Mafioso - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mafioso Reviews

March 25, 2010
Great film! Truly a inspiration to Francis Ford Coppola and his "Godfather" film. There were many similarities. However, this had a lighthearted edge. A must see.
December 10, 2009
A humorous and dramatic satire about a Sicilian who takes his family back to his hometown to meet the parents. He confronts his past, and is subjected to an unpaid favor to a mafia boss - even if it means to murder. Satirically exploits such Italian stereotypes as family, food, and female mustache complexes. The subtitles didn't contrast well over the white backgrounds, so sometimes a little straining to read. Overall a good film.
½ November 14, 2009
This movie is particularly good if you've ever had any serious encounters with Sicilians
October 12, 2009
MAFIOSO is an unusual film, deft enough to handle both comedy and tragedy. It is a film rich in irony, centrally exploring the depths between what appears and what actually is. At the film's beginning, one perceives the Sicilians as innocently backwards. By the film's end, one has truly seen their dark side.
½ June 8, 2009
I enjoyed everything but the screenplay.
May 31, 2009
Underappreciated and neglected mafia film. Francis Ford Coppola borrowed a lot of scenes and ideas from this and used them in his 'Godfather' trilogy. So yes, 'Mafioso' is more important than it is made out to be.
April 8, 2009
Entertaining comedy from director Alberto Lattuada features a hilarious central performance from Alberto Sordi. Its biggest flaw is its leisurely pacing, it could have used a bit more energy at times - but the suspenseful final sequence is brilliantly conceived.
Harlequin68
March 12, 2009
[font=Century Gothic]In "Mafioso," Antonio Badalamenti(Alberto Sordi) is an efficiency expert about to take his blonde wife Marta(Norma Bengell) and two children to visit his family in Sicily for the first time. But before he can make his escape, his boss Dr. Zanchi(Armando Tine) asks him to deliver a small package to Don Vincenzo(Ugo Attanasio) when he sees him.(While Zanchi is originally from America, his parents are also from Siciliy.) Antonio happily agrees as he rushes home to catch a train that will get them to Sicily by the following morning.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]While not quite the comedy I was expecting, there is still much to recommend in "Mafioso." Don't get me wrong. There are certainly comedic elements but they are subtly downplayed as the movie barely avoids several stereotypes at once while utilizing a parallel storyline to its best advantage. What is accentuated are the cultural differences between the traditional, laid back Sicily versus the more modern, fast-paced Milan.(I don't have the ear for it but I am sure the dialects are quite different also.) It does not take Antonio long to get used to the slower rhythms of his old hometown but he is shocked by the darkness that infuses the last half hour of the movie. Throughout, he is reminded that most of his old friends are dead, in jail or perpetually unemployed, his university education allowing him to escape this fate. But there are worse things than hanging out at the beach all day.[/font]
February 10, 2009
I didn't understand this movie until I watched the interviews in the special features, and I must say that upon reflection this movie is wonderful and belongs to another time when directors had simpler and more honest motives behind their work.
December 30, 2008
One of the best mafia films I've ever seen.
½ November 10, 2008
beautiful, funny, and full of rotund Siciliana men in small swimming trunks. I'm all over this movie.
October 15, 2008
I like that the focus is less on the hit and more about the land, culture and its people.
½ October 12, 2008
darkly funny. great role for alberto sordi. bravo!
October 2, 2008
A very interesting film about the dichotomy between the bustling Northern Italy and the more leisurely, casual, yet seedier Southern Italy. Oddly humorous and endearing at the same time.
September 6, 2008
Although the title may be a little misleading as I picked it up thinking it was a gangster film, it is a movie that shows the distancing factors between Northern Italy and Southern Italy. It is more a film about how these people see each other and how different they seem to be to each other.
½ September 4, 2008
The first part of the film is very entertaining. But the second half just lacks the same appeal.
August 31, 2008
Saw it recently for the second time, and it still holds up. The New York sequence seems out of place from the rest of the movie.
August 15, 2008
A light hearted movie, to begin with, but takes a turn. I suppose if it were made today in the U.S. it would have a very different ending. The score doesn't give any clues as to what kind of movie it is. Overall, a good story. Makes you wonder what you'd do if your vacation was interupted by the Don.
August 11, 2008
this is a brilliant piece by alberto latuada.. alberto sordi was brilliant as a man who brought his wife n 2 daughters bk to his hometown in sicilly.. he juggles between his family.. his parents.. relatives.. n the mafia family.. brilliant comedy... plus the copy i hv is the criterion version... a very gd xfer they did... recommended to anyone who likes italian comedy.. eg pietro germi's divorce italian style..
August 11, 2008
Wonderful tension and quite funny as well. Enjoyed it.