Make Your Own Damn Movie Reviews

• Apr 30, 2012

Queen to play is a success story and drama directed by Caroline Bottaro. In addition to directing this film and a few short films, Bottaro is also a writer. Queen to Play was her first and only feature thus far. Bottaro received an Honorable Mention at Palm Springs International Festival for Queen to Play. I enjoyed this film mainly because I found the intricate relationships between wife and husband, mother and daughter, and mentor and mentee intriguing. For example, one scene I enjoyed where this is depicted is when Helene and Dr. Kroger are playing chess by just stating the board numbers and pieces which reflects the chemistry and intimacy between them. I found myself wanting their relationship to grow and continue while also feeling for the husband who tries to understand his wife's new passion. One aspect of the film I found successful is some of the different camera shots. One particularly successful camera angle is when they show an above shot of Helene cleaning and playing chess on the outside floor tiles instead a normal view from on the ground. In addition the scenery adds to the idea of the movie. This is shown through the differences in the set up of Kroger's house versus Helene's place. The props in Helene's house relay back to the viewer her money situation which greatly contrasts Kroger's elegant mansion and all the props at his house. One idea found within this film is the idea of empowering women. The movie depicts this idea with the triumph of Helene becoming a great chess player despite the fact that others in the film consider chess to be a sport of higher class men. In addition, the chess piece, the queen, serves as a metaphor as it is the most powerful piece in the game. A specific example where Helene is depicted as a woman of power is when she defeats all of the men in the chess tournament. I could see the seriousness and dedication in her facial features during the championship match. She even carriers the queen board piece with her which reiterates her power. Another idea found within the film is that of overcoming one's fears to pursue their talents. For example within the film Helene was afraid to enter the chess tournament at first, just as Kroger's late wife was afraid to share her art work with world. Helene, however, overcame her fears and succeeded, unlike Kroger's wife who died before doing so. One scene where this is depicted is when Kroger takes Helene to see his wife's old paintings and preaches to her about how important it is to share your talents with the world despite your fears. Despite her fears, Helene, listen to Dr. Kroger and her own strong will; thus, she is able to do something out of her comfort zone.

• Nov 28, 2009

It taught me so much and was so funny. I would seriously recommend this to people.

• Oct 17, 2007

I like to think that there's some young filmmaking superstar that will one day win an Oscar and credit this box-set as the reason he rose to such dizzying heights.

• Oct 03, 2007

Go behind the scenes at Troma. Some of this material is funny and informative.

Go behind the scenes at Troma. Some of this material is funny and informative.

• Sep 17, 2007

I learned a lot from this DVD. The first rule, according to the DVD, curse a lot. At anyone. Even if it's not in the movie. Good advice.

• Jun 21, 2007

it should go without saying that this is only for those serious about making movies, but for those that are, Lloyd is not only one of the great (I would argue THE great) auteurs currently working in film, but also perhaps the greatest teacher of film. almost as invaluable as his first two books (his third book is a novilization of The Toxic Avenger), which are slighly less valuable than a firstborn child.

• Dec 12, 2006

This DVD boxed set is a must-have item for ANY wannabe filmmaker. It's informative and entertaining all at the same time. Pure GOLD!!!