The Madwoman of Chaillot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Madwoman of Chaillot Reviews

½ January 24, 2016
If you need to clean out a sewer you need to get your hands dirty.

Countess Aurelia is rich and has a loyal following. She resides in Paris and is disturbed by the corrupt and evil behavior that plagues her people. She stands up against evil in her own way using her power, money, and influence. Will she be able to bring down the corrupt and evil men that plague her country or will she be seen as senile by her own people?

"Say it before the song ends."

Bryan Forbes, director of Better Late than Never, King Rat, The Wrong Box, The Naked Face, The Stepford Wives (1975), The L-Shaped Room, and Sťance on a Wet Afternoon, delivers The Manwoman of Chaillot. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and has some worthwhile characters and interactions. The acting is awesome and the cast includes Katherine Hepburn, Yul Brynner, Donald Pleasence, John Gavin, Edith Evans, and Paul Henreid.

"When you let someone go you never see them again."

I came across this on cable and had to DVR it since it starred Katherine Hepburn (I'm a fan of hers). This was a great character for Hepburn to play (especially at her age in this movie, she delivered this character perfectly). Overall, this isn't a classic masterpiece, but it is worth seeing once.

"I can assure you God is not a woman."

Grade: B-
August 10, 2013
Quite the cheesy buildup to get to the point of the all systems of government, religion and economy, that being greed. The talented cast puts the rulers on trial, finding them guilty of taking advantage of and choking the world. She then carries out the judgment. Danny Kaye surprised with his defense of the greedy. "the world is run by pimps! Not even a cabbage can't be sold without a pimp." (paraphrase)
August 18, 2012
The trick is to listen to it like radio. An utter failure as cinema, but indeed lots of stars.
August 2, 2010
This is a brilliant poetic masterpiece that too few people have ever really come to appreciate. It says A WHOLE LOT about what has (mostly) destroyed human innocence, liberty and love.

The acting, - particularly Hepburn and Danny Kaye IS BRILLIANT and deeply felt. true, much of the acting is "over the top" ... but it is clearly MEANT to be so.

any human being could benefit greatly by watching this amazing film carefully and with the heart.
June 21, 2008
Unreal, weird and extravagant are the words perfectly fitting for this average Katharine Hepburn film. The most memorable Yul Brynner had the best role and did the best acting as well. I honestlly don't recall the film's plot nor do I remember anyone else except my favourite scene was at an outdoor cafe.
½ March 30, 2008
Katharine faced with environmental issues in the 60's? forget about it. This movie is quirky, bizarre, and delightful.
August 19, 2007
Classic KHepburn. Entertaining enuff, but gets a bit tedious.