The Madness of King George Reviews

• Mar 04, 2019

Nobody does costume period drama like the Brits, and this film has their brand of witty satire along with wonderful performances by the stars and the myriad character actors.

• Dec 09, 2017

Movie, dark comedy, "The Madness of King Georgia"; my god this movie was great! I loved it. It satirizes the pointless pomp and protocol of the royalty, disrupting the functioning of government when the king shows signs of being ill, but has very touching moments of poignancy when in his most lucid moments, the mad king seems the only one in his right mind in a mad world. One of my new top 10 comedies along with other dark comedies like A Fish Called Wanda, Death to Smoochie, Female Trouble, War of the Roses, and Fargo.

• Sep 19, 2017

Rewatched after many years. I'd remembered the great performances all round but forgotten the political intrigue that surrounds the personal stories. Interesting.

• Jul 07, 2017

This 1994 film is based on a stage play of the same name. It is year 1788 when King George III goes mad, his lieutenants try to adjust the rules to run the country without his participation and make his son Regent of the Kingdom, while a renowned doctor is responsible for improving his condition, a disease known as Porphyria. Winner of one Academy Award for Art Direction and nominated for other three, it proves to be one of the best films that depict the Georgian era , with a great comedic tone.

• Mar 09, 2017

A carefully made and immersive period piece. More stimulating than the history lesson provided are its climatic allusions to King Lear and subsequent refutation of Shakespeare's tragic denouement. It stands against the tragedy, though it's worth asking to what end. Like the formal but flat communication of the royals and their attendants, I fear the script shows but does not sufficiently explore the relationships between the King and his doctors, his son, and/or his wife. A fair bit of critical focus seems to be on the conflict/relationship between the King and Willis, though I struggle to see this as the central or best conflict given its rather shallow exploration and relatively late introduction. So I suspect there is some madness in what the film seems, but what the film is is a work with much going for it, including commendable acting and design. 3/9/17

• Nov 15, 2016

Rather good but probably needs watching more than once to be appreciated better.

• Sep 23, 2016

Well made depiction of an ultimately sad story.

Well made depiction of an ultimately sad story.

• May 25, 2016

Una historia real de locura e intrigas con un ligero toque de comedia. A destacar la recreacion de epoca y las actuaciones.

• Apr 02, 2016

Dear reader: Are you by any chance a fan of the sensational hip-hop musical Hamilton or its soundtrack? Did you perhaps smile at the crazy cackling of Hamilton's clueless King George? Then I humbly suggest that you watch The Madness of King George. In addition to laughing your ass off, you'll get that joke about Americans being blue and making him mad... Your loyal servant, son of another Caribbean migrant, Tony Diaz

• Dec 20, 2015