The Majestic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Majestic Reviews

September 26, 2016
Saw this last night and loved it! Just what we need now...a movie that gives hope and reminds us all where that hope came from. Stellar cast, fantastic direction, I was moved from the beginning to the end. Jim Carrey was wonderful!! I disagree with the negative rap this got. History repeats itself and this movie should be required viewing in high schools. Never forgot how we got our freedom!!!!!
½ August 6, 2016
The best sort of feel good movie you want to watch at the end of a tired week-day. Jim Carrey is magnificent, amazing crew and a plot that keeps you entertained throughout.
May 24, 2016
This is why I always do the opposite of the pretentious, pseudo-intellectual critics. The acting is outstanding and love the storyline and suspense. I show it to my high school students every year now (they've never seen it) and it gets rave reviews from a young crowd that needs an intellectual, feel-good movie tied into a great historical time (of good and bad history).
½ April 26, 2016
Predictable yet never boring. Stumbles at patriotic themes but makes up by a lovely and heartwarming storytelling and directing for most of its running time.Frank Darabont is a true master of his kind. All 4 movies directed by him are just fantastic!
½ April 11, 2016
All kinds of bad, it shouldn't take 2 1/2 hours to tell this story. Should have taken 1 3/4 hours maximum. Carrey just wasn't suited, and the rest of the film is all about the visuals and another resurrection of the black listing era when the best film on that would be Guilty By Suspicion, at least since the 80s-90s. The director's previous films stomp this one.
March 24, 2016
One of Jim Carrey's best performances, this movie evokes the small town feelings of yesteryear. Incredibly underrated, this movie makes you feel a part of the Lawson town. By the end of the movie you feel like you have been on an incredible journey.
March 20, 2016
Another very mixed vibe.
½ March 18, 2016
I enjoyed the movie despite the sentimentality
February 27, 2016
Love those old fashioned small town period pieces. Plenty of great performances here, especially Martin Landau and James Whitmore. Thought Jim Carrey was a bit miscast. He doesn't seem to have the emotional range required for the role. As for being mistaken for someone else, when it's just been, what? Seven years? You think someone would know he's not "Luke". Still, there's enough here to like.
½ February 1, 2016
Jim Carrey is usually a big goofball. That is not the case here.
½ January 3, 2016
Jim Carrey doesn't believe in vaccinations. He and his movies are idiotic
August 11, 2015
Critics went down hard on this one but to be honest it's such a marvelous little film, it will win you over. I loved the story, it was so well done , well written & for once Jim Carrey is not plugged on his usual 3000 voltage battery of comical energy. Frank Darabont is a great director who knows how to tell a good story & entertain his audience. Truly a little pearl. Watch it it's dope.
July 6, 2015
Such a good film; one of my favorites, in fact. I can't understand why it was so despised by many critics and why it doesn't have a higher score from the audience, but whatever. I think that Darabont did a fantastic job with this film and that it's gloriously Capra-esque feel is what makes it work best. Yes, it's sentimental at times, but so what? Too much cynicism in Hollywood and in the world nowadays. I give this film 5/5.
½ June 9, 2015
The movie wishes it where more than the unbearable long trudge through boredom that it became.
½ May 17, 2015
This is one of those films that tries too hard to do everything. It starts off as a story about the McCarthy Witchhunts, then it turns to an amnesia drama about the benefits of a small town life (complete with all the cliches involved in such a story, including a father, a fianc√¬ (C), and a war hero), only to forget what it was doing and turn back into a Witchhunt drama again. The plot threads do not work well together (it requires the Feds to hunt him down for no real reason and everybody involved to conveniently ignore the head injury and amnesia he suffered) and neither story really works on its own. And the ending is built around as melodramatic a speech as it is humanly possible to give.
May 9, 2015
Certainly overlooked and noticeably underrated. Carrey gives a fantastic performance while Darabont works his magic.
May 2, 2015
Visually stylish and reinforced by one of Jim Carrey's inspiring non-comedic performances, this is sure to win the hearts of people with a little faith.
April 15, 2015
Me parece que plantea claramente las paradojas de la sociedad norteamericana.
March 13, 2015
3/13/2014: A bit long, but a nice little movie. This may be Carrey's best non-comedic role.