The Majestic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Majestic Reviews

½ June 16, 2017
Very disappointed in Frank Darabont. Also, meant to review/write this last night 6/15/17, but I fell asleep and didn't finish the movie until today 6/16/17.
April 5, 2017
I'm flying in the face of most critics proclaiming this an excellent movie. A few aspects of it are obviously contrived as part of the plot setup, but it's not intended to be a true story. Jim Carrey breaks further free from his zany and slapstick characters in the past (e.g. the Ace Ventura persona) to play a more serious role along the lines of The Truman Show in this romantic drama. Some might complain about its length, but it allows the viewer to become immersed in how much the town wishes so much for Luke Trimble to return home that they seize on him blindly to fulfill that dream. Details of the denouement before the HUAC could have been done better, but certainly to achieve the same result. An excellent evening's entertainment.
April 3, 2017
Too long. Story is not believable but I think it's supposed to be mythical. Found myself wishing Jim Carey was Tim Robbins. Message is a bit heavy handed, but it's all part of the "myth".
February 15, 2017
My greatest joy is sharing a movie that illustrates something. The Majestic illustrates how the McCarthy era affected some people. I grew up in it. Few films have tackled this subject from the point of view of the individual attacked by government overreach. Whine as much as you want about it being sentimental, but people were being hurt by the very people in government charged with defending their rights. Jim Carrey stopped his usual mugging and acted through most of this film, and did a darned good job of it. A movie doesn't need to win an Academy Award to be good. The Majestic is a very good movie because it does a good job of telling an important story while it entertains.
February 11, 2017
I don't know why, but the the whole story doesn't appear convincing to me. Everything looks overdesigned and artificial to me. Any crazy science fiction comes more realistic. Stopped watching after one hour.
January 7, 2017
An under-rated gem of a movie. One of my all-time favorites!
½ November 26, 2016
Having enjoyed the film, this is perhaps one of the most genuine roles Carrey has ever filled. Despite the pandering to a wistful nostalgia, the picture was successfully evocative. At the same time could easily be identified as a watered down "It's a Wonderful Life" with straining themes.
November 5, 2016
Beautiful, heartwarming, and well acted.
September 26, 2016
Saw this last night and loved it! Just what we need now...a movie that gives hope and reminds us all where that hope came from. Stellar cast, fantastic direction, I was moved from the beginning to the end. Jim Carrey was wonderful!! I disagree with the negative rap this got. History repeats itself and this movie should be required viewing in high schools. Never forgot how we got our freedom!!!!!
½ August 6, 2016
The best sort of feel good movie you want to watch at the end of a tired week-day. Jim Carrey is magnificent, amazing crew and a plot that keeps you entertained throughout.
May 24, 2016
This is why I always do the opposite of the pretentious, pseudo-intellectual critics. The acting is outstanding and love the storyline and suspense. I show it to my high school students every year now (they've never seen it) and it gets rave reviews from a young crowd that needs an intellectual, feel-good movie tied into a great historical time (of good and bad history).
½ April 26, 2016
Predictable yet never boring. Stumbles at patriotic themes but makes up by a lovely and heartwarming storytelling and directing for most of its running time.Frank Darabont is a true master of his kind. All 4 movies directed by him are just fantastic!
½ April 11, 2016
All kinds of bad, it shouldn't take 2 1/2 hours to tell this story. Should have taken 1 3/4 hours maximum. Carrey just wasn't suited, and the rest of the film is all about the visuals and another resurrection of the black listing era when the best film on that would be Guilty By Suspicion, at least since the 80s-90s. The director's previous films stomp this one.
March 24, 2016
One of Jim Carrey's best performances, this movie evokes the small town feelings of yesteryear. Incredibly underrated, this movie makes you feel a part of the Lawson town. By the end of the movie you feel like you have been on an incredible journey.
March 20, 2016
Another very mixed vibe.
½ March 18, 2016
I enjoyed the movie despite the sentimentality
February 27, 2016
Love those old fashioned small town period pieces. Plenty of great performances here, especially Martin Landau and James Whitmore. Thought Jim Carrey was a bit miscast. He doesn't seem to have the emotional range required for the role. As for being mistaken for someone else, when it's just been, what? Seven years? You think someone would know he's not "Luke". Still, there's enough here to like.
½ February 1, 2016
Jim Carrey is usually a big goofball. That is not the case here.
½ January 3, 2016
Jim Carrey doesn't believe in vaccinations. He and his movies are idiotic