Man of La Mancha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Man of La Mancha Reviews

February 26, 2016
very much underrated
March 27, 2015
Only just seen it on TCM. Innovative production. Enjoyed it very much and the words of "Impossible Dream" are most edifying, but, then, I could be a Don Quixote!
March 25, 2015
good musical version of don quixote
February 7, 2015
It's very difficult to watch this after reading Don Quixote; Man of La Mancha seems to miss the point entirely of Cervantes's novel.
August 8, 2014
I have never seen the play nor read the book (yet) but this was cheesy in a very entertaining way.
March 12, 2014
listen to the CD and possibly see this film once and no more.
December 22, 2013
Well let's just say this little masterpiece should be cherished not just for Peter O'Toole's performance (stunning, as always), but for its positive message.
½ September 25, 2013
While somewhat faithful to Miguel de Cervantes' novel of the Man of LaMancha, the movie fails on a lot of fronts that just makes it unwatchable, mostly in the choice of cast members, Sophia Loren and James Coco particularly don't seem to be putting in an effort and those two are major characters in the story.
I have said before that I've given up diction and I'm sticking to it, no matter the horrible mistakes made in this movie, Queehanna or no Queehanna.
If you like the musical, simply buy The New Broadway Cast Recording or another version for a good version.
Oh and hope that the rumours are true that Johnny Depp isn't making his version, because this might be seen as great one day.
August 9, 2013
½ April 19, 2013
It's almost faithful to the musical play that it's based on. But the song cuts, the combat, and Aldonza's performance don't save this movie.
March 31, 2013
You can so tell the actors aren't singing at all though Peter O Toole'sdubbed singer sings "the Impossible Dream" brilliantly. Also when Don Quixote dies HOLY SHIT! Great musical, just an ok film. Peter could have done better
March 7, 2013
Brought down by plodding pacing, a very limited number of songs and a obvious cost-cutting approach to a tale that lends itself to some visual potential, Hiller's take on the Broadway classic shows us why musicals were dying out by the 70s. Though 'Impossible Dream' and 'Lord of La Mancha' are both good, the former the film's most famous tune, and a decent turn from O'Toole in the title role(s), they can't save an otherwise lackluster film that only die-hard musical fans will get anything out of.
½ September 28, 2012
Kind of slow but really interesting, almost has a Monty python feel. Peter o'toole was great and Sofia was gorgeous as always.
½ September 7, 2012
Poorly cast and shoddily assembled. The first number doesn't pop up until 20 minutes in. What a snoozer! See the stage production; it's fantastic.
½ August 3, 2012

Peter O' Toole was perfect as the gangly Don Quixote, didn't care to much for the songs though.
½ July 23, 2012
An epic story told in a clever way. It may not be as soulful as the original play, but the song "Impossible Dream" may make you shed tears anyways.
½ July 2, 2012
Not one of the best musicals with poor sets and dubbed singing. But it still has a story to tell and there are many memorable performances.
½ June 13, 2012
Don Quixote (Peter O'Toole) is a 17th century country gentleman who, after reading far too many adventure novels, plunges into a fantasy world where he is a gallant and noble knight. Accompanied by Sancho Panza (James Coco), Quixote seeks righteous battle in the name of his "fair Dulcinea" (Sophia Loren). Miguel de Cervantes' timeless novel is, in this film, transferred to a musical format and is framed around Cervantes' alleged difficulties with The Spanish Inquisition. It boasts a fine cast, memorable songs, affecting photography, and stirring direction. It is an excellent variation on Cervantes' crazed protagonist, a figure that is as sympathetic as he is immortal.
June 6, 2012
I was actually surprised I didn't really like it. Though some songs are memorable and parts of the story are interesting, as a whole the film doesn't hold up to other musicals.
½ April 5, 2012
Well, not to offend the great actors in this movie I won't be too harsh but this long musical had only one good catchy song in it and the rest was so crappy. When you watch a classic like this you expect better musical numbers.