouse is by no means an original slasher film, it is a highly entertaining and bizarro entry in the genre from its very early days. While the film gives away the killer's identity fairly quickly, it still manages to sculpt a truly psychotic and surrealistic thrill-ride that will delight fans of "Golden Age" slashers.

• Mar 10, 2011

A surprise birthday party by a caring uncle is marred by presence of several dead guests and a resentful deformed twin sister. I thought Trish Everly was pretty good in the lead, but never worked in film again. An original video nasty, I saw the edited Virgin video version.

• Sep 22, 2010

This is one of the more sophisticated video nasties - it makes all the rest seem very trashy. The acting is decent (especially the Priest), the story solid and the horror quite terrifying. In fact, the film is extremely creepy. There are one or two images that would most definitely have traumatized me as a child. Siblings be warned: you may not look at your sister quite the same way again. There's also one helluva nasty dog. Why was it banned? Perhaps it was the power drill jammed into the dog's skull. Or else the little girl smashing a rock repeatedly into her sister's face. Enough said.

• Sep 22, 2010