Man in the Wilderness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Man in the Wilderness Reviews

½ June 2, 2016
Solid survival film with a great performance by Richard Harris. It's the same tale that was made into The Revenant just recently, without the CGI bear.
April 23, 2016
Clearly, The Revenant is a remake of this movie. It's an enjoyable film and has a range of actors who have been in other things, notably Star Trek's James Doohan as Benoit.
If only Dennis Waterman could have an American accent and Richard Harris sound like someone not from Limerick!
February 28, 2016
Saw this movie years ago & it is great! I would highly recommend anyone who loves adventure to be sure not to miss it!
January 24, 2016
So much better than the farcical Revenant with its idiotic contrivances of which there are at least a dozen.
January 10, 2016
The Revenant is a remake of this movie
January 4, 2016
This is an amazing film! I don't know why the critics have not critiqued this.
December 8, 2015
Harris is great - as usual. Huston is his unsympathetic foil. Worth a watch.
August 13, 2015
perfect dble feature with Redford's 'jeremiah Johnson"
½ April 5, 2015
Richard Harris was a great actor back in the 70s and this film showcases his talent as a lead actor. Hollywood is remaking this film with Leonardo DiCaprio entitled "The Relevant," with acclaimed Mexican director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (Birdman). If you get a chance, check out the original.
March 30, 2015
I really liked this movie, but I can see how someone would find it boring. He spends the first act face down in the mud. The only complaint I have is I didn't like how everyone was terrified of this guy. I mean, if you're that afriad of him coming back to kill you why would you leave him there for dead in the first place? Even though the movie is already slow and uneventful enough, I think if he was just some normal guy who they didn't fear so much and didn't see coming, it could have made the movie better. But I did like the fact that the fear of the man reminded me of the fear people had for Rambo in the First Blood.
½ December 29, 2014
A slow, grim, and ultimately uplifting film with a few decent twists. Nothing to watch again, but it has my respect.
½ November 26, 2013
I told you. He ain't human.

A group of trappers out in the wilderness are lead by an eccentric man named Zachary Bass. He lived a troubled life, out on his own, broke, and living off the land. He married once, but his wife died shortly after giving birth. He left his family life behind, including his daughter, and returned to the wilderness. While leading the trappers, Zach is mauled by a grizzly bear and left for dead, by the bear and the trappers. Zach nurses himself back to health and heads for revenge.

"It was god's will."
"I never much agreed with god's will."

Richard Sarafian, director of Vanishing Point (1971), Gangster Wars, Splendor in the Grass (1981), The Bear, Eye of the Tiger, and Street Justice, delivers Man in the Wilderness. The storyline for this picture is real clever and an interesting character portrayal. The settings are well done but I felt the film was a bit slow. The acting is very good and the cast includes John Huston, Richard Harris, Henry Wilcoxon, Percy Herbert, and James Doohan.

"He was about the only man I ever respected...ever feared."

I DVR'd this picture because it was tied to one of my favorite Hollywood personalities, John Huston. He was an amazing director and an interesting character films. This film is no different where he played "Captain Henry." I did enjoy aspects of this film, especially the characters, but I felt the pace was a little off and this could have had more action. Also, the guy in the bear suit at the beginning was a bit much. Overall, this is just above average but not a must see.

"I'm going home."

Grade: B-
September 22, 2013
I stumbled across this while looking for Richard Harris movies. Very understated with limited dialogue. It looks fantastic and feels authentic. The realism is touched with just the right amount of fantasy to make this so called true events tale a totally captivating piece of cinema. It also helps that this movie was made in the 70's. The greatest decade in cinema history for me. Back when story counted and authenticity was important. There was simply more effort back then to try and make the finished product an affecting piece of art rather the the hi-tech bells and whistles shit that passes for cinema these days in most cases. The 70's was also the best decade for the western too. The rules for the western changed and romanticism was replaced with a bit more reality and grit. I loved this. A western fable. Stark with a rugged beauty. Harris and Huston are just great in this.
½ March 24, 2013
GREATEST HARRIS AND HUSTON ...A EPIC FILM...HARRIS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC..
½ August 15, 2012
Good movie. It reminds a lot of jeremiah johnson but a year or so earlier..
August 7, 2012
Richard Harris plays Zachary Bass, a member of a group of trappers on an expedition into the Northwest Territory. When he is injured and close to death after a hunting accident Captain Henry, the expedition's leader, gives the order to leave Bass behind. As Bass slowly recovers, living off the land, he decides to take revenge on the men who left him for dead.

Though filmed in Andalusia, Spain the film is loosely based on the 1818-1820 Missouri Expedition. The locales are beautifully used, from close up, intimate shots of woodlands to more panoramic mountain vistas. Bass's recovery is slow and ongoing through the film adding an air of realism not seen in many pictures and the violence is both brutal and realistic, with excellent use of close ups in certain shots.

Not quite a classic but if you give Man in the Wilderness the time you will not be disappointed.
½ October 25, 2011
They don't even make new movies this good.
May 25, 2011
A masterpiece of 1970s New Hollywood era which is unfortunately too little known and unrecognized as the director Richard Sarafian is. Very powerful images and theme, especially look at the ship climbing up the hills and moving in the wide plain... It's 10-year-ahead of Herzog's Fitzcarraldo and even earlier than Aguirre. Great performances of Richard Harris and John Huston cannot be overlooked!
May 26, 2010
Considering it's age, this film holds up well. A bit contrived, but Harris plays "pain" as well as any actor and this film gives him a lot to work with. Fun to watch John Huston at work. Well worth the time to watch.
April 20, 2010
a movie that shows what a person can do alone in the wilderness.