Maleficent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maleficent Reviews

½ February 9, 2017
Jolie has some great scenes and moments, but this film didn't live up to its potential and falls disappointingly flat especially in over relying on special effects.
½ February 4, 2017
This movie shows a different aspect of the most evil villain in the Disney universe. Angelina Jolie's performance makes the movie even better. The special affects used to make the dragon and the magic were spectacular. The plot stuck to Sleeping Beauty while adding extra stuff which made the audience feel bad for the villain.
January 28, 2017
Maleficent is a good movie but is a little funny but scary moments. I like this movie a lot. It is a good fairy tale. I do not recommends kids to see this movie. This movie is the back round to sleeping Beauty. I think this movie is is mystery movie about maleficent. So discover the truth about maleficent But it was a cool movie!! I like Where Maleficent lives it's so Beautiful and pretty where she lives in the more's!! Where it is peaceful and much more that you can discover on your own. I the music was good I thought! What a great movie that I enjoy!!! I saw this movie a lot in the movie theater in 2014 it came to the theater and it was great movie of the year for me!! This should get more then 50% by movie critics, I say it got a 90% that's what I think in my opinion. Just see how cool the trailer is and then discover the truth about maleficent.
½ January 26, 2017
Si bien los críticos han sido duros con esta película, el público la ha recibido bastante bien. Disney encuentra la forma de utilizar un recurso muchas veces subestimado, que es el contar las historias desde el otro punto de vista, lo que de por sí ya me parece bastante loable. Maléfica (Maleficent) cuenta la historia del hada mala de la Bella Durmiente. Es la oportunida de saber qué sucedió en realidad, porque Maléfica es 'mala', y que sucedió después... también, Disney, como en Frozen... vuelve a cuestionar esa figura del 'verdadero beso de amor' dado por príncipes que son completos desconocidos para las chicas. El personaje de Maléfica, simplemente me encantó. Una de las villanas más complejas como personaje, para una película que parte de un cuento. infantil.
January 23, 2017
Ah, the nostalgia. Remember that Sleeping Beauty cartoon released back in 1959 where Maleficent was a villain and at one point in time turned into a dragon? Ah, the memories. Now what's this? Maleficent's getting her own movie? I don't know, it could be an obvious ploy for Disney to make money. Or could it? Okay, the film is occasionally corny at times. However, the film is visually stunning and Angelina Jolie pulls off a stellar performance in the role of the title character making this re-imagining of the original animated movie a film that's every bit as entertaining as its special effects are lovely.
January 5, 2017
I have to admit, I did not originally go to the theater to see 'Maleficent.' But, when it was released digitally, I bought the movie on the strength of the extras and the "making of" mini-video that talked about Miss Jolie and the character. I have to say it, and I'm a 53 year old guy---but this movie is BRILLIANT. It is so beautifully shot, the actors are absolutely stunning. There is truly nothing I could say negatively about any of the performances--although I did think that the depth of paranoia that Stefan's character underwent was a bit much. I mean, for 16 years did he sit in a room and look at her wings? Kind of creepy. But hey, Angelina was pure force of talent and ability and she MADE this movie. I know that Joe Roth had always said in the trades that there wasn't ANYONE who could have played that character. And boy. he was right. A person might want to discount the performance because this is a "Disney Kids" movie---but she was so- spot-on---I just can't put into words how impressive she was. I have an illness that keeps me home pretty often. And since I bought the movie----I watch it every 3 or 4 days. It makes me laugh and cry and I am such an appreciative viewer because it takes an actress---a GREAT actress---to play that role. In the scene where she awakens to find her wings gone---the angst and sadness that she bellowed was simply awesome. You could tell she was in agony. I give this movie a solid "A". I would recommend this movie to EVERYONE! Excellent script by Linda Woolverton, by the way.
January 4, 2017
It's amazing there's no other Disney movie that can come close to this. Maleficent is and always will be my favorite Disney villain.
December 25, 2016
Disney's attempt at a re-imagining of ''Sleeping Beauty'' fails to take flight in ''Maleficent'', a film that remakes, and simultaneously destroys, one of Disney's most iconic characters.

The film's attempt to provide a different take on the fairy tale we thought we know fails, as the film ruins the characters of the original movie. Maleficent, the original film's incarnation of pure evil, is turned into a poorly-done tragic character who goes against the entire characterization of the original. She is not the only character who is twisted to the point of being barely recognizable, as the three fairies are turned into bumbling idiots, Prince Philip into a useless comic relief character, and the King into a lazily-written villain who's descent into insanity is unconvincing. ''Maleficent'''s main up-side is its stunning special effects, but even that isn't enough to save this film, leaving it a rather dull experience.
December 20, 2016
It is a creative remaking of Sleeping Beauty in the antagonist's perspective but to the expense of the original motion picture's former positive supporting characters
December 19, 2016
??? ??? ??????? ????? ??? ???? ???? ???? ???? ... ??? ??? ????? ???? ???? ???? 180 ????
??????: ????? ???? ??? 2014
½ December 19, 2016
Angelina Jolie is radiant and delivers a nuanced performance in this decent retelling of the fairy tale that features dazzling visuals, a great score and a welcome modern message, even if the director tones it down to a light Disney level instead of making it more urgent and epic.
½ December 17, 2016
Way to turn an epic female villain into a weak and awful victim.
½ December 11, 2016
While Maleficent retains many of the original animated movie's building blocks, it does alter the story to the point that purists may become disenchanted with the end result. Fear not, however, as the movie works, and works very well, in its present state, with its own story surprises that offer another perspective on the many themes that run through it. It's richly told but with an underlying simplicity that allows the movie to be at once both a visual wonder but also a thematically deep journey, a novel experience while playing comfortably familiar. It's beautifully photographed, very well performed, and digitally heavy but not to the point of overwhelming the experience. It's such a success that one must wonder if Disney will look to reclaim classic animated tales in live-action form again later on down the line.
December 11, 2016
A very interesting twist to the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale. It is refreshing to be on the 'villain's' side
December 10, 2016
Of course any movie with the one and only Angelina Jolie is amazing with top notch acting from the one and only. The story has a bit of a creepy feel to it, it is dark and haunting. It's very different from the original.
December 5, 2016
I really want to forget that I ever saw this movie. Between the false-advertising, campy, deliciously evil Maleficent I went to see, and the "poor misunderstood" wretch that I saw in theaters... *retch*.

Oh yes, and the huge, in-your-face moral of the movie? "Women are good, men are evil/useless." Diavel does not count, as he is a bird.
December 1, 2016
As a cameo, Jolie's performance might have proven spectacular; but as a protagonist, she doesn't give us enough to hold onto. For all her efforts, she remains yet another special effect, however spectacular.
November 29, 2016
I liked the movie s lot. Malaficent reminds me of Sleeping Beauty.
November 26, 2016
was surprisingly good...different spin on the store
½ November 21, 2016
Great story, well acted. Easy to watch more than once.