Main Street - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Main Street Reviews

March 14, 2015
Review:
Personally, I couldn't see the point of this movie. All the way through the film I thought that there was going to be a major twist, especially with Firth's character, but nothing really happens. Its about a small community which used to be the main producers for cigarettes and Firth company decides to rent some space in the town to store hazardous waste. The lady that he is renting the space from, has severe money problems and she is scared about losing her house so she is relying on the rental money to keep her house. Once her niece realises that the company is storing waste, she decides to take action but after a bad accident with one of the trucks that was transporting the waste, Firth decides to leave the business. I honestly found the movie cheap and really boring. The cast sounded promising, with Colin Firth and Orlando Bloom taking the lead, but the movie was a waste of time and money. The acting isn't that bad from the cast but I didn't like Bloom and Firth's terrible deep South accents and I didn't find any of the characters that interesting. I'm glad that the director didn't make it into a 2 hour epic movie because the storyline really does dry up after a while, which is a shame because it would have been half decent if there was actually a point to the characters individual stories. Disappointing!

Round-Up:
After the successful Lord Of The Rings and Pirates Of The Caribbean movies, I thought that Orlando Bloom was going to be a major star but I haven't really seen him shine in any other movies. At the age of 38 he still has a chance to prove that he can really act, away from the big budget movies, but I'm yet to see him do anything that great. As for the award winning Colin Firth, this just has to go down as another bad day at the office but he really does need to make some better choices in the movies that he takes on. In this film, Bloom and Firth only really cross paths once so the director really didn't take advantage of the cast. He also could have made some use of Andrew McCarthy, who has been missing from the big screen for ages but he only had a little part which wasn't that memorable. At the end of the day, I really didn't enjoy this film but I will give it a couple of stars, just for Ellen Burstyn's performance.

Budget: N/A
Worldwide Gross: $2,560 (Really Terrible!)

I recommend this movie to people who are into their dramas about a small town which is promised a prosperous future after a company rents an available warehouse to store hazardous chemicals. 2/10
January 13, 2015
Such a slow, boring movie... And even though the actors were all great, I just coudn't force myself to care about the characters...:(
½ September 2, 2014
Not a typical american movie... go for it.
June 27, 2014
Rather boring and uninteresting movie. Took over 20 mins to get in what main part of the story is. Some parts of the story is irrelevant to the main part of the story. It does point out one thing: No matter how many safety measures we take, Hazardous waste is still risky and dangerous.
June 8, 2014
The shots of durham were cool, but the story itself is just pathetic. Seems like an early 90s made for tv plot.
½ March 16, 2014
Whether Colin Firth is the king of England or a texan front man for a toxic waste company, women and men swoon before this tall suave and handsome man. They will be persuaded by him to do what they normally would not. Like opening their Durham backyard to storage of hazardous material. Just as Meryl spoke flawless Queens english as Maggie thatcher, Colin attempted Texan drawl was impressive but obviously inauthentic. Divine intervention or God's will, a disaster like the hazardous waste trucks' accident on the highway altered the course of people's lives. For one, it prevented the departure of the sweet girl, the sweetheart to the young policeman 'Orlando Bloom' who held a torch for her and wished she never left. He must have thanked God for the accident.
½ March 16, 2014
Whether Colin Firth is the king of England or a texan front man for a toxic waste company, women and men swoon before this tall suave and handsome man. They will be persuaded by him to do what they normally would not. Just as Meryl spoke flawless Queens english as Maggie thatcher, Colin's Texan drawl was impressive. Divine intervention caused the accident to the hazardous waste truck and prevented the departure of the sweet girl. Sweetheart to the young policeman 'Orlando Bloom' who held a torch for her must be thanking God for the accident.
½ March 16, 2014
Tall suave and handsome, whether he is the king of England or a texan front man for a toxic waste company. Women and men swoon before Colin Firth and will be persuaded to do what they normally would not. Just as Meryl spoke flawless Queens english as Maggie thatcher, Colin's Texan drawl was impressive. Divine intervention caused the accident to the hazardous waste truck and prevented the departure of the sweet girl. Sweetheart to the young policeman 'Orlando Bloom' who held a torch for her must be thanking God for the accident.
½ February 5, 2014
A history that starts good and finishing without ideas, i was dissapointed , period
May 24, 2013
Not as bad as advertised.
May 15, 2013
this movie seemed like propaganda for a positive look on hazardous waste. it sucked so much we watched it through just to see how bad it got.... it did indeed disappoint. with a cast like that, they would have had to pay these folks a lot of money.... I hope they donated it all to hazardous waste clean up.
April 12, 2013
sorry can't even award it one star.....no plot and the ending was like....hows yo father.
March 19, 2013
A sleeper story with much human drama.
SC007
March 16, 2013
The film took me by surprise. From the trailer, I wasn't expecting much. However, after watching the film, I was pleasantly surprised by it. It is really good. I don't understand why it didn't get more publicity when it came out. The film kind of, in a weird way, reminded me of the movie Magnolia. I felt like I have seen this type of film before. It is well directed and great dialog in it. The film is well casted and everyone shines. I definitely recommend this film.
March 13, 2013
The theme of dying small towns hits home, since all the towns I've lived in have experienced this phenomena of our time and I'm old enough to remember when downtowns were where everything took place, and to have seen them gradually fail, along with the industries that gave birth to them. Also, I often watch movies with low rankings, because I often disagree with the critics and like them anyway. And this movie had a great cast. In addition, although Horton Foote's had some screenplay flops, he also had some great successes too. But like the flops, this movie is slow to the point of being excruciating, with very little plot and no real development of the characters. The result is wooden in the extreme--well, you win some and you lose some.
March 13, 2013
Very balanced film fits right into today's quest for the America Dream.The continuing questions of how to maintain that dream and @ what cost.? The movie refuses to preach to you and is very character driven. Soft, quaint, and wholesome with a tad of Corporation Hazardous Waste intrigue to keep you focus.There is no bad guy vs good guy just pure survival in today's America. The Andy Griffith Show + Michael Moore + Apple Pie = Main Street
February 21, 2013
This could have been a great movie -- but for some reason Colin Firth as a ruthless Texan did not work for me, and the while this reminded me of Duerrenmatt's Besuch der alten Dame (visit of the old lady), the ending fell flat, and the moral dilemmas were just not really explored.
January 31, 2013
This film feels so dated, and I guess the script was written years before. In our current world, the need for cheap, reliable energy has taken some of the heat down on the issue of nuclear waste storage. If this had opened a decade or more ago it would have made more sense. There just was not any feeling that real danger existed. The ending lacked any kind of tension or sense of outrage. And, though I truly love Colin Firth, his accent was not good.