The Man From Laramie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man From Laramie Reviews

October 1, 2016
I found this western film lacking, despite having the star power of James Stewart. He plays an army colonel who is searching for a specific man who has something to do with the death of his brother. But the fi;ms big problem is that he spends most of the movie being reactive, letting others bully and harm him without much else. The movie doesn't have a very satisfying ending either so this western film fails in my opinion.
½ August 9, 2016
160117: James Stewart has always bothered me because, in his westerns, he often plays characters that have no sense of self-preservation. In The Man from Laramie, Stewart's character Will Lockhart continues on with this trend. Lockhart would have driven John Wayne and Clint Eastwood nuts. Add in the rolled up flood pants and, well, Lockhart couldn't be more...annoying. In reflection however, and upon writing this review, perhaps this characteristic is what made Stewart special to so many? He was not your typical hero but he always seems to prevail. Besides Lockhart, The Man from Laramie features a couple other mentionable characters. The easily hated, curly haired Dave (Alex Nicol) is the personification of weakness. And Chris Bolt (Jack Elam) the definition of creepy. Sadly, Bolt doe not get much screen time and is underused. To sum up my review, and in an effort to keep it short, I found The Man from Laramie a very enjoyable western. Even considering Lockhart's flaws, or perhaps because of them, The Man from Larmie is classy and fun. Not lets not discuss an exploding wagon.
½ June 10, 2016
Well made western, maybe not the most well written for character motivation, but still good.
½ February 21, 2016
Beautifully filmed and chock full of the wide ranging Western vistas the genre demands, the stranger (Jimmy Stewart) comes to town to find revenge for the death of his brother. The acting is okay here but it has trouble when up against a script like outta of some juvenile detention facility, as clunky as Lincoln Logs.
½ September 12, 2015
This was the last of director Anthony Mann's collaborations with James Stewart and I've always felt that this was the toughest of all their films together. The opening scenes where Stewart is brutalized by Donald Crisp's idiot son, who also killed his brother are pretty tough little scenes, especially considering this was still the mid 1950s. Those scenes do a great job of setting up Stewarts revenge, which is a major plot point of the film, although this film also has some elements of "King Lear" with Crisp having three potential heirs to his rancher throne. Arthur Kennedy plays one of those potential heir as the son Crisp wishes he had. It's a smart story and tougher than most pre-revisionist westerns. As westerns go, this one is a real classic.
½ September 9, 2015
Jimmy Stewart and Director Anthony Mann made great movies together, including westerns like this. What was great was how we got to see the hard edge that Mann could apply to Stewart's performances.

It was great to see how Stewart could expand his acting range like he did. With these Anthony Mann westerns, we got to see what an excellent actor Stewart was.

In this film, we are introduced to a King Lear scenario. In Shakespeare's Lear, a king is late in his reign and divides his kingdom among his daughters. As in Shakespeare, tragedy follows. We do have elements of that here. With it, we have Stewart seeking vengeance for those who sold repeating rifles to Indians who killed Stewart's brother.

The film is very well made, with an especially subtle score by George Duning, who scored many other westerns. The film has many good elements. But, it has the feel of having a script that was chipped together. There is a very good through line to the story, but we get a lot of Stewart refusing to leave town, but not telling anybody why. This gets repeated many times.

But, when the film gets to focusing on the matters at hand, it works, and the conclusion is very satisfying.
½ June 30, 2015
Once a man starts lying he can't stop.

A man who wants to keep life simple and sell his cattle to the countryside is approached by a cattle baron's worker one day and forced to take matters in his own hands. The cattle baron takes notice and has his son and #1 employee try and recruit the stranger. The stranger instead works for his biggest rival. A feud of epic proportions is about to unfold.

"I always believe I belong where I am."

Anthony Mann, director of El Cid, Winchester '73, The Glenn Miller Story, The Fall of the Roman Empire, The Tin Star, The Naked Spur, and The Far Country, delivers The Man from Laramie. The storyline for this picture is interesting and unfolds well with a slightly predictable ending. The cast delivers solid performances and includes James Stewart, Jack Elam, Arthur Kennedy, Donald Crisp, Cathy O'Donell, and Frank DeKova.

"We don't speak the same language."

This movie was recommended to me via Verizon Fios so I DVR'd this classic western. This was an above average addition that was worth a viewing. This isn't epic and far from Stewart's best film, but it is definitely worth a viewing and adding to your collection if you're a fan of the genre.

"I was expecting you."

Grade: B-
May 20, 2015
good western actioner
½ March 27, 2015
"Well...I come from Laramie.."
February 18, 2015
A pretty good yarn about a big ranch shoving around the locals. Stewart was cast as a western loner most of time and should have stayed back east as in the earlier days of his filmography, but nonetheless, this film is pretty good and not a waste of your time.

Written by Philip Yordan and Frank Burt, the film is about a stranger who defies a local cattle baron and his sadistic son by working for one of his oldest rivals.

The father of the ranch of course knows nothing of his stupid spoiled kid Dave selling rifles to the Apaches. The father is played by Donald Crisp, of How Green Was My Valley fame, an Oscar best picture.

Against all odds, Stewart leaves most everyone important dead in the film. He rides off into the sunset despite falling in love with the widow of Dave. Come ask for me if you ever visit Laramie, he says to her at the end of the film.

A huge anticlimax to a long and suspense filled movie.

REVIEWS:

60%
James Stewart is one of my favorites, but the more I see of Arthur Kennedy, the more I like.

60%
A Satisfying Western

NOTES:

1 The Man from Laramie was one of the first Westerns to be filmed in CinemaScope to capture the vastness of the scenery. The film was also shot in Technicolor. This is the fifth and final Western collaboration between Anthony Mann and James Stewart.

James Stewart as Will Lockhart
Wallace Ford as Charley O'Leary
Jack Elam as Chris Boldt
James Millican as Tom Quigby
Frank DeKova as Padre
Eddy Waller as Dr. Selden (uncredited)

Directed by

English

Box office
$3.3 million (US)
May 13, 2014
This western captures your attention from the beginning to the end. I wish the dialogue in the movies today was as good as the movies back in the day. Stewart is a great actor, as are the rest of the cast. Great twists and turns, who done its, betrayal, etc.Great for those who love the classics.
½ September 19, 2013
A classic Jimmy Stewart Western.
April 14, 2013
March 9, 2013
James Stewart is brilliant in this intelligent Western. Donald Crisp is always a delight.
February 23, 2013
A Satisfying Western
½ December 31, 2012
Anthony Mann's collaboration with James Stewart, spawned, about 5 Western films, all of those considered wonderful movies and I have always praised Jimmy Stewart for his off-screen personality as well as on-screen. Wonderful western film from Mann, this is his last collaboration with Jimmy on the genre of Western, totaling about 5-westerns.

Movie gradually opens with mild scene in the start, and look at the crafty work done on the set-designing of western town, it looks rather clean and furbished with both (I guess) dark hidden character of some of folks of the town. This film entirely captures the landscape-view, giving such a macabre sense of cinematography. All characters knew what the director was trying to get their capacity to enhance the charm of the movie.
November 3, 2012
Another great western with Jimmy Stewart. Selling guns to the Indians is never worth the effort.
½ October 25, 2012
I was not a big fan of this film. Stewart is ok, but the story is paper thin and the characters are inconsistent. It looked like things could finally shake out in the end, but they only got worse with most of the thin plot lines left open and no real resolution for the main character.

If felt like it continued to get worse and worse throughout and there was no need for it to be longer than 90 minutes, even if only by 15.
July 16, 2012
A good and different from other western genre films.
June 17, 2012
En av de bästa westerns jag sett.Fullpott.