The Man from Utah - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man from Utah Reviews

½ November 2, 2016
Great classic... the acting is not some of the best work nor is the extra staff but his usual group surrounds him such as Gabby George Hayes and Yakima Kanutt.. may have misspelled that one.. but as usual the DUKE gets the girl... note it was re conditioned and colorized in the mid 1990's... John Wayne again as John Weston.. worth a watch for any Duke buff..
½ September 9, 2016
Assuming the prerequisite of being able to stomach the brand of Z-grade westerns Lone Star cranked out over 80 years ago is met, you'll find this to be one of the more memorable and entertaining oaters from the period available. Lean and mean with a run time of less than an hour, the movie opens by treating you to a laughably bad dub job of the Duke on horseback singing a song. The encore is by far the cheesiest, fourth wall breaking grin you'll ever see from John Wayne. What follows is thankfully a much needed shift in tone to a get-to-the-bottom-of-this story about the mysterious and sudden deaths of several rodeo riders. Being such a short flick the movie gets to the point right away, offers generous action on horseback and with a six gun plus the obligatory and always welcome presence of Gabby Hayes. I just described damn near every early to mid 30s John Wayne western and for me, this one hit the spot.
November 2, 2015
It's a 1934 movie. What do you expect? I enjoyed watching this old time movie.
jjnxn
½ October 23, 2015
Just another of the pieces of junk John Wayne learned his trade in on his long way up. Strictly Saturday afternoon bottom of the bill stuff.
April 8, 2014
good B movie western
April 27, 2012
The Man from Utah (Robert N. Bradbury, 1935)

One of the many, many two-reel westerns Robert N. Bradbury directed for Lone Star Pictures featuring a young John Wayne, a young Yakima Canutt, and Gabby Hayes, who was never young. I've watched quite a few of these over the past few years, and I often refrain from reviewing them (I review all features, but very few shorts, and my personal line for that division is sixty minutes), but this one being of average quality, I figured I'd use it as an indicator for much of the batch (and for the pictures Wayne and various other members of this band of merry men were also making for Republic Pictures at the same time).

The plot is pretty generic, as far as John Wayne Lone Star westerns are concerned: Wayne plays John Weston, a rodeo star sent underocver by the U. S. Marshals (bet you can't guess what state he's from!) to investigate corruption in the annual rodeo in a small Arizona town. Seems every time someone from out of town looks like they're about to win the top prize, they end up dead, and the Marshals want to know why. Things get more complex when a pair of outlaws rob the safe containing the prize money, and Weston, having discovered the crime, is walked in on and immediately assumed to be the thief.

Nothing here out of the ordinary-Wayne gets a chance to show off some of his trick riding skills (though obvious body doubles are used for some shots for both Wayne and Canutt), the criminals are dunderheads, the good guy wins in the end. If you're a fan of the genre, this will work for you. If you're not, it won't. Simple. **
November 9, 2011
What a young john wayne.
May 10, 2011
Just a fun, old western mystery.
½ March 3, 2011
Thank goodness it is so short.
½ February 23, 2011
Wow what bad acting, bad editing, bad writing and bad directing. I really can't believe this ever got made. My first experience with John Wayne and it wasn't a pretty one. Wayne is rather stale and unnatural. The rodeo was so badly edited it was funny. There were a few good stunts involved in mounting the horses but other than that The Man From Utah is one that can be skipped when talking about good westerns.
½ March 1, 2010
Not a Bad John Wayne movie. Definitely a B Western.
November 29, 2009
Bad John Wayne B-Movie. They all were.
October 28, 2009
Has some nice scenery and a good stunt work and it's always interesting to see an early John Wayne film, but the story about crooked rodeo riders is a bit weird.
July 5, 2009
Just a fun, old western mystery. John Wayne sings, rides, shoots, ropes, and sleuths his way around a rodeo.
March 11, 2009
Outstanding movie John Wayne is my family favorite actor
½ June 5, 2008
a little dull. But still a fun Wayne western.
January 7, 2008
The Marshal sends John Weston to a rodeo to see if he can find out who is killing the rodeo riders who are about to win the prize money. Barton has organized the rodeo and plans to leave with all the prize money put up by the townspeople. When it appears that Weston will beat Barton's rider, he has his men prepare the same fate for him that befell the other riders.
September 28, 2007
Not a great film, but not bad for the genre.