Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara Reviews

June 26, 2014
An excellent movie, great performances. Loved Urmila in the movie!!! Jahnu Barua beautifully showed the complexities of human mind and relationships. A beautiful father-daughter relationship. A rare Indian movie!
½ December 5, 2009
What a great movie, Anupam Kher is at his best. Love the way he has enacted his part. Urmila is also good and looks very pretty. Good Movie.
May 21, 2009
Haraamkhor, tune Gandhi ko kyun nahin mara???
½ October 13, 2008
Interesting and sensitive story of a man coping with Alzheimers and his familys struggle to help him. The court scene at the end is unusual but somehow does work. Anupam Kher is very good in the central role which I wasnt expecting having only previously seen him as the usual jovial uncle / father role in fluffy Bollywood romantic comedies.
September 22, 2008
One of the best Indian movies i've seen.
½ June 7, 2008
It is a good movie, but I can't really pin point what it lacks. Anupan Kher is a great actor, and he does a great job. The story is not typical for Indian cinema, so I applaud talking about subjects such as Indian social interactions affected by dementia; old fashioned ineffective disciplining of children, and of course, the reminding of Gandhiji's true message. I guess it could have been done less cheesy, and it would have given it more realism. But overall, I enjoyed the movie a lot! How many Gandhis do we need to learn the simple lesson?
April 2, 2008
Excellent movie, well acted, realistic portrayal of the lasting results of childhood abuse and trauma, and a woman's role in family and caregiver in dementia, and how it affects her career and social life.
March 5, 2008
the most emotional movie which i had evr seen it makes u to think abt the relations
February 25, 2008
India's treacherous 'forgetting' of Gandhi's vision is depicted through a Bengali lit prof's neurotic memory loss. Funky! Brill scripting by Janu Barua.
½ January 29, 2008
OK - i must admit i was thoroughly disappointed with this movie. The end was such an anticlimax. They built up the story so well but the end was a debacle. Anupam Kher is an excellent actor, which is no surprise. I am his big fan. On the contrary Urmila is overacting. Screenplay is abominal. If you want to enjoy a Gandhian movie, I would say watch Munna Bhai MBBS part -2, atleast its hilarious and Arshwad Varsi keeps you entertained all along.
December 27, 2007
movies abt human emotions never fail to capture me...Kudos to Anupam kher - he does justice to every character he plays....
½ December 17, 2007
Anupam Kher has given his life time best performance in this movie. The character by Urmila probably would better suit to Nandita Das or Shaban Azami, Deepti Naval, or Seema Biswas or some one with stranger personality which is better suited for the character.

The movie is thought provoking.. I saw this moving with my adapted mom.. she was crying because she could connect anupam kher with her own father...

Nevertheles...story is best summarized by "Tina Bihal" see review
October 27, 2007
Do not miss out on this thought-provoking, inspiring and beautiful movie. It depicts the frustration of enduring the sudden emergence of a father's mental illness. The plot is a bit predictable but still brilliantly presented. Psychological facts are not made up or violated and therefore the picturization is very realistic. Touching movie that makes you re-consider the ideal belief in family. Anupam Kher should get an Oscar for his performance!
September 16, 2007
anupam kher's perfectly played the role. Jahnu's always great.
September 4, 2007
Possibly Urmila Matondkar's best work ever. A touching and at times torturous look into the lives of a family struggling to come to grips with the illness of one of its members. Anupam Kher excels as Uttam Choudhary. Maine Gandhi ko Nahin Mara should be on your "desert island list".
August 27, 2007
A very underrated movie that deserved some recognition, Urmila and Anupam in groundbreaking roles
July 26, 2007
one of da best art movies i hve seen..i feel sad that it hasnt got tht much recognization which it should have..Anupem was fantastic in it
½ June 29, 2007
kher's performance has never been as good after saransh. director jahnu barua is very daring to attempt a non-mainstream genre film as his first in hindi. the movie unsurprisingly failed at the box office. not until much later in the film do you realize why it is titled so and anupam kher does incredibly well in delivering the climactic speech. When a film says something about how dangerous a Gandhian is to people in today's world it has to be worth watching
June 19, 2007
An understated drama by Bollywood standards, with some super performances, and not a bad premise. But, unfortunately, it makes the same dramatic mistake about Alzheimers' that 'The Notebook' made. It doesn't matter how much you'd like to make things get better, no matter how many stories you tell, or how many mock courtroom dramas you reinact, you really can't bring your loved one back again...