Mamitas Reviews

• Jan 25, 2015

omg its a really good movie ð~±ð~? I fell I love â?¤ with this movieð~?ð~? omg u guys have to watch it ð'?ð'?ð'"ð'

• Jul 22, 2012

★★★1/2 (out of four) A coming-of-age story isn't compelling unless it is able to show the painful parts of growing up. "Mamitas" is succesful because the moments of pain and unsurity are handled so beautifully. It gives a nice authenticity to a story that might otherwise have been a story too often told. Jordin, played by E.J. Bonilla, is a hispanic teenager living in the Echo Park area of Los Angeles. He doesn't take life seriously enough. He goofs off in class and insults his teachers. Finally one of them (Jennifer Esposito) has had enough and he is suspended from school. The next several days of suspension he tries to find answers to several open questions in his life. But the answers turn out to be hard lessons and eye-opening realities. The script and especially the performances are sensitive and believable. It shows the growth of its characters, most noteably Jordin. He is not the same person at the end of the film as he is at the beginning. This is a welcome little indie that I'm sure will stay with me for quite some time. [img]http://content6.flixster.com/rtmovie/89/20/89208_gal.jpg[/img]

• Apr 28, 2012

cast, great - direction, great - production, great - not big on "coming-of-age" films, but this one draws you in with it's warm and realistic character interaction - beautiful portrayal of Echo Park life - see this film - you will be moved

• Apr 28, 2012

Excellent film. It had a great cast, all the actors did a great job. I enjoyed it a lot, very feel good film. If you get a chance, deffinetely take the time to see Mamitas, you will not be disappointed.

• Apr 16, 2012

Mamitas is quite enjoyable! The film opens up to gorgeously diverse and smoggy Los Angeles, and you find out quickly this movie is made by and for those of Los Angeles. First we are introduced to Jordin, a troubled high-schooler, who doesn't realize just how lost he really is. He is your typical teen, whose parents seem like his most distant allies, so he finds himself seeking friends in all the wrong places. In a ploy to showoff, Jordin lands himself in suspension. It is here that fate almost seems to draw him to Felipa, a beautiful, however, different young woman with a strong wit and sharp tongue. She knows who she is, and who she hopes to be. It's a unlikely romance that ensues, struggles are faced, bonds are stressed and broken, built and sealed. At times you feel as if this film has been done before, but never really, not in this light. "Mamitas" takes a new angle into the youth of urban America. It is a beautifully shot film, with a cast of relatively unknowns, but they all have talent, there are no moments of weakness; their characters grow before your eyes, depicting the diverse and beautiful America where love is still alive and well. Yes, "Mamitas" has its flaws, but its pluses far out weigh it's faults. I loved this movie immensely, and highly recommend it to anyone looking to smile, laugh, cry, and smile again.

• Apr 16, 2012

I loved Mamitas, it was well done!

I loved Mamitas, it was well done!