The Man Who Cried - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man Who Cried Reviews

½ June 25, 2012
Embarrassingly painful, I felt bad for all involved. It was an insult to the historical events that took place. It had potential and then it fell flat on its face with Ricci's Jewish character trying to become a professional dancer only to have WWII interrupt her love affair with Depp, a gypsy. This relationship of the two persecuted minorities was too contrived. Ricci did sing "Gloomy Sunday" so I gave it an extra half a star.
May 12, 2012
Beautifully done. Rich in history and mood. The cinematography is excellent. A story of loss and redemption and mmmm Depp!
May 5, 2012
Finest Film ever made about WWII. I cannot say enough about it... but I will try. It played like an Epocs Tale: Perseverance against devastating odds, blind ambition yielding unforgivable betrayal, a lost soul finding the loving embrace of family and community, the trap of the illusion of false security, abusive prejudice against mankind, religious misguidance, bravery at the expense of ultimate sacrifice, raw passion and the paralleled female objectification... all atop an amazing musical scare against cinematic GOLD. Gnome sayin?
½ May 5, 2012
This movie had some good an entertaining parts. However, it was all over the place, jumping from one story to another in the time line of this woman's life... and every story ended badly and in loss... the end is no better. Johnny's acting is on spot, as usual, but his part is basically that of a supporting actor and only in one of the many painful stories. Not really worth the time.
May 1, 2012
Hi? i'm JOY, am pleased for us to be friends,share ideas,
culture, pictures. If you wouldn't mind,
please reply me back
directly with my mail box ok (joy2love30@ yahoo. com)
for better and more communications.
April 29, 2012
This movie couldn't make up its mind; the plot wandered, the theme was cliche; in short, the writing was bad. It almost felt at times that some new and interesting perspective was about to be revealed, but it never really happened -- all tease and no delivery. If you're going to make another movie about the holocaust, please make it a good one because the territory has been covered thoroughly and well already and doesn't need to be cluttered up with movies that don't take the trouble to be well done. Such a disappointment from the maker of that intriguing, beautiful Tango movie. And Ricci can't speak or sing well; why her?
April 28, 2012
I found the movie to be odd at times and poorly directed at other times. I am a fan of Cate Blanchett and even her performance seemed "overacted" much of the time. The one saving grace to the movie was the wonderful performance given by Johnny Depp, his character was intense and believable. In all "The Man Who Cried" was a fair movie.
April 17, 2012
it was good, but the plot was kind of sketchy. i felt that there was stuff cut out of it and am still confused as to the entire plot. i also felt that, what a shock, it needed more depp. despite the plot holes, it was very touching and sweet. blanchett was awesome in this as well. the singing was really good in this movie, if it was really the actors or just a voice over
April 3, 2012
another christina ricci fav.
March 6, 2012
there was really no point to this movie.
½ February 27, 2012
Slow and boring. Johnny Depp barely has a role. The scenes with him and Christina Ricci are the best. I felt like John Turturro slowed the whole thing down.
½ January 30, 2012
This whole movie is pretty much comprised of staring and brooding and weird unearthly backround strings music. Whatever was supposed to be moving and captivating got lost in the unbelievable cliche.

What surprises me is what stellar talent they got for such an obvious bomb of a film.
January 5, 2012
I would have rated it a half star less, but Johnny Depp plays a gypsy. Case closed.
December 21, 2011
This movie made little sense. Not one of S. Potter's best.
November 26, 2011
good historical drama ricci and depp are perfectly cast
November 12, 2011
Visually and Musically Beautiful
½ November 6, 2011
I think the best thing about this movie is that Johnny Dep looks hot riding on a white horse! It is an interesting drama but not extremely noteworthy. A lot of the time, I felt confused about exactly what was going on. I understand the time in history that the story is told. However, a lot of assumptions are made that the audience understands what is going on. As a coming of age story it has some merit. I must say I enjoyed the music in this film too. The opera singing was great as well as the Gypsy singing.
½ November 3, 2011
This movie was so boring. The ending sucks, but so does the middle and the beginning. The first 15 minutes were actually promising, then it's downhill from there.
½ October 23, 2011
tot filmu la facut scena cu taraful haidoucs