Making Mr. Right - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Making Mr. Right Reviews

May 7, 2016
Materialistic 80s feminist falls in love with an android (robot not what is now referred to as a phone) .
July 26, 2015
another very funny slice of the '80's from the director of 'desperately seeking susan'
½ August 31, 2014
Director Susan Seidelman made a few very 80s looking comedies that are not exactly classics, but watching them now really capture the time. She started off with "Desperately Seeking Susan" followed by this film and then made the underrated "Cookie". This film isn't nearly as pop culture obsessed at "Desperately Seeking Susan," but like "Cookie" it captures all that was hip about 80s culture in a story that could easily have taken place in any time period. This film is about John Malkovich making an android that looks exactly like him to make a long distance voyage into space. While preparing his robot, Ann Magnuson takes and interest and ends up humanizing the robot by teaching him about human interactions in ways that are much to the consternation of Malkovich. It's a pretty dorky idea, with a robot learning about love and consequentially the other characters learn about love as well, but it's such a great cast that is all manages to work. Ann Magnuson is an actress I've always had a crush on, so I love anything she's in and Malkovich is always great, but you also get Glenne Headly, Laurie Metcalf and Polly Bergen in supporting roles. Not a classic, but quite an enjoyable film all around.
May 6, 2014
A advertising executive teaches an Android about love and life in this sweet but sometimes outdated 80's comedy. Its not a classic by any means but the screenplay and the pace of the film help make this movie enjoyable. Also, the performances of John Malkovich in dual roles are fun to watch.
February 15, 2014
I love this comedy! Malkovich' early role in '87!
August 10, 2011
*1/2 (out of four)

Dull comedy with John Malkovich at his craziest self and a scrpt that is in need of some serious overhauling.

Malkovich plays a scientist who has created a robotic double of himself that he hopes can be used at various events. The problem is he has no personality himself so he hires Ann Magnussen to teach the robot how to become charming.

She was pretty good, but the movie is mostly a waste.
April 17, 2011
A fun and easy on your brain movie about a scientist who creates and android (in his own likeness). The android's job is to perform long term space travels that a human couldn't handle. Well, somehow this android is a bit too much like his maker having emotions; add a cute girl and you can guess the rest. Its fun.
February 10, 2011
Ann Magnuson is irresistible and John Malkovich was adorable. Sweet 80s nonsense.
October 27, 2010
It has charm, but I couldn't grip with the story and characters.
Blaster1618
September 11, 2010
People are defined by the bad things that happen to them in lives. This exceptionally low budget pic makes up for the lack of visual flare with a great intellectual concept and Malkovich in dual roles. The bad part of this movie is Malkovich does an excellent job of portraying a genius scientist which will in all probability bore the general public. Anne Magnuson in her only chance I?ve seen as a leading role gives it her all and it?s very enjoyable. Highly recommended if you live an examined life.
½ August 28, 2010
Typical 80s screwball comedy. Malkovich is a supergenius science nerd who invents an android that looks exactly like him, and as a result, the PR exec who is hired to publicize the robot falls in love with the machine. Mostly silly, but okay on a slow evening.
½ August 21, 2010
John Malkovich plays double duty In what has to be one of the stupidest concepts of a film filled with the most annoying female characters...interesting since it was directed by a woman.
May 17, 2010
i think it was more funner in the 80 a posd 2 now
January 28, 2010
Hilarious. Really odd, but hilarious.
½ January 19, 2010
This is one of those cutesy, 80's, romance, sci-fi movies. And I love it! Totally cheesy! The coolest thing about it, John Malkovich! The first time I saw this, 1987, I had no idea who he was. Now, knowing who he is, and watching it again, he's still top notch.
He plays a duel role here. He plays Dr. Jeff Peters & his android creation, Ulysses. Ulysses has been created to withstand solitary space exploration, the only problem is, he falls in love. Dr. Peters on the other hand, doesn't deal well with people. See where the hilarity ensues?
Not bad for what it is.
June 20, 2009
At last I know what women want: they want robots.
I would suspect that this is merely some form of macho petulance, but the director of this film was a woman, so maybe there's something in it.
Of course, you could look at it as a kind of role-reversed Stepford Wives, so maybe what men want is robots, too.
That's how socially maladjusted we've become, at least in the fantasies of some Hollywood writers. We can't deal with each other as humans any more. Maybe that's why so many companies have their phones answered by machines nowadays. They know that's what really turns people on.
½ April 5, 2009
A lightweight one-joke comedy? Or a cleverly disguised and cynical feminist message? I'm not sure either.
October 25, 2008
This movie is different than the normal love story u see..nice idea, real catchy..the bachelor is cute too~
July 12, 2008
Major fav, very cute.
½ March 13, 2008
Excellent. The ending isn't cliché! :D Just like wanted it to be!