Make Believe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Make Believe Reviews

October 17, 2014
How can you not love magic? If you said no to magic you say no to life and I say no to you. Good Day Sir.
½ December 18, 2013
I found out about this documentary from seeing Krystyn Lambert in Criss Angel's series and hearing she was in this. Basically follows a few aspiring teen magicians on the road to the World Magic Seminar. It is an interesting documentary of their struggle to fit in and how they hone their craft. Not so much how they do anything, but more how they make new tricks. Goes the everything before and after. Does a pretty solid job of telling a story. Pretty standard documentary fare with the occasional neat shot of a trick or rare insight into a trick. Worth a watch for magic fans or people who enjoy an uplifting documentary.
July 31, 2013
Fellow magic aficionados, you've got to check this out. These kids are amazingly talented but it's a little sad to see how lonely they are. Maybe this is mean-spirited but Krystyn Lambert reminded me of Tracy Flick and I kept waiting for her to get her comeuppance.
June 9, 2013
Netflix, On Ebert's list and looked with kids and magic
March 30, 2013
Nice fun documentary on the greatest teen magicians in the world, converging on Las Vegas to compete in the Lance Burton Championship. It follows a half dozen young competitors and focuses on what drives them to be great. It's intriguing watching them hone their routines leading up to the big day. As a nice bonus the DVD has a tutorial showing how to perform several magic tricks, which I have used to impress my children.
November 21, 2012
There are many of competition style documentries that I love. "Pulling John" is about arm wrestling, "King of Kong" is about competitive classic video game playing, "word wars" is about competitive scrable, "Air Guitar Nation" is about competitive air guitar, "planet b-boy" is about break dancing, I would recommend any of these movies. They have built in villians and always an under dog to root for. They are way more dramatic than a scripted movies since you really don't know who will win. This one is about the world of teen magic and a competion that has lead to famous vegas magicians. It falls towards the bottom of the list above but still worth watching (most are on netflix streaming).
½ October 24, 2012
One of the better and more interesting documentaries that exist. The characters that are being followed, for the most part are not that interesting or exciting. Most are just nerdy or boring kids practicing over and over again to make their tricks perfect. Which is a nice touch to see the devotion they go through. I found the really interesting part was when they were describing their tricks. It was interesting to see how complicated they were, when they look so simple on stage. I feel that is part of the trick now, and make me appreciate what is happening on stage more. One of the characters who I did not like was Krystyn Lambert. It felt like she got all the advantages to put her above the other magicians, and it feels almost condescending to the other characters. I am sure she is probably a nice person in real life, and not evil,, but it felt like she got a clear advantage over the other characters because she belonged to the magic castle. Overall if you like documentary films, you will probably enjoy this film a lot. If you don't like them, it is still very decent, and I would give it a watch, just to enjoy magic more.
August 29, 2012
So much fun and so insightful! Who knew magician contests were so dog-eat-dog? The kids are likable and yes, some of the tricks are pretty damn cool.
July 25, 2012
An amazing movie about some amazing kids
December 6, 2011
"Pick a star, any star..."
June 12, 2011
Fantastic documentary that follows several promising young teenagers as they pursue their passion for magic - an unlikely and obscure hobby for kids these days, considering videogames and the like prevail. It was very touching to learn how they arrived in Vegas for this competition, and in the end, I found myself cheering for every one of the kids and their dedication to their art! Check it out if you can!
May 15, 2011
Make Believe is a delightful story of teenagers who are devoted to the art of "Magic". This documentary tells the well rounded story of these young artist as they attempt to make it to the big time. Most documentaries fall short on this goal of telling the whole story of "their characters" Make Believe is not in this category. I give "Make Believe" *** 1/2 wands of magic wand.
May 12, 2011
Gearing up for the opening tomorrow!
May 8, 2011
An engaging little film introducing the public to the unique world of young magicians. Given the tricky ages of those shown in this film, there easily could have been more angst shown, but it, none the less, is quite engaging and well worth a look.
May 6, 2011
what an amazing doc!!! looking forward to see it on the big screen!
May 5, 2011
Not just a movie about magic - although that is extraordinary, too... And its not just about teens. Its a movie about human spirit, which makes this a film for everyone. Director Clay Tweel has the ability to get to the innermost core of these real-life Harry Potters, resulting in a brutally honest film; exposing dreams and foibles, even at times embarrassingly so. By the end, you will feel you know these kids on a personal level, which causes a bittersweet ending, as only one can win the crown. SUPERB film - highly recommended!
May 5, 2011
Wonderful documentary!! The magicians are very talented and it was fun to follow their stories. In addition, the filming in Japan and Africa was exquisite. Also, the credits at the end were great with the montage of magicians doing magic tricks! This movie will entertain audiences, young and old.
May 4, 2011
I was lucky enough to see this last year at the Austin Film Festival, and it was the best film of the entire festival, in my opinion. A truly touching and heartwarming documentary that I cannot wait to see again.