The Man Who Knew Too Little - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man Who Knew Too Little Reviews

April 7, 2015
The Man Who Knew Too Little is as Bill Murray as it can get. Throw a serious mystery-drama-film noir-esque film with much too serious villains, and have Bill Murray in the middle of it spouting satire and mockery non-stop on the story, and it's a commentary that becomes blissfully funny and a great pleasure to watch. The deliberate over-acting and the blend of two worlds and misinterpretation make the story juicy, and allows room for plenty of indulgent humour. It is very difficult to imagine the key role played by anyone else than Bill Murray, or half as well.
March 5, 2015
This is one of those occasions where you are best to forget the critics and just enjoy yourself. The premise is a bit of a stretch, but no more than most films if you sit down and analyze them. This simple mistaken identity picture is carried solidly by Bill Murray. His joy and charm floods each scene. I use this film in a film course I teach and sell it as Bill Murray's best comedy. I have yet to hear otherwise from my students.
February 14, 2015
One of Bill Murray's best performances.
½ February 14, 2015
Fun & interesting. Bill Murray doing what he does.
December 30, 2014
I couldn't really understand whether Bill Murray's character was supposed to be charmingly dumb or actually mentally deficient in this dreadful, unfunny attempt at a comedy. The plot harks back to classic slapstick comedies where the main protagonist gets mistaken for someone else and doesn't realise that they are in a potentially dangerous situation. Here, Bill Murray thinks he's taking part in a immersive theatrical experience where instead, he's actually caught up in a plot involving some kind of hitman and political shenanigans. These sorts of coincidence-lead comedies can be really funny and clever but you have to buy into it and I'm afraid this just fails totally. I can't work out what Murray is trying to achieve with his dreadful, deadpan performance. It's like he's at a particularly painful script read through and hasn't had a chance to read his lines in advance. There's a host of British actors that turn up to give cringe-worthy turns in supporting roles, doing nothing for their reputations. This feels almost like one of those terrible big-screen outings of 1970s British sitcoms where the script writers put in half a days work to churn out 90 minutes worth of dialogue without bothering to think whether it was actually worthwhile doing. In fact, now I think about it, Holiday On The Buses is quite a bit funnier than this.
½ December 29, 2014
I'd never heard of this before but decided to watch it because I'll watch anything with Bill Murray in it. I liked it! It's a total farce and utterly ridiculous, but it knows what it is and plays it up. Bill Murray knocks it out the park as usual.
½ December 10, 2014
Pretty good movie. The story, even if it's an adaptation, feels like a few other spy movies, but this still has some original ideas and plenty of laughs. It serves as the perfect vehicle for Murray's zany behavior and funny improvisations, which he does great.
½ December 10, 2014
I really enjoy this movie
November 22, 2014
Mid-90s Bill Murray comedy, as an American who is sent off on a birthday treat by his brother to an improvisational theatre group in London that takes place in real-life locations.

Of course, he is then mistaken for a real-life spy, and thinks that those he crosses paths with are all also actors, leading to a comedy of errors throughout.

Enjoyable fluff that doesn't overstay its welcome.
November 2, 2014
Very interesting story line
November 2, 2014
The whole plot is just funny and shows how one little mix up could frankly kill you.
½ October 31, 2014
A little ridiculous in places. Overall it was a decent movie.
October 25, 2014
Watchable garbage in all honesty. Mildly amusing at times but overall a bit childish and rubbish.
September 22, 2014
Just doesn't work, and I like Bill Murray. The script is weak and the joke wears thin very early. It is hard to care about the tepid plot in this one-trick pony.
½ July 24, 2014
(First and only viewing - 3/15/2010)
½ July 23, 2014
Murray is, as usual, a highly engaging and low-key jokester, but he can't get much going with Whalley, whose role as a mystery woman remains too mysterious to engage any interest. The Man Who Knew Too Little gives Murray a chance to stretch, but his character never develops. Still, some of the gags work well, notably a goofy Russian dance sequence in which he's holding a wooden figure containing a bomb. That said, the movie is a mildly amusing, slap-stick-driven jaunt which draws the occasional guffaw when it really tries. Unfortunately the film never quite feels like it's running on all cylinders and thus never fully takes off into comic lunacy. The elements are all in place, and the script is rather clever in utilizing its characters' dual interpretations of what's occurring while also delivering double entendres. If you're looking for non-stop laughs then it will let you down, but, if you've got a soft spot for Peter Sellers-themed slapstick, you may just find it fairly amusing. The film doesn't aspire to do anything more than wring some cheap laughs out of a preposterous premise.

VERDICT: "Rent Worthy" - [Mixed to Negative Reaction] These films are only worth renting because of certain good things that are worth seeing, but are not worth paying at a theatre or the DVD to see due to bad things that overcome anything good. (Films that are rated 2.5 stars)
July 12, 2014
One of the best comedy's ever
July 12, 2014
Murray drops his wiseass persona to play a clueless, Mittyesque character who craves some excitement in his life. Unfortunately, though he is game and the material tries to be funny, it simply is poorly executed.
July 8, 2014
It had its funny moments, but the movie was ultimately forgettable.

Grade: C+
July 4, 2014
This movie was hilarious. I watched it the other night and I could not stop laughing.