A Man Called Hero (Zhong hua ying xiong) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Man Called Hero (Zhong hua ying xiong) Reviews

½ July 15, 2014
A cinematic adaptation of one of my favourite comic books, The Blood Sword - this FX filled fantasy has enough going for it, but there's just something about it that keeps me jumping between 3 and 4 stars. And I don't know why...

At times I find it quite entertaining, and other times, not so much.

If I'm honest, I have to say my main complaint would be the CGI - but not all of it. A Man Called Hero was the follow-up to Storm Riders (which suffers from the same problems) and back when they first came out, they were the dogs balls by HK standards. And now, with the fast growing and ever changing standards of CGI work, they seem a little out- dated. But hey, that's all I can really say bad about it..!

CGI aside, A Man Called Hero is a pretty damn good show, made more enjoyable if you know the comic book and characters that go along with it.

Director Andrew Lau has put together a strong cast which also included the big screen return of the superb Yuen Biao, and everyone does a pretty good job at what they do. The super cool Ekin Cheng plays Hero, while the handsome Nicholas Tse plays his son.

The action is aplenty, although carefully spaced out, and even though it is sometimes hindered by the aforementioned CGI, it's handled pretty well and should keep most fight fans happy.

The highlight of the action department is the fight on the Statue Of Liberty which really does, put X-Men to shame. Another great looking battle is the one between Francis Ng and Anthony Wong in the rain, which really looks like a fight scene straight from the pages of the comic.

Check it out...

You will enjoy it at least once, if only for Yuen Biao's appearance in traditional Peking Opera gear.
May 30, 2013
A interesting film to watch.
½ January 1, 2013
My favorite Kung-Fu movie.
December 28, 2012
Pretty cover.... more info would be nice.
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
April 25, 2012
several incredible fights in this, including a final battle on the statue of liberty.
½ July 13, 2011
Wildly uneven movie that is part period piece and part martial arts fantasy. Good acting and actors, but there is not enough action and the movie is slow.
June 22, 2011
it was like a part two to storm riders to me, without cloud, still one of the best movies i eva seen
May 20, 2011
I liked it, but it had a few problems. Just didn't like the special effects and thought the last fight was pretty blah. Could be awesome if it was made nowadays. Good acting for the most part though. Not bad for a one time watch.
November 23, 2010
A trajic tale that I would recomend watching. I have seen so many times and never get tirde of or have less emotion about. Great action and a definate must for any video library.
November 16, 2010
I was left with some unanswered questions at the end of the movie.
½ December 18, 2009
As a fan of the original comics, I think this is an average movie. Ekin is OK as the young Hero but not as good as the older version. Due to time constrain, most of the supporting characters are under developed.
December 13, 2009
Cool concept, retarded movie. A disgrace to the HK fantasy movie industry.
July 7, 2009
Manga style, martial arts madness and beautiful asian boys.
March 23, 2009
Un film d'action avec une qualit√?¬© et pas mal de defauts.
L'intrigue, assez captivante, nous emm√?¬®ne √? la recherche du p√?¬®re du h√?¬©ros, dans un cadre historique int√?¬©ressant : le chinatown New-Yorkais des ann√?¬©es 20. La dramaturgie est r√?¬©ussie, mais le film tombe trop dans la caricature avec les m√?¬©chants am√?¬©ricains maltraitant les chinois (certes probablement bas√?¬©s sur des faits r√?¬©els) et pire : des ninja japonais, b√?¬™tes et m√?¬©chants.
Un film rat√?¬©, √? voir uniquement pour l'ambiance historique.
½ March 19, 2009
daft in parts but good fight scenes
March 5, 2009
great action epic with awesome fx and so-so story. But in action film story isnt the key to a great film as much at style acting and pure no holds barred stunts. Well worth the view.
January 13, 2009
Rhis mvoie is amazing. IT has epuic adventures and a lot of sword fighting and japanesse filosofy. I recomend this movie