Madhouse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Madhouse Reviews

½ December 8, 2017
Madhouse is a disappointing film. It is about a horror movie star who returns to his famous role after years in a mental institution. Vincent Price and Peter Cushing give terrible performance. The screenplay is badly written. Jim Clark did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ January 9, 2016
Vincent Price gives a wonderful, chilling homage to himself and his fellow stars in this exceptional thriller, with co-star Peter Cushing also at his finest.
½ October 23, 2015
It has its fun moments. Whenever Vincent Price and Peter Cushing are sharing the screen together the movie really jumps up in enjoyment. However, Cushing is kind of limited in the middle portion of the movie, and while Vincent Price is great as always, the movie plays more like a dedication to Price than its own stand alone movie. It's hard to explain, but basically the use of footage of other great Vincent Price movies makes this feel like a "best of" kind of movie that detracts from what you're watching. It only makes you want to see those other, better movies. As I said though, this movie is not a complete waste. Vincent Price is always great, and the ending with him and Cushing is wonderful. The spider lady is also creepy and I enjoyed her inane dialogue. Seeing small spiders crawl on her arm... shivers. Anyway, I can't really recommend this movie unless you've already seen the Vincent Price classics and you want some more.
October 17, 2015
And here we are again with another Vincent Price classic. I call it as such because the film is slightly autobigoraphical in nature, but disguised as a horror film (or even a giallo, if you ask me). Madhouse doesn't necessarily take place in its namesake, but it's more about Hollywood, the pressures of performing and the murder that tags along with all of that, so actually the title is somewhat appropriate. It's been highly publicized that this film is looked down on because it features both Vincent Price and Peter Cushing in lead roles, but they have hardly any screen time together. To me it's one of the film's strengths. If it had been that way, then it would have been a very different film altogether, and the focus as an audience would be strictly on that (as it was anyway, I guess). I like that the film focuses on its story and not the politics involved in the making of it. The story itself is quite good, save for a couple of cheesy moments, but it has an underlying theme of actors under pressure, which is something that I'm sure Vincent Price and Peter Cushing could relate to quite well. I found it to be smart and fun, and certainly different from other work from both Vincent Price and Peter Cushing, and that alone is worth the time to see it. Be sure to watch out for the use of footage from earlier Vincent Price films featuring Boris Karloff and Basil Rathbone.
August 21, 2015
This was an interesting one. It was also nice to see Cushing and Price in something together.
April 7, 2015
Not a shred of originality or wit but c'mon who doesn't love Vincent Price?
March 28, 2015
I can appreciate the atmosphere and musical score to this eerie partnership of legendary horror icons Vincent Price and Peter Cushing. The story is fairly good and watchable, but often slow and predictable. It's still worth a viewing if only once.
November 7, 2014
Rather fun horror starring Vincent Price and Peter Cushing. Some really great performances here by the main cast. Price is simply amazing.

There is nothing terribly original here other than Price's washed up and sad character.

Strange ending.
½ October 20, 2014
Vincent Price is terrific. The film(making)? Not so much. Skip it.
October 6, 2014
God this movie was bad. Possibly one of his worse ever. I don't think it was trying to be good. Besides the typical awesome Vincent Price monologue and the Okay climax, the rest of the movie was really bad...had poor production quality and was in general mediocre. The occasional hot '70s chics were nice eye candy for an otherwise snoozefest.
½ October 3, 2014
Entertaining Samuel Z. Arkoff production about horror movie actor, Vincent Price, becoming the suspect in a series of murders recreating grizzly murders from films he's appeared in. It's a fun premiss and provided an opportunity to show clips from some of Price's most memorable films and then put a new twist on some of them. And besides price, you also get horror icon Peter Cushing.Jim Clark directed the film with style and flair, so when I looked him up on IMDB, I was surprised to see that he was a longtime Hollywood editor who'd worked on a number of classic films, serving as the editor on everything from "Charade" to "The Killing Fields." I was disappointed to see that he wasn't given the opportunity to direct more, because this film really seemed like a quality pieces of work.
May 15, 2014
felt a lot like Scream 3, I really enjoyed Price in this one, although the suspect list wasn't great, because we get a feel for who the killer is very early on in the movie. the side shows in the movie though are great and the ending leaves one scratching their head (in a good and bad way)
½ February 15, 2014
Vincent Price plays a washed-up B-movie star who may have a problem getting out of character when his celebrated alter ego, Doctor Death, apparently commits a string of murders influenced by his own back catalogue. An enjoyable, undemanding though silly horror film whose appeal chiefly rests in the all-too-rare opportunity to see Price acting opposite Peter Cushing, rarer still as the latter has a habit here of disappearing for long stretches at a time, so much so that one can only assume that he was only available to the production for a couple of days. With a cast that includes not only Cushing but also Adrienne Corri and Linda Hayden, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Hammer had a hand in the film, but it's actually a co-production of American International Pictures and Amicus, Hammer's American equivalent and its main British rival at the time. There's a lot of recycling of AIP highlights from the Sixties, allowing for second-hand screen credits for Karloff and Rathbone, so it's perhaps not surprising that an excellent editor, Jim Clark, was chosen to direct. As far as I'm aware, this was Clark's last outing as a director, after which he returned to editing. His impressive credits in that capacity include The Innocents, Charade, Marathon Man, The Killing Fields, The Mission and Vera Drake.
February 13, 2014
Self Parody in a brilliant spoof. Best part: Vincent Price playing an a**hole with depth and subtlety.
November 1, 2013
I love Vincent Price
August 31, 2013
Nothing special in the grand scheme of things, but it's always a treat to see Vincent Price and Peter Cushing, not to mention cameos from Boris Karloff and Basil Rathbone.
June 9, 2013
½ May 9, 2013
77%

"As they say in horror movies, 'you will come to a bad end'."-Pual Toombes (Vincent Price)

If the whole film had been like the last ten minutes of it, I would have giving it a 100%. Rob Zombie had clearly been influenced by this flick and it shows in HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES (Baby's make-up, song and dance). Plus it was cool to see Count Yorga at the bar and Cushing dressed as Dracula.
April 23, 2013
Surprisingly boring.
March 10, 2013
Peter Cushing and Vincent Price in the same movie. Priceless! It may just be a corny old horror film, but it is enjoyable nonetheless.