Madison County - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Madison County Reviews

September 19, 2016
I'm always on the lookout for the Slasher of the New Age. Don't get me wrong, I love Jason Voorhees and his ilk, but I'm keen to give others a chance to try and join those ranks with an original character. Unfortunately it never quite seems to work out. Madison County's Damion Yule doesn't buck that trend.

There's some decent individual moments, and I appreciate that the movie took its time to develop, but the quality was too low and the story too unexplored to merit a recommendation.
March 27, 2015
It takes quite a while to get to the horror aspect of this film, but the eerie build-up and character development is easily watchable due to both being done so well. The performances were so incredible that the characters felt like real people I personally know which made the terror all the more tense when bad things do finally start happening. The death scenes were realistic and bloody and with a few minor tweaks to the story, this could've been a far superior version of the new Texas Chainsaw sequel reboot instead of the weak shot we got for 2013.
½ June 28, 2014
Generic, with painfully stupid victims.
January 20, 2014
the most boring horror film i have ever seen!
November 23, 2013
Really slow moving, didn't care for the characters and had an anticlimactic ending. I love my horror and this one just didn't 'cut' it.
November 2, 2013
It took a whole hour to get somewhere in the movie. Once the killing starts it continues, this is the last 45 mins of the movie. My god, did I find this movie one of the most boring films ever. I feel like someone made it over a weekend as a school project. It is very predictable from start to finish
September 27, 2013
One sentence summary: Avoid big ratty looking men with pig masks.
------------

Opening sequence: young woman wakes up in the back of a pickup, wearing just bra and panties. She jumps out and runs. The man driving the truck stops, runs after her with a shovel. He knocks her out, carries her back, throws her into the back seat. A local looks on, says nothing, seems unperturbed by it.
Three young men (Will, James, Kyle) and two young women (Jenna, Brooke) go for a trip to the sticks to interview an author of a book about a serial killer in Madison County. The author has no phone or computer; hence letters and the current interview.
About 24 minutes in, the group reaches Madison County and stops for lunch. They ask about the book, Devil in the Woods, the book's author David Randall, and the main character in the book, Damian Ewell. They eventually get the author's address and go there.
They find a nice house on private property, but no one answers the door.
Kyle does some more digging for information, while the other four hang out at the address they were given. Kyle looks over a cemetery (looking for headstones), then areas nearby. He sees two girls topless in a stream, and tries to start a conversation. The villain comes up behind him, the girls see him, Kyle turns, and gets stabbed to death. The girls do not react at all even though there is a freshly dead human body in the stream with them. This is like the opening sequence: the lack of affect at outrageous events.
The foursome explore near the house. Will and Brooke get separated from James and Jenna. Further James and Jenna get separated. Clever. Will buys his real estate while relieving himself. Brooke sees the body of her boyfriend and runs.
Jenna and Brooke find each other. James talks to Erma at the diner again. Erma lets him know his time on earth is limited. The killer goes after the young women first. Jenna runs decoy for Brooke, who neither runs away nor helps her friend. The killer does Jenna in with an axe.
James is captured along with a father (David Randall, from an earlier scene) and daughter (the young woman from the first sequence). James and the daughter escape, but the David does not. Brooke makes it back to the diner, which is now deserted. Erma claims she has not seen any of Brooke's friends, then offers to drive Brooke to a doctor. Then Erma (Damian's mother) knifes her to death.

-----Scores-----

Cinematography: 8/10 Jumpy camera work for perhaps four minutes, but usually quite good.

Sound: 6/10 High differences in sound levels. Poor choices of incidental music. Accents? Actors sound like Los Angeles television most of the time. Conversational sound levels were consistently clear.

Acting: 6/10 I've seen much worse.

Screenplay: 5/10 This was pretty thin. Perhaps the kids might have set a date and a time and a place to meet the author first? That's too much to ask, I guess. The lack of affect by the locals could have used better exposition. Of course, this helps the "by the time you figure it out, it's too late" feeling of helplessness.
½ July 20, 2013
How was this even allowed to be made..
½ July 12, 2013
Piss poor, no-budget "horror". As a genre enthusiast I tolerate a lot of badness...but this movie just feels like a college film class project
June 9, 2013
½ June 2, 2013
Watch it. It's pretty much Texas Chainsaw Massacre with a different mask. Not bad, but not very creative. At least the actors can actually act, which is more than I can say for a lot of films.
March 19, 2013
Absolutely Boring and made no sense!!! 10 Thumbs down!!
March 8, 2013
looks just a take on the texas chainsaw massacre franchise..... could've been really good if it was made better. could probably make a franchise out of Daniel. not bad....
½ March 6, 2013
Generic slasher script. This movie actually gets worse and worse the further you get into it.
February 14, 2013
½ February 13, 2013
Ooh. A killer with a pig mask...edgy. Everything is here. Friends go up into the woods, the guy really likes the girl, people get killed with knives and axes, etc. Nothing is really special or sticks out from the usual serial killer movies. But for what it is, it's not entirely droll and boring.
January 31, 2013
James and his friends set out to interview an author who claims that the people of Madison County have been hiding a serial killer in their midst, but unfortunately for them, it's true! Director Eric England has unwittingly unlocked the secret to destroying suspense in his new film MADISON COUNTY. Moody atmosphere and creeping terror need not apply in this boring, generic Slasher. Instead, the kills are committed by a villain who literally walks up and stabs his victims in broad daylight, a villain who doesn't even give the audience the slightest bit of satisfaction by ripping off a few heads or tearing out his victims' throats. MADISON COUNTY is completely uninventive in every way, and England makes no attempt to hide the numerous genre influences that helped to shape the film. Horror fans will easily pick out the direct visual and audio references to THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, MOTEL HELL, THE DEVIL'S REJECTS, and many more. As if things were not bad enough, MADISON COUNTY is nauseating to watch thanks to the constantly-shaking camera. Not even the mediocre acting from the cookie cutter characters can save the film from falling into the sea of forgettable Slashers.
½ January 30, 2013
Bad script,Bad plot,Bad cast,BAD MOVIE!!
January 20, 2013
Dumb, dumb, dumb. All I can say. Horrible acting. Horrible storyline. It felt like a cheap Texas Chainsaw wannabe movie.
½ January 4, 2013
Now this really is crap, stylishly shot yes but it took all my patience to even sit through this one.