The Man Who Knew Too Little - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man Who Knew Too Little Reviews

½ May 10, 2016
It's a thin premise: a regular guy gets caught up in international intrigue, the spy game, without being aware of it. And so it becomes a personality vehicle instead. Guess who's personality? It works sometimes, but mostly not.
May 4, 2016
This spoof on spy movies was great fun. Murray was fantastic.
½ March 30, 2016
Verry funny. I laughed way too hard the first few times I saw this film. It has many very quotable lines that I still use.
January 10, 2016
This may be interesting, with Bill Murray's improv background.
December 16, 2015
A one-joke comedy that wants to carry the absurdity of its premise throughout the entire plot. At first it is a funny idea but it wears out faster than expected, with not many smart twists to keep the story fresh, but at least Bill Murray makes it an amusing experience.
October 14, 2015
This was relevant to my interests. :)
½ October 2, 2015
It has an interesting subtext, but unfortunately not even that can save a weak script. Murray tries, he really does, but the payoff is simply 'meh'.
September 21, 2015
Really funny flick. Is it art? No. Is it Ghostbusters funny? No. I can see why the film aficionados dislike it. But for us regular joes just looking for a laugh, this move is a lot of fun. Suspend disbelief, don't go in expecting a comedy classic, and enjoy it for what it is and you'll have a great time.
September 3, 2015
One of my favorite comedies! If you don't think this movie is funny, you weren't paying attention or you have no sense of humor!
May 10, 2015
Murray's usually good as the smug loser .....usually but not in this bore.
½ April 25, 2015
Continuing my re-visitation of Bill Murray: This movie does exactly what it was supposed to do. A perfect inverted send-up of a well-known classic. Bill Murray plays the perfect fool/foil in this picture. As farcical as the premise was, the execution was very believable which I am not sure was intended. Great supporting cast including a very underrated performance by Alfred Molina.
½ April 25, 2015
What's this movie about? I don't know but it has Bill Murray in it so it must be great. A lot of action in this one, that's for sure!
April 7, 2015
The Man Who Knew Too Little is as Bill Murray as it can get. Throw a serious mystery-drama-film noir-esque film with much too serious villains, and have Bill Murray in the middle of it spouting satire and mockery non-stop on the story, and it's a commentary that becomes blissfully funny and a great pleasure to watch. The deliberate over-acting and the blend of two worlds and misinterpretation make the story juicy, and allows room for plenty of indulgent humour. It is very difficult to imagine the key role played by anyone else than Bill Murray, or half as well.
March 5, 2015
This is one of those occasions where you are best to forget the critics and just enjoy yourself. The premise is a bit of a stretch, but no more than most films if you sit down and analyze them. This simple mistaken identity picture is carried solidly by Bill Murray. His joy and charm floods each scene. I use this film in a film course I teach and sell it as Bill Murray's best comedy. I have yet to hear otherwise from my students.
February 14, 2015
One of Bill Murray's best performances.
½ February 14, 2015
Fun & interesting. Bill Murray doing what he does.
December 30, 2014
I couldn't really understand whether Bill Murray's character was supposed to be charmingly dumb or actually mentally deficient in this dreadful, unfunny attempt at a comedy. The plot harks back to classic slapstick comedies where the main protagonist gets mistaken for someone else and doesn't realise that they are in a potentially dangerous situation. Here, Bill Murray thinks he's taking part in a immersive theatrical experience where instead, he's actually caught up in a plot involving some kind of hitman and political shenanigans. These sorts of coincidence-lead comedies can be really funny and clever but you have to buy into it and I'm afraid this just fails totally. I can't work out what Murray is trying to achieve with his dreadful, deadpan performance. It's like he's at a particularly painful script read through and hasn't had a chance to read his lines in advance. There's a host of British actors that turn up to give cringe-worthy turns in supporting roles, doing nothing for their reputations. This feels almost like one of those terrible big-screen outings of 1970s British sitcoms where the script writers put in half a days work to churn out 90 minutes worth of dialogue without bothering to think whether it was actually worthwhile doing. In fact, now I think about it, Holiday On The Buses is quite a bit funnier than this.
½ December 29, 2014
I'd never heard of this before but decided to watch it because I'll watch anything with Bill Murray in it. I liked it! It's a total farce and utterly ridiculous, but it knows what it is and plays it up. Bill Murray knocks it out the park as usual.
½ December 10, 2014
Pretty good movie. The story, even if it's an adaptation, feels like a few other spy movies, but this still has some original ideas and plenty of laughs. It serves as the perfect vehicle for Murray's zany behavior and funny improvisations, which he does great.
½ December 10, 2014
I really enjoy this movie