Man in the Mirror: The Michael Jackson Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Man in the Mirror: The Michael Jackson Story Reviews

February 9, 2016
Kinda cheesy Michael Jackson movie maybe but I liked the effort to bring his story to a screen ... The story was fine ...
July 24, 2014
A sad story of Michael Jackson. I think Jackson still had a child mentality into his adulthood because he had to grow up fast and missed out on much of his childhood. He could relate more to young children than adults and was fond being with kids, which lead many to misunderstand him. I don't believe he was ever sexual towards them but that's the way the world perceived it at the time. The lawyer who advised him to pay out with the first sexual claim, I think was an incompetent lawyer as this created a stigma against Jackson for future claims.
April 8, 2012
This movie was just as much of a train wreck as the life it was trying to show.
February 8, 2012
I actually really enjoy most of this movie, but i do have my problems with it 2.
½ November 16, 2011
To be honest, I was skeptical when I heard they were making this movie; would this be just another "puff-piece" or would MAN IN THE MIRROR live up to its billing and deliver the definitive film portrait Jackson fans have been clamoring for? As everyone knows, Jackson's musical exploits had already been documented in the authorized and highly-sanitized AN AMERICAN FAMILY mini-series, so it's refreshing that VH-1's MAN IN THE MIRROR keeps the musical interludes to a minimum and devotes the majority of its running-time to the more compelling human story of the Self-Proclaimed King of Pop's unprecedented implosion. Starring in MAN IN THE MIRROR is the unlikely Flex Alexander (!), who overcomes his inappropriately bulky frame to deliver a sincere and memorable portrayal; from his pitch-perfect conversational tone to his wild eyes and expressions of shocked indignation, few performers have captured their subject so well! I'm pretty sure there's some actual news reel footage sprinkled throughout (the "Blanket Balcony Blunder," comments and clips from various Jackson family members), lending an added realism to the film that is by turns poignant and disturbing.

So why a four and not a five-star review? Well, this being a Paramount release, the disc is light on extras and the picture is a tad soft. Jackson's ever-changing appearance no doubt presented a formidable challenge to the makeup department as well as the film's cinematographer, and frankly I was expecting the picture to have more "pop" in contrasting the "Thriller-era" Michael with the bleached, "Marcel Marceau" Michael of the "Bad" and "Dangerous" years. Oh well, perhaps when this hits blu-ray such flaws will be corrected, and with interest in Jackson's lurid legacy at an all-time high, VH-1 may even deliver a sequel to pair with this film and the original mini-series -- a sprawling and exhaustive trilogy worthy of the MAN IN THE MIRROR himself!
½ October 22, 2011
Watch the South Park episode "The Jefferson's" and then watch this movie. In that one 30 minute episode, more truthful information about Michael Jackson was given than this entire poorly dramatized film. The dancing was short (and so not Michael), the events were questionable, and in all, it's just another movie that cashes in on the subject, rather than be truthful about it.
July 17, 2011
The movie was a complete disaster. It sucked. Such a disgrace to the late King of Pop.
½ May 6, 2011
I hate this movie. For one thing it barley mentions Michael's music. Second the make-ups cheep.
February 19, 2011
Michael Jackson es retratado como un eterno niño o, más bien, como un tipo bastante idiota. Se pasas muy por encima o derechamente se omiten los sucesos pol (C)micos de la vida de Jackson. Tratan de darle una nueva perspectiva a hechos como que el cantante exhibiera peligrosamente a su hijo sobre el balcón, como si lo hubiese hecho en un acto de ingenuidad y constante entusiasmo, pero no resulta muy verosímil esta mirada.
Cameron W. Johnson
½ December 1, 2010
It is a weak, cheesy and very underwhelming creation. Production is cheap, even for a TV film, is extremely rushed and episodic in its segments, rather disturbing at points and holds a very good deal of other problems. Casting is decently good, aswell as the soundtrack and does have its high point, but that is not enough to stop the film from falling apart. A bit of a let-down.
½ October 14, 2010
Really bad tv-movie about the life of Michael Jackson.
½ September 1, 2010
I wasn't sure what this was when I set the TiVo to record it the other night...

...Turns out is a made for television movie of the life of Michael Jackson leading up to his 2004 trails. The acting is nothing realistic, I later read that a lot of the facts are unrealistic but I still enjoyed watching this film just for a reminder of the odd life Michael Jackson led.

There is no music in this movie - they didn't have the rights to any original Jackson music. The characters didn't look much like who they were playing (Elizabeth Taylor looked about 20 years younger than she really did at the time) but the trip to Neverland was interesting to watch even if done in a low budget poorly filmed movie.
June 17, 2010
A Michael Jackson bio without the music. After his death they showed this movie over and over again on the t.v guide network so I decided to check it out, I'm not really an M.J fan but I also respect all that he did for music. The movie is crap the actor does an incredibly mediocre job and besides not looking a thing like him, he tries so hard to sound like him and it shows. This really has the horrible made for t.v movie feel.
April 28, 2010
The acting is not very good in this one, and there are none of his songs. There's a good song called 'Human Kind' at the end, but it's not one of Michael's songs.
½ April 2, 2010
this movie is full of shit making micheal jackson bad they had a bad actor i bet they made 2 cents after thatmovie
½ February 6, 2010
Focussed So Much On The Controversial/Tabloid Grabbing Aspects Of MJ's Life That I Don't Think Was A Very Fair Portrayal Of MJ, Need To Make Time To Re-Watch 'Jacksons: An American Dream' After Watching This. Jacksons Family Dynasty Is Highly Recommended!
January 28, 2010
i liked the movie alot..ri.p mj
December 26, 2009
loved the movie cause it is michael jackson. and i am in luv wit michael jackson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
½ December 11, 2009
This is the worst film ive seen all year. they dont play 1 mj song. it would have been better if mike was in it!