Mafioso - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mafioso Reviews

½ October 10, 2016
This film starts well and has a lot of potential, but doesn't do much with it. By the time the story starts getting really interesting, it's over. Not bad, but a little far-fetched (Your family wouldn't notice that you were gone long enough to travel from Sicily to New York and back when you were just supposed to be hunting? Did I miss something?) and then fizzles at the end.

I will give it credit for doing a great job with building the dread and suspense leading up to the climax.
½ September 10, 2016
Definitely has its humorous moments. I recommend it.
July 9, 2016
Francis ford Coppola had to watch this film before he started his career, probably Martin Scosese too.
January 6, 2016
The great thing about Italian cinema is it often paints an honest picture of Italy and not the romantic bourgeoisie image seen in Hollywood movies and pizza adverts. Mafioso is no exception although it is a film more about Sicily than Italy. If you weren't aware of the difference this film will explain it to you. Mafioso cleverly combines humour with the typically dark elements of the crime genre. But don't expect any clichťs about the mafia, Sicily and godfathers here. Although you will see the hallmarks of family and food the film explores the themes of responsibility. The responsibility we have to our masters and to our family. And just when you think you know and understand the world of this film it enters a very different but all too familiar world, as if seeing it ourselves for the very first time.
½ July 25, 2014
Gently suspenseful throughout, with some amusing dialogue when the family arrive in Sicily from Milan. Never boring, but behind all the hospitality and frivolous compliments, the underlying story is not a pleasant nor enjoyable one. I found the surprise ending a little underwhelming too. 7.5/10
½ February 26, 2014
I personally found the screenplay jerky, awkward, cacophonous, but interest is held, and the heartfelt ending is worth the wait.
½ May 1, 2013
Exceptional for its restraint and simplicity--Grazie, Alberto!!
½ January 27, 2013
The film ripens in an unanticipated way, nimbly shifting from near farce to something quite a bit darker.
flixsterman
January 14, 2012
Antonio Badalamenti; factory supervisor, loving husband, devoted father, reluctant hit-man.
September 5, 2011
Very well done story of a Milan factory man who takes his attractive wife and children to meet his family in Sicily. There he finds the favour of a local mafia man, Don Vincenzo and his life will be forever altered. A truly entertaining film that has a very realistic feel to it. Sordi in the lead exemplifies the man who wishes to impress his family and crosses the line of being loved and being used.
½ April 22, 2011
Avoid the spoiler plot summary.
½ March 10, 2011
Mafioso (1962)

This is sort of a dark comedy produced by Dino De Laurentis and directed by Alberto Lattuada. That is slowly being re-released here in the States.

Antonio "Nino" Badalamenti (Alberto Sordi, the Italian Peter Sellers) works in a Milan steel fabricating plant, stamping out Fiats and scooters, and is happily married to his northern Italian wife, Marta (Norma Bengell) and they have two precocious blonde daughters.

Nino is a conscientious worker and takes his bonus in vacation time and takes the family back to his hometown of Catanao in Sicily and meet his family. One of the executives asks him to deliver a present to one of the local Dons, Don Vincenzo (Ugo Attanaslo) and Nino is happy to do so.

The movie sort of pokes fun of Sicilians and the "Old World" stereotypes, but at the same time Nino enjoys his return and is highly respectful of the old ways and the people. Nino was just a messenger boy for the Mafia, but the Dons remember him as being an excellent shot and have some plans for him.
½ February 18, 2011
Ainda pensei que fosse um biopic sobre um director desportivo português, mas à (C) afinal uma paródia do estigma da Máfia que persegue os sicilianos. Fez-me rir várias vezes. à provável que o filme tenha ensinado umas coisas ao Kusturica.
½ January 7, 2011
Friday, January 7, 2011

(1964) Mafioso
(In Italian with English subtitles)
COMEDY/ DRAMA

It's been said this was the first actual movie about the Italian mafia before Francis Ford Coppola made famous with his "Godfather" trilogy! Story involves hard working factory worker visiting relatives on a trip before unknowingly showing gratitude to powerful Don! More black comedy focusing on his quips with his family and relatives than it is as a serious Italian gangster film! Interesting but tame compared to what's being shown today!

3 out of 4 stars
November 23, 2010
It is surprising and strange to us how the mafia works in Italy, which is shown in this movie, but this movie is exciting and very funny. I enjoyed it.
jimbotender
October 9, 2010
The times and ironies of a person's boring felicity.What a paradox.Antonio ought to have shown some gratitude being in a position of taking charge for once as action comes up to his doorstep.Brilliant portrayal of the Sicelian carefree living and hurdles in between with a slightly avoidable manner.The case is Mafioso arguably displays the consequences of trust and devotion to something,family in the movie as the chain of ever-after strength.Sordi's performance is the real Oscar-winner.
August 13, 2010
A Northern-ized factory supervisor returns to his Sicilian home... and finds himself indebted to the local mob. I can't think of anything bad to say about this movie, everything about it was done well enough. But I just didn't get into it that much. The main character didn't resonate with me, neither did the comedy. I enjoyed some of the smaller moments of Sicilian life, and the noir-ish climax was somewhat compelling. Most of it just kind of washed over me, though. Not bad, just unremarkable.
½ June 22, 2010
Mafioso is one good film, that blends dark comedy and mobster action. It's moreso a mobster flick than comedy though. But it's very "meet the parents" and bouncy to start things off, then slowly but surely turns into a wild mob ride and test of morale. Antonio becomes stuck at a crossroad at that point, do as he's told and go home like nothing happened yet have to live with the pain on his conscience for the rest of his life, or be killed. It's very sly in style, and became quite a pleasant surprise if I do say so myself. The direction, lighting, and camerawork are all magnificent. It's a nice change of pace, don't pass it up if you have the chance to see it.
½ June 3, 2010
Quite funny and original in the way the story is executed. Throughout the film I couldn't help but think of The Godfather. We get the chance to see what kind of world Michael was getting into when he entered Italy. Antonio is absolutely in love with his family. He can't be happier around them. So why has he been gone 8 years? We hear Don Vincenzo talking about wacking a guy, and it's easy to figure out what exactly he has in mind. The comedy really comes in when we see Antonio interacting with his family and friends. This part reminded me of Meet the Parents. His wife had never met his family before, and they get the feeling that she is posh and stuck up. From what I learned in this film, she is a northerner, and northerners have quite a different way of doing things than the people of Sicily. They were more about individuality of women in the north while in Sicily the woman still did everything for the man. The contrast of the two were very interesting. I think one of the funniest scenes was seeing the guys making the naked sand woman and then Antonio pretty much saying "good for you virgins, act all you want, but I've actually been with a woman." Even the end had funny moments. Seeing Antonio trying to give everyone the letter was amusing, but sad at the same time. He knows what he got himself into, but he doesn't want to admit it. The film itself was shot beautifully. I loved the contrast of the way it was shot in northern Italy, then Sicily, then New York. It's hard not to feel amazed looking up at the skyscrapers after you have been in a small village. The film does ask an interesting question in the end: even if we do bad deeds, are we still a good person? Great movie, glad I randomly picked it up from the library.
½ April 18, 2010
Calling this a comedy maybe does it a disservice. It is funny, but it's hardly just a comedy. In fact, it seems to be remarkably realistic for a "comedy." This is utterly fascinating and well shot film, that just happens to pretty funny.