Maleficent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maleficent Reviews

½ October 8, 2016
The movie had a spot on cast and excellent computer graphics. However, I feel that the plot of the whole movie fell through and a lot of the scenes were just filler spots.
½ October 5, 2016
Jolie has the look, and she's great, but, it's not too memorable.
½ October 4, 2016
An attempt to add some gray into an otherwise black-and-white story...or so I thought. In reality, it's rather clear-cut who the villain and hero(ines) are. All in all, a waste of time/talent/tale.

==============
Script/Direction: B
Pretends to be complicated, but is really disappointingly simple. The "surprises" aren't surprising; the "humour" isn't humorous.

Cast/Acting: B+
Angelina Jolie as Maleficient single-handedly carries the film throughout. For the most part, she soars; it's hard to imagine anyone doing a better job. But she can only do so much, being only one person and not being in every scene.

Production/Effects: B
I thought the design of the woodland creatures was ugly.

Special/Other: 0
Massive squandered potential. No more Disney re-tellings in this vein, please. Or at least, get some better writers/directors. Better still, employ animation.
October 4, 2016
I must say that did not go as I expected, I have been charged to my favorite Disney character, advertising was misleading despite its good visual effects, have given a twist to the classic 1959 "Sleeping Beauty" fucking it all, here the king Stefan instead of a good man is an ambitious bastard, who fell in love Malefica when they were children, until the left to govern a kingdom and was the cause of their wickedness and hurl about his daughter's curse the day her sixteenth birthday is pricked with a spinning wheel and fall into a deep sleep forever, the three good fairies are so silly, so unbearable and so disastrous that do not know or care for a baby, Aurora befriends witch without knowing the terrible destination waiting, the prince Philip is so useless that has not been able to wake up the princess with a kiss of true love and above have to do it by feel guilty Malefica there's to be a moron to write something !, not to mention the changes that has made the villain, and make her a good person, put wings to be torn by Stefan while sleeping, living in an enchanted forest full of endearing creatures instead of a dark castle with its middle middle henchmen animals monsters, her raven turning it into human and in some other animal up into a dragon when she had to be the dragon, the entire movie was an insult to the character and assembly to get cut and the brilliance of a star like Angelina Jolie, if you read this criticism that I love "the Sleeping beauty" usual and even Maleficent, Ya'an: not worth watching this farce.
October 4, 2016
The idea of giving Maleficent a backstory is so obvious it's almost ridiculous it's never existed before. What a fantastic way to beef up a bland and well known story. However, it actually backfires, ruining the mystique of one of Disney's most iconic and fierce villains and in turn, the only good part of the original animated movie.
September 28, 2016
Dark fantasy. Love it.
September 27, 2016
Better than I expected. So, according to this movie the long told story of Sleeping Beatuy was wrong. Really Maleficent is the queen of the faires and is awesome and fell in love with a poor boy named Stephen who screwed her over and stole her wings to become king. She sends revenge upon his child, and then feels bad about it and tries to make it right.
September 10, 2016
Great until the cheesy narration during the last couple minutes.
September 3, 2016
I thought it was ok but was entertaining
September 2, 2016
A fantastic new script that actually makes more sense than the old one. Only the three little fairies and some other creature to improve the rest is exquisite!
!
August 22, 2016
From the start, Maleficent failed to immerse me, maybe it was it's poorly executed idea or badly written story. Once the climax had began I started to get interested, once that was over, the movie was over and so was my interest in it. As long as the film was, that's how forgettable it was.
½ August 19, 2016
How can you not like this? It's not the same as its cartoon counterpart by any means and the meaning of the story felt a bit forced but it's worth watching.
½ August 16, 2016
Beautiful retelling of a well known and loved story. It captures a lot of the darkness of the original fairytale while adding some layers and kindness to the character and narrative.
August 14, 2016
Just watched this film..I LOVED it, Angelina Jolie has masterfully crafted this role. It was done so convincingly, so full of sentiment and life, especially when she screams after her wings have been cut, you can feel her pain. The story is simple and to the point, effects are great its all just so well coordinated. When I first saw Jolie as Maleficent in a picture, I knew it was going to be something special, wasnt sure about the movie but I knew she would create something really amazing with this character, and after watching it today Im just in love with this movie and her performance, it shows us what a gifted actress can bring to the table which is to give life, literally life, to a character.
August 11, 2016
I always found the traditional Sleeping Beauty story just too unfounded. Like Maleficent is just evil for the sake of being evil. This version is really good. I really loved seeing the transformation of and reason for Maleficent's change of character. Once again, as we have seen throughout history, who was responsible for this? Man! Man's greed, man's war mongering and man's hatred of anything different from himself or he doesn't understand. Man also demonstrates his ability to betray those closest to him to feed his selfish desires. Despite the horrid betrayal, I loved the softening of Maleficent's heart as she watched the young Aurora grow.
Far better than the Disney version - good entertainment and worth much more than sad 50% critics at RT!!
August 10, 2016
Colorful, great use of 3D scope. Unique take on classic story, rewritten to give emotional power to 'villain.' Not a fan of Disney and Hollywood's ever-growing misandry angle; Man needs to reclaim Himself. Simple film, moves fast and passively, stays interesting.
August 10, 2016
Taking a classic Disney villain and making her the good guy just doesn't seem to work for me
½ August 7, 2016
It was decent. Had potential to be more but it was just missing something.
August 7, 2016
Disney has produced a nice update to Sleeping Beauty that reflects society's more evolved value towards women. Whereas the original paints women as helpless beauty prizes for "nice" males, the updated tale envisions that a woman's power, self-worth and joy is found without need of tethering herself to any man. The contrast goes further and bravely darker, with a man's horrible treatment of a woman as the creation story of the updated tale's "villain." However, redemption for males is also found in the re-imagined prince who is confused by the notion that a woman needs a man to save her. The message is that, like adventure, love is all around and in many forms. Rather than the need to show the audience a marriage to make a happy ending, we simply see the prince and princess laugh together from across an opening in a forest. Their value and contentment is found individually, and they willfully connect through the sharing of each other's joy.
½ August 5, 2016
Magnificent!! Angelina Jolie is the perfect Maleficent and the story and special efects are just amazing, a new story but with the same essense of the original animated movie.