Magic Mike - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Magic Mike Reviews

March 27, 2016
Fairly interesting and entertaining overall with a slick look and good direction but the acting was weak. The film could have been a lot better with a better cast, especially among most of the supporting cast, and while the script and story was good, the end was unsatisfying.
March 26, 2016
Channing is hot movie is great
½ March 9, 2016
Tatum is enjoyable, and McConaughey is hilarious. But something about this oddly-paced and ill-toned stripper dramedy is weird. I could almost feel it begging me to like it. Sure, it's better than the pure sexual tantalizer it seemed to be, but only slightly.
March 4, 2016
I am a gay male and I saw it with my sassy black girl friend. We both kept looking at each other and rolling our eyes through the entire movie. The script was boring as hell. We both found ourselves zoning during the scenes with his girlfriend. The only good dance sequences were Tatum's solos. I mean...all it takes is clever editing and you can make group numbers look good. They couldn't even manage that. And America jumped on the band wagon and branded Showgirls the worst film???? Please.This film was awful!
February 19, 2016
For being a late-period Soderbergh film, Magic Mike is surprisingly amateurish. The cinematography is drenched in a blasted yellow tint reminiscent of the DSLR short films I made in high school, the script is dry and inconsequential, and the improv-heavy interplay between the characters carries on to the point of boredom.

That's not to say the movie doesn't have its moments. This was one of the first hints of Channing Tatum's range apart from being simple eye candy (though the film throws a lot of that in too). Matthew McConaughey is also a thrill to watch although his sputtering character arc feels like a missed opportunity.

If you're coming to see hot guys dancing, there's plenty of that here, but the sequel may be more of your scene. At least it doesn't try and fail to stuff a character study between the glistening bods. 4.1/10
February 15, 2016
I'm sorry, why were people seeing this and raving about it? Says nothing new. I confirmed that I would get kicked out of a strip club for laughing.

This movie was way way too long.
½ February 9, 2016
The big draw of Magic Mike is, well, the strippers. It's always the strippers, isn't it? However, while far from Soderbergh's best work, the film possesses the stylistic motifs of its director and tells a surprisingly engaging story. Channing Tatum delivers a confident starring role, no surprise as the plot draws loosely from his life experience. Matthew McConaughey effectively portrays an exaggerated version of his real personality, while the rest of the male stripping crew do a good job of that, and are asked to little else. At the end of the night, it's a nice helping of beefcake with a little extra story meat on the side.
February 7, 2016
An interesting and different film.
½ January 23, 2016
Quite honestly my first time to see this stripper movie with a heart.
January 17, 2016
A film that could have been far more bland in the hands of a different director. Instead it has a quiet, human feel with compelling characters. The writing is strange, coming from a place of unabashed honesty and authenticity. If you are looking for a fun, sexy movie that allows you to remain thoughtless and spoonfed, this is not, in fact, the movie for you.
½ January 4, 2016
Magic Mike could have been sexy, interesting and credible, but the dances become repetitive and the characters turn boring.
December 31, 2015
Except the bravery concept of making this movie and having such a wonderful cast, 'Magic Mike' for me is just a decent entertainment movie that quickly be forgotten from your mind after you finished watching it.. Maybe while the strippers show the audiences their performances, we'll be dazzled for awhile but there is no special move that will mark in the audiences minds.. One good thing is Matthew McConaughey's performance who we always underrated before because his movie always stereotypical which is comedy romance.. Overall, it was a decent watch..
December 22, 2015
i was kind of shocked. it was a really great story
½ December 20, 2015
A really weird film: funny, entertaining and shameless in some respects but then I feel like it takes itself a bit too seriously. The deeper, realistic and complicated portrayals of the various characters are interesting but the almost-documentary style of some of the dialogue wears thin at times and becomes a chore to listen to. Whilst I did enjoy the more serious moments I felt this film took itself a bit too seriously at times and was not as lightweight ans bawdy as it was meant to be.
½ December 6, 2015
Giving this such a high mark because it was absolutely hilarious. I don't think i've laughed so much at a film in ages. Tho whether any of it was supposed to be funny I'm not sure. The dialogue and storyline weren't up to much as expected and I'm not sure Channing Tatum even finished a sentence throughout the whole film. The random furniture making storyline was frankly just a pointless attempt to make Mike seem like he had hidden depths. There was also the very strange and sudden ending which just left you completely hanging. But lets be honest who goes to see this for the acting? Apart from the horrific McConaughey performance most of the stripping was pretty entertaining and Channing Tatum was definitely a joy to watch in that department. Man is he hot when he dances!
November 19, 2015
Ouin...A part les shows qui sont hilarants, c'est assez basics comme film...divertissant, sans plus.
½ November 10, 2015
Entertaining. I wanna be like mike.
November 9, 2015
it came as a shock... this was actually an ok flick with fairly low taboo content. an industry standpoint is confronted when yes sex sell if the stigmas are dropped by mainstreem exposure. there is a concerned look as "dont worry luv leave it up to us" as total world domination is completely available via successful industrialization lol but the point is clear all fun and games have limits and this is a cannon of arms in the wrong places of market. so the commin phrase/derogatory slur meat market is even more adressed. that said i saw a pretty bad version so xxl wil def be a better version as far as sequels go thts sayin somthing anyway.
½ November 4, 2015
Well... I never really got into this movie the way that I had hoped. In the end all it really ended up being was okay. Some scenes were entertaining, whilst there were other scenes that I had a hard time comprehending, in the end this was a forgettable movie that doesn't really stay with you long enough to have any relevant thoughts about it.
½ November 2, 2015
Actually surprisingly quite a good film, good storyline - and some good actors despite the poor acting