A Majority of One - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Majority of One Reviews

October 10, 2017
If you can ignore the miscasting, it's a charming movie.
September 28, 2017
beautiful scenery and acting
½ September 24, 2017
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, A Majority of One is as relevant today as it was when it was first released in 1961.
jjnxn
½ February 19, 2017
Both Roz and Alec Guinness are miscast, it should have been Sessue Hayakawa and Thelma Ritter in their roles to remain true to the spirit of the piece, but they make something lovely and charming out of this film through their graceful ways, charisma and talent. It's very much of it's time and place, but most films are, and a trifle long still a gentle picture of guarded people finding a commonality of interest and finally love where none was expected. A sweet film.
February 8, 2016
A predictable pleasure, but nothing groundbreaking. Eddie drove me nuts.
August 26, 2014
Poorly cast with Alec Guiness as a Japanese character, the movie has some funny Jewish moments and stereotypes.
June 4, 2014
On the face of it, you wouldn't think this word work--these stars, this plot, this period--but it does, and quite well. Both leads are exceptional. If you're looking for history and conflict, this one isn't for you. But if you want to feel a warm sense of satisfaction and pleasure, you'll be happy you decided to watch.
½ April 3, 2014
Sweet movie. Convincing acting.
October 13, 2013
A true delight from start to finish.
March 1, 2012
Kind of a strange film, took me awhile to realize Alec Guinness is supposed to be acting a japanese man -- when his accent is totally wrong and he does not resemble a japanese in any way. Decent film otherwise.
½ March 1, 2012
interting study prejudice
June 1, 2011
A Majority of One stars Rosalind Russell and Alec Guinness, and I do have to agree with those that say they were both miscast in this film - especially Guinness who plays a Japanese man. The movie for it's time gets a nod for a film about prejudices between race and cultures, but then they cast an Englishman (Guinness) with his eyes taped back to look slanted and an not so great Japanese accent. The story of a Jewish widow (Russell) and a Japanese widower (Guinness) who meet on a cruise ship. Her son-in-law is headed to Japan with his mother-n-law and wife where he is going to do some business with the Japanese gentleman that Guinness plays and he and his wife are unhappy when Russell and Guinness become romantic. It's a light comedy but with a well pointed point of view.
½ October 6, 2010
this is my very favorite movie of all time! There is none better than this wonderful love story.
December 29, 2009
A sweet movie with a timeless message about overcoming prejudice. Now on DVD!!
½ November 30, 2009
A lovely story, I just could not take Alec Guinness performance seriously as Japanese!
½ May 3, 2009
Great 1961 drama starring Alec Guinness (as a Japanese man) and Rosalind Russell that shows how small prejudices can influence "what could become" great relationships ... I am sure this movie was ahead of its time back in the early 1960s - and should be watched if you get the chance. Warning: the first 45 minutes will have you yearning to take a cruise! I enjoyed this one a lot. Favorite scene: Mrs. Jacoby has a little too much saki ... and it shows!
September 16, 2008
Admittedly, it's progressive for its time, but as a typical easily-offended Asian, I couldn't stand Alec Guinness as a Japanese man.
July 15, 2008
Okay, so it was the early Sixties and Alec Guiness plays a Japanese man. Remember Shirley MacLaine as an Indian in "Around the World in 80 Days"? Anyway, this is a sleeper. While its presentation seems hokey to us today, the content and approach was very avante garde for 1961. If you are a socially aware person I highly recommend this movie.
July 15, 2008
Alec Guiness can do anything, including playing a Japanese Man.
July 3, 2008
want to see this because it won best comedy or musical picture at the golden globes