The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance Reviews

July 15, 2016
...the is still the the bar for westerns.
July 14, 2016
Only 92%?! What's wrong with people?
July 5, 2016
"When the Legend becomes fact, print the legend." In the context of the film this refers to the fact that our narrator and film's main protagonist did not in fact shot the legendary outlaw Liberty Valance and that all the acclaim that he has enjoyed with telling that lie is undeserved.

It's an obvious, yet still rather powerful metaphor our own society and history. After all, so much of our collective history is in fact legends and stories. George Washington never chopped down a cherry tree, Paul Revere didn't ride the incredible midnight ride alone, and Christopher Columbus wasn't the first person to discover America. Yet we tell these stories over and over because they have a strong moral or inspirational point to them. They shape us and our society more than most 'real' people we know or ever will know. In a way, the lies we live and the legends we tell are more real than the world of facts.

Besides, who wants a little something like facts to ruin a good story right?
June 29, 2016
Writing a review of this film could take ages. Putting it simply, it's perfect in every way. What makes this this film perfect isn't the acting or actors per se. They are great and no one else could take their spot in the film, but it is what their roles in the film represent. There is a lot to think about when watching this film. A lot to discuss. Films like this give us a story that isn't what it appears to be on the surface. Ford playfully makes fun of issues such as race, law & order, and violence. One might not understand that he is doing this, which is why this film is perfect. Some will enjoy it for what it appears to be, and others will enjoy it for what it means. Thus, the finale of the film, who shot Liberty Valence?, symbolizes that. Our answer to that question will show how we interpret the film.
May 8, 2016
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is a western in the most classic and powerful sense, among the most romantic and political.
April 29, 2016
Really didn't feel this movie at all. The cast was all wrong, the sound stage setting was horrible and obvious. Very muted western...and James Steward....same character in every movie.
April 13, 2016
Maybe the greatest Western ever made. What performances, such a twist!
March 12, 2016
I heard Christopher Frayling say that this was Sergio Leone's favourite John Ford picture. When I heard that, I knew I had to check it out.
January 5, 2016
One of the best westerns out there.
December 20, 2015
I don't know why I find watching John Wayne call James Stewart "pilgrim" the entire film is hilarious?
December 19, 2015
looking back to an era when America stood for much goodness and was still young enough to want to make things better. And a time when goodness, truth and honesty were virtues we all sought, unlike the present time where our leaders lie outright and we allow it.
December 15, 2015
82%
Saw this on 14/12/15
An above average film that is made remarkable by the presence and the acting of stars James Stewart and John Wayne. It's almost predictable and you may see what's coming, but the performances of these actors and a few ofther remarkable characters make it worth the watch.
August 11, 2015
Great Old School Western...!
½ August 5, 2015
Realmente Ford era un terrible director de actores, salvo Stewart el resto es realmente espantoso.

Un muy muy buen libreto no demasiado bien llevado, innecesariamente larga y quizá inadecuadamente estructurada, pero ver a Stewart llevar su personaje al oeste es impagable.
½ July 27, 2015
Not at all what I expected.
July 6, 2015
Or a brilliant story of how the great, romanticized Wild West came to an end.
May 30, 2015
This is not only one of the greatest westerns, but also one of the greatest films ever made in my opinion. If not for another John Ford/John Wayne collaboration ( The Searchers ), one might say that this is indeed the greatest western of all time. This movie is beautiful from start to finish, and is aided tremendously by the acting of its marvelous cast. "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is the very definition of a "must watch" movie.
½ May 3, 2015
John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart are a fantastic pair in this influential and classic film, featuring a great supporting cast, beautiful lighting, and a historically relevant, human script.