Major Payne - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Major Payne Reviews

½ May 24, 2014
Funny and not meant to be taken seriously. Enjoyable throughout.
April 13, 2014
Very good movie. Very funny, pretty warm-hearted, with a great performance from Wayans.
April 8, 2014
This is a classic movie from my child hood, and even with its cheese and crackers; I just hear wine in everyone else reviews. This movie should have a much better score then 27. As someone who has seen the movies more times thing the amount of fingers and toes I retain, I assure everyone that this is a hallmark classic movie with unique comedy and extant acting. 5/5.
March 11, 2014
Just watched it on netflix, and even though it is a bad movie I was still entertained, I'll admit I laughed at even the terrible humour and found some of Wayans moments hillarious, bad but enjoyable
January 20, 2014
Boy was that Major Payne-full! Yes my pun was painful and unoriginal, but nowhere near bad as this predictable and unfunny film starring Damon Wayans as the title role. Based loosely on the 1955 film Private War of Major Benson, Major Payne offers little laughs, but is rich in obnoxious voice from Wayans. He is sadistic, but the film's attempt to bring a young audiences deters Payne from commiting some f'ed actions. Gimme your finger. Yet he manages to humiliate the boys one way or another. The boys, made of preteens and young adults, hate him and try to come up with some crazy schemes to get rid of him. Maj. Payne would destroy them, but must restrain himself to win the affection of the school counselor. Why she is attracted to him is never explained. Film is directed by Nick Castle who terrorized young teens in a William Shatner mask. I believe he forgot that he was shooting a comedy, so it can't be his fault. Lookout, there's a Charlie in the tree.
½ November 17, 2013
It was funny and entertaining. I enjoyed the movie. However, I first saw it this year, 2013; and feel that it's has dated a bit. I noticed the make-up work on Major Payne. I think that the casting of the children fell short. Some of the characters looked a bit older than children. However, good film to watch with a younger audience.
November 9, 2013
Cheesy and comical. Well-defined characters. Damon Wayans is a hilariously stiff drill sergeant who learns to loosen up.
½ October 27, 2013
Such a classic movie.
October 13, 2013
I used to love this film when it came out, so wanted to watch it again to see if nostalgia glasses overlooked its flaws or it was good. Thankfully it is the latter. Damon Wayans is a killing machine, he's only good at one thing: killing. However, he's so good, he's killed everyone to kill. They have nothing left for him so he has to try his luck as a civilian, He ends up in jail, but his general bails him out to give him his new assignment, to manage a group of JROTC kids who happen to be terrible at everything. He brings his toughness to them and tries to turn them from losers to winners. Along the way, Hilary from the Fresh Prince and a kid try to soften him up to change him from his cold blooded killer to a family man. There are plenty of laughs, from the recruits playing pranks on the ultra strict Payne to Payne trying to become human. The story is what you would expect and does exactly what you expect, but Wayans is great and everyone seems to be having a good time that you can't help but love it. Still holds up after all these years.
September 12, 2013
A classic that I love every time from start to finish. Critics hate it, but I truly think this is Damon Wayans at his best. You all know the story, and how it ends and most of the jokes in the film, but you know this is fantastic movie THAT HAS STILL YET TO BE PUT ON BLU RAY WTF STUDIOS? Anyway, if you haven't seen it yet (jackass) see it and if you haven't bought it yet, do so. What are you waiting for? This one certainly deserves to be in your colleciton.
½ August 18, 2013
I half expected this movie to be utter crap but even though the jokes are pretty tongue in cheek it's surprisingly very funny, Damon wayans is the funniest wayan by far!
August 4, 2013
Classic. Easily the best film Damon Wayans has been a part of. (I'm not sure if that's saying much though).
July 26, 2013
For the most part unoriginal and predictable, but that's just the kind of movie this is. A few laugh out loud moments.
½ June 25, 2013
Was Major Payne great? No. But come on, it was funny. It had alot of laughs and Damon Wayans was the perfect guy for this role. A Marine who basically was a certified killer goes to teach kids in a JRTOC program. That pretty much is the story except he starts to build a relationship with Dr. Walburn who is played by Karyn Parsons. The movie is funny, and does not disappoint.
Grade: B-
½ June 20, 2013
"Boy, I am two seconds from being on you like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm. I'm gonna put my foot so far up your ass, the water on my knee will quench your thirst."
½ June 19, 2013
Being a veteran, it's hard to watch a military-type movie and not pick things apart. Major Payne had me laughing so hard I'm sure I missed quite a few errors. My kids loved it, too, especially since their older brother is now a Marine.
June 8, 2013
A marine major with a severe culture shock lands a job in a prep school. It is exactly as horrible as you would expect it to be, with the usual waterfall of jokes about bodily functions.
June 6, 2013
I used to like this movie, but that was because I had only seen the TV version. When I saw the real version, I lost all interest.
May 13, 2013
Mighty Ducks meets Full Metal Jacket.
½ April 6, 2013
What this movie lacks in storyline and formula makes up for with a hilarious performance by Damon Wayans. His attitude and one-liners are so funny in this movie, that they save it from disaster.